Outstanding Investor Digest

Evolveus

I signed up for OID back in 2011, I think. They only new issue I received was May of 2012.

It's says "our remaining Print Edition issues will be added to the term of your digital subscription

at the rate of 45 days per remaining issue unless you let us know you prefer otherwise.

To continue receiving your remaining issues by mail along with your digital content.

simply click here."

I think I should have like 5 (I think you get 6 issues originally) left. Does that mean if I sign up I only get 5*45 (225 days) total? I've had it for like 2.5 years with one issue. What's gonna happen in 225 days? :P

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chance to sign into the OID website and read the editor's note. This guy is too funny, he always acknowledges the fact that he hasn't produced anything in ages but makes it sounds like he will be a ball of fire going forward. I bet we see one issue and then another two year sabbatical.

If anyone subscribes and is frustrated by the restrictions on this I have a workaround I just thought of.  Install a Windows virtual machine and install the software in that.  You can then use the non-VM to capture or print.

You can also run OID on a Mac with this, install the DRM software in Parallels, or inside a virtual machine.

Not OID related but I'm interested in nextissue.ca, which is only available for iOS, Android and Windows 8.  Is there a similar workaround for it with a Windows 7 machine?

Would Virtual Box work?

If anyone subscribes and is frustrated by the restrictions on this I have a workaround I just thought of.  Install a Windows virtual machine and install the software in that.  You can then use the non-VM to capture or print.

You can also run OID on a Mac with this, install the DRM software in Parallels, or inside a virtual machine.

Not OID related but I'm interested in nextissue.ca, which is only available for iOS, Android and Windows 8.  Is there a similar workaround for it with a Windows 7 machine?

Would Virtual Box work?

Not sure if your in Toronto or not but Toronto Public Library has a partnership with Zinio which gives cardholders access to pretty much 80-90% of those magazines listed on nextissue

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried

Has anyone heard anything about OID? I've gotten one issue in like 4-5 years.

I am also wondering what happened.  This morning I tried calling and there is no answer at their two phone numbers (212 925-3885 and 212 777 3330) and OID.com is not available. 

The last communication I had with OID Customer Service was on 2/1/14 when they sent me an email saying I have 3 issues remaining on my subscription. 

• 3 months later...

The 2 phone numbers I had for OID are useless. 

I sent editor Henry Emerson a letter to the address shown on OID, and it came back undeliverable.

I'm owed $100 in undelivered newsletters, I would think OID would be classier than just disappearing with the subscriber's money.

• 4 months later...
Guest longinvestor

Does someone have the transcripts from the BRKA meetings that were published by OID? Surely someone somewhere has them.

they are copyrighted, hopefully, one of these days, author will make the available.

OID is inactive, the website no longer exists, the phone lines are down. Besides, how does copyright anyhow prevail over the contents of a public meeting whose contents were transcribed, not created by OID? No expert in copyright law, but this seems odd to me. Wouldn't the copyright belong to the original speakers i.e. Buffett and Munger?

Good question!! But there are lots of people making (more than) a buck off of Buffett/Munger's largesse.

OID was important to my own learning as an investor. But it stopped being of value after a few issues. I was relieved from spending big $ on the subscription with diminishing returns. I'd chalk the rise of the internet to OID's demise. CoBF is way more useful to me. Wonder if Emerson prowls around here?

Does someone have the transcripts from the BRKA meetings that were published by OID? Surely someone somewhere has them.

they are copyrighted, hopefully, one of these days, author will make the available.

OID is inactive, the website no longer exists, the phone lines are down. Besides, how does copyright anyhow prevail over the contents of a public meeting whose contents were transcribed, not created by OID? No expert in copyright law, but this seems odd to me. Wouldn't the copyright belong to the original speakers i.e. Buffett and Munger?

OID took great care to create and published  the transcripts from their notes, so you will have to ask them. Buffett didn't provide it to them. I'm not defending them just stating the facts.

OID took great care to create and published  the transcripts from their notes, so you will have to ask them. Buffett didn't provide it to them. I'm not defending them just stating the facts.

Not to mention I paid $200+ (or whatever it was) for a 10-issue subscription, received one issue, then they ghosted on everyone. No guilt about the damn transcript.

• 1 year later...

Basically no, the business is finished.  But there are various excerpts available online if you search around.  Old stuff. 

https://www.scribd.com/document/136379211/Seth-Klarman-Oid-Interview-March-2009

http://basehitinvesting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Bruce-Berkowitz-WFC-1992-OID-Interview.pdf

Probably more stuff on Scribd, or filetype:pdf searches through google

The website seems down. Is it possible to access previous editions of Outstanding Investor Digest?

Getting a subscription to this is one of my worst investment mistakes (on a percentage basis). I literally got one issue and the it was all about CHK. They didn't refund or anything. 100% loss with no tax write off!

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, LongHaul said:

Does anyone know how to get archived OID (Outstanding Investor Digest) issues?

I would really like to read the old transcripts of Berkshire annual meeting in the 1980's.  

I have some of the Berkshire and Wesco transcripts from the late 80s and early 90s, which I can send you when I’m back in the office. 

I’m also looking for old OIDs. If anyone has them (or knows where to get them), please send me a PM.

• 4 months later...