Outstanding Investor Digest

Evolveus

Anyone here subscribe to OID?  I have been a subscriber for around 4 years.  I understand and like the concept of '# of issues per subscription' as opposed to being on a fixed publishing schedule, but I've only gotten 2 issues in those 4 years.  It's a great read, but the infrequency is somewhat frustrating.  I've emailed them, but haven't heard back...anyone else subscribed or corresponded with OID?

Thanks,

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here subscribe to OID?  I have been a subscriber for around 4 years.  I understand and like the concept of '# of issues per subscription' as opposed to being on a fixed publishing schedule, but I've only gotten 2 issues in those 4 years.  It's a great read, but the infrequency is somewhat frustrating.  I've emailed them, but haven't heard back...anyone else subscribed or corresponded with OID?

Thanks,

The publisher had major tragedy two years ago with both his wife and mother in law passing away within a short time. 

I remember reading the note about the editor's loss in that last issue.  I genuinely felt for the man.  That's something not to wish on anyone.  I also remember in that same note, the editor mentioned wanting to be more timely with his publication from there on out. 

• 4 months later...

I'm sure other magazines have eaten into their market as well...such as Value Investor's Insight and Manual of Ideas.  Plus there are so many God-damn newsletters around now.  It seems as though everyone is publishing a newsletter these days...nice recurring income stream I guess!  Cheers!

Agreed there are a ton of newsletters nowadays, but I felt like OID delivered value when they delivered an issue. Their '09 issue had an excellent in depth interview with Berkowitz and Fernandez along with a Klarman speech that was spot on. VII and MOI are both good althought I don't have current subscriptions. 

There is so much noise out there, it took me several years just to figure out what sources to pay attention to.  I think between sites like dataroma, 52-week low lists, this board, VIC, DDIC, the Economists, The Magic Formula, and a carefully selected collection of blogs (ie CS Investing or the Brooklyn Investor to name a few) it negates the need for a subscription service. I do like to read Grants interest Rate observer when I can, but it's pricey.

Guest hellsten

Yes, too bad OID is no longer available. I would be interested in hearing what paid newsletters, or other paid online resources, people on this board subscribe to?

I have been planning on subscribing to a newsletter and narrowed it down to the following:

The Turnaround Letter

The Rothery Report

I used to subscribe to Value Investor Insight, but didn't find it very valuable. The Graham & Doddsville Newsletter is similar and free…

Yes, too bad OID is no longer available. I would be interested in hearing what paid newsletters, or other paid online resources, people on this board subscribe to?

I have been planning on subscribing to a newsletter and narrowed it down to the following:

The Turnaround Letter

The Rothery Report

I used to subscribe to Value Investor Insight, but didn't find it very valuable. The Graham & Doddsville Newsletter is similar and free…

I bet NormR subscribes to the Rothery Report!  ;D  Cheers!

I just talked to Deborah at Outstanding Investor Digest, and she said they are working to a deadline to get  the next issue out.

She said they are working to get it out "by summer".

I see that, officially, summer starts June 20, 2012.

She said the website is being upgraded. 

OID's phone number is (212) 925-3885.

I just talked to Deborah at Outstanding Investor Digest, and she said they are working to a deadline to get  the next issue out.

She said they are working to get it out "by summer".

I see that, officially, summer starts June 20, 2012.

She said the website is being upgraded. 

OID's phone number is (212) 925-3885.

Good to have a deadline.  It's always worth waiting for.  :)

There is the ultimate value finder. It is only filled with ideas and the opportunities seem intriguing.

I'm sure all of us would have an awesome newsletter with outstanding performance if we started January 2009.

There is the ultimate value finder. It is only filled with ideas and the opportunities seem intriguing.

I'm sure all of us would have an awesome newsletter with outstanding performance if we started January 2009.

Haha, I see your taking jabs but he does write great off the path ideas.

Also I do enjoy the NormR's website. Especially when he puts out the end of year stock picks. I should have invested in a few stocks he has mentioned on the list. I will wait patiently to find the right one.

I cant speak to their newsletter specifically but Contra the Herd has an extremely good, close to 20 year track record.  They only run their own money, and limit subscriptions to 1000, so their ideas dont get too diluted.  I finally met Benj Gallander at this years FFH dinner.  I believe that Norm R knows him quite well. 

I have no shortage of ideas right now, just a cash shortage, and a pile of badly performing stocks. 

The last time I was completely out of ideas was From summer 2007 to summer 2008.  Next time I face that problem I will move to a very high cash level rather than going down the quality curve.  And find something else to do. 

Anyone know any background about the Snyder fellow of Snyder Morris that's pounding the table on CHK this issue?  I saw a couple of Munger-esque quotes in there which are encouraging.

Is it Nick Snyder...from Morris Snyder Management?  If so, yes I know Nick quite well.  He's come to our Fairfax dinner for the last couple of years.  Very nice guy!  Cheers!

Yes.  The most interesting comment by Nick Snyder on Chesapeake was that he indicated that today, Chesapeake reminds him of Fairfax back in 2006. Highly misunderstood, people think the CEO is a crook, they are going bankrupt, etc... but the assets are on the balance sheet.

Cheers

JEast