Eventual Good News For LVLT Shareholders?

Parsad

AT&T is jacking up data rates.  They say that the boom in wireless usage...growing at 40% a year...is responsible.  I'm sure there is an opportunity cost for some long-time LVLT shareholders, but it is very likely that within the next ten years, this sucker may start to make some real money...for its shareholders and not just Fairfax!  ;D  Cheers!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-jacks-data-plan-prices-233528599.html;_ylt=AhnvQ3HkHqxukOMT6ZRvxOSiuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTQzODhpcjV1BG1pdANGaW5hbmNlIEZQIEp1bWJvdHJvbiBMaXRlBHBrZwM3Y2YzMTQ0Ny05MDY2LTM5OTgtODE4Yi1kN2VmZWE5Y2Y4MjgEcG9zAzEEc2VjA2p1bWJvdHJvbgR2ZXIDYzExMWYwNjAtNDIyZi0xMWUxLWJkZWMtMDc3ZGJkOGExZDZh;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Parsad, Thank you for blessing LVLT!

For anyone not following Level 3 closely, this great press release came out today also.

Streamworks Selects Level 3's CDN Services to Enhance Global Delivery of Associated Press Television News Direct

NEW YORK, Jan. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Following the company's debut at CES, Streamworks, the global streaming company that uses proprietary technology and end-to-end service to help news, sports and entertainment brands deliver better streaming experiences, today announced it has signed an agreement with Level 3 Communications, Inc. to employ its expansive content delivery network (CDN). Leveraging Level 3's far-reaching global footprint and its network reliability, Streamworks will be able to deliver live, uncut video news feeds to digital publishers across its premium breaking news video service, Associated Press Television News (APTN) Direct.

The Associated Press introduced live broadcasting via satellite in 2003 when it covered the invasion of Iraq in real-time, and today it delivers breaking news video to nearly 200 broadcasters worldwide. In October 2011, AP partnered with Streamworks to utilize its proprietary encoding technology to deliver unrivaled picture quality to online, mobile and tablet devices to meet the growing demand for live content from digital platforms.

Streamworks' Universal Delivery Network (uDN) is an all-encompassing delivery solution that utilizes all of the major CDNs and ISPs to achieve the high global network penetration necessary to ensure an exceptional viewer experience.

"Streamworks is making great strides in online video experiences to bring live news and events to digital publishers around the world, and our scalable, global CDN is the ideal platform to support their objectives and growth," said James Heard, regional president of the EMEA region for Level 3. "Using Level 3's content delivery system, Streamworks will be well-positioned to accommodate increasing global demand for APTN's online streaming services as viewers around the world continue to rely on the Internet -- mobile or fixed -- to remain informed of world news as it happens."

"As digital publishers turn to APTN Direct for live, uncut news, they will have greater flexibility to provide an immersive news experience for their audiences with high-quality viewing across a variety of devices to engage with them on social platforms," said Ray Mia, CEO of Streamworks. "The addition of Level 3's CDN provides the bandwidth, worldwide connectivity, security, and control to help monetize customers' content."

Streamworks is part of the Black Ocean group of companies. Black Ocean is a digital media company that invests in, builds and operates technology businesses around the world.

About Streamworks

Streamworks is a global streaming company that delivers unrivaled live streaming experiences across any network, to any device. It is the streaming partner of choice to the world's leading front line news organizations, and its patented technology enables rights holders and brands to consistently set records for online and mobile engagement. Streamworks' 24/7 fully managed service is embedded into the world's largest broadcast facilities and data networks, saving its customers on average 30 percent bandwidth; with social tools and interactive web environments that bring people closer to the action, it enhances the live video anywhere experience; as a one-stop solution for vCommerce, Streamworks increases brands' video consumption and drives monetization.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/streamworks-selects-level-3s-cdn-services-to-enhance-global-delivery-of-associated-press-television-news-direct-2012-01-18

Guest ValueCarl

Good God, Parsad! Have you just violated your own rules with the penalty of being banned to the Island of Misfit Toys because of mentioning The Indefensible?  :o

Now, it was not that long ago that you had given prescient advice to "take some off of the table" when that Indefensible name had made a high of $40.05 fully converted. And, you did force me to BELLY UP to the BAR again during a subsequent BAC thread debate where The Indefensible was brought in out of the BLUE!

Ten years is still a long time for mere mortals to wait; therefore, I won't believe you until you LICK YOUR CHOPS and climb aboard with some LONG SHARES!

Here is a harbinger of things to SALIVATE over!  ;)

"We DON'T SELL COTTON CANDY." James Q. Crowe

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2012/01/11/level-3-lands-411m-defense-contract.html

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Defense-contractors-vie-FAA-rb-753617920.html?x=0

P.S. It's NOT IMPOSSIBLE that those IDIOTS at T REX the Dinosaur are trying to make their poor new customers poorer in paying for their SILLY $3B cash blunder which is being turned over to TMobile. Other than that, I hope Big (3) is raising their broadband prices tied to any "back-haul" services and connections to their wireless hubs that are being made!   

AT&T is jacking up data rates.  They say that the boom in wireless usage...growing at 40% a year...is responsible.  I'm sure there is an opportunity cost for some long-time LVLT shareholders, but it is very likely that within the next ten years, this sucker may start to make some real money...for its shareholders and not just Fairfax!  ;D  Cheers!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-jacks-data-plan-prices-233528599.html;_ylt=AhnvQ3HkHqxukOMT6ZRvxOSiuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTQzODhpcjV1BG1pdANGaW5hbmNlIEZQIEp1bWJvdHJvbiBMaXRlBHBrZwM3Y2YzMTQ0Ny05MDY2LTM5OTgtODE4Yi1kN2VmZWE5Y2Y4MjgEcG9zAzEEc2VjA2p1bWJvdHJvbgR2ZXIDYzExMWYwNjAtNDIyZi0xMWUxLWJkZWMtMDc3ZGJkOGExZDZh;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

since it's been 14 years of no ROI, and you say it could be 10 years; but ROI is coming. that's some opportunity cost. 24 years?

Yup!  But at least there is some possibility of a return.  One of the biggest value traps of the last 30 years.  Cheers!

Incidentally, I used the term "value trap" in the conventional sense.  Personally, I don't think there is such a thing, only poorly run businesses.  And LVLT is one of the worst as far as destruction of shareholder capital, and keeping their shareholders waiting in anticipation of that day where critical mass occurs.  Cheers!

Level 3 has done nothing but grow the intrinsic value of the business. It is Mr. Market who has been so destructive on incorrectly placing a price on the worth of the business.

Building the most advanced IP fiber optic network in the world is no easy task. Now the next stage is to deliver the content or goods, by hooking up the ends. The Super Bowl streamed live online is a prime example. Live streaming HD video over the Internet will bring in the big bucks.

The demand and trend is in LVLT's favor. All content and communications will be delivered over the Internet.

This is not not like placing an order for a steak burger with fries.

Why does FAIRFAX FINANCIAL HOLDINGS LTD/ CAN hold so many shares of Level 3 Communications?

http://www.nasdaq.com/quotes/institutional-portfolio/fairfax-financial-holdings-ltd-can-11605/increased

ragnarisapirate

Re: New Steak'n Shake Prototype Store

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »

I guess that you can kind of see it here...

http://nyctmc.org/google_popup.php?cid=421

It is really freaky that you can do stuff like that... If they ever go HD, it's just a matter of time til we are all employed as online traffic counters. ;)

Level 3 has done nothing but grow the intrinsic value of the business. It is Mr. Market who has been so destructive on incorrectly placing a price on the worth of the business.

Intrinsic value is all the cash that can be taken out of a business over its life and discounted back to the present.  Take a look at the chart below and is cash coming out of LVLT or being sucked in by LVLT?

http://financials.morningstar.com/ratios/r.html?t=LVLT&region=USA&culture=en-US

Building the most advanced IP fiber optic network in the world is no easy task. Now the next stage is to deliver the content or goods, by hooking up the ends. The Super Bowl streamed live online is a prime example. Live streaming HD video over the Internet will bring in the big bucks.

Probably, but is it enough to compensate for the annual capital costs required to build out and maintain the network, as well as pay back all of the debt the company has and will continue to accumulate?  I have no idea, and I don't think you know either, and I'm pretty sure the executives at LVLT aren't sure as well.

Why does FAIRFAX FINANCIAL HOLDINGS LTD/ CAN hold so many shares of Level 3 Communications?

They own the debt too, so they've hedged their bets.  If the company goes under, they get part of the network.  If the company succeeds, they get their notes paid off and their shares go up.  In the meantime, they've enjoyed and continue to enjoy some pretty nice interest payable on those notes.  The worst thing that will happen to Fairfax is that they will break even over the years.  The worst thing for just equity owners is they could get completely wiped out.  Cheers!

Incidentally, I used the term "value trap" in the conventional sense.  Personally, I don't think there is such a thing, only poorly run businesses.  And LVLT is one of the worst as far as destruction of shareholder capital, and keeping their shareholders waiting in anticipation of that day where critical mass occurs.  Cheers!

Well, let's say there are good businesses that are very forgiving of management mistakes.  And then there are . . . Uh . . . let us say, not so good businesses.

Intrinsic value is all the cash that can be taken out of a business over its life and discounted back to the present.  Take a look at the chart below and is cash coming out of LVLT or being sucked in by LVLT?

Probably, but is it enough to compensate for the annual capital costs required to build out and maintain the network, as well as pay back all of the debt the company has and will continue to accumulate?  I have no idea, and I don't think you know either, and I'm pretty sure the executives at LVLT aren't sure as well.

They own the debt too, so they've hedged their bets.  If the company goes under, they get part of the network.  If the company succeeds, they get their notes paid off and their shares go up.  In the meantime, they've enjoyed and continue to enjoy some pretty nice interest payable on those notes.  The worst thing that will happen to Fairfax is that they will break even over the years.  The worst thing for just equity owners is they could get completely wiped out.  Cheers!

OK fine & dandy - that chart shows the past. Let's think ahead!

I know you have a great deal of respect for O. Mason Hawkins.

In this audio he says Level 3 will generate huge huge free cash flow streams. And with the NOL's there will be no taxes.

http://www.longleafpartners.com/media%20files/050510-10.wma

Guest ValueCarl

I wouldn't worry too much about Parsad's LVLT timing comments considering up until now, he's 1:3, or wrong 66 percent of the time.

Circa 2006, he was certain Level 3 would PAY OUT in 2011 for cost basis' nearly ten times today's price($165 pps split adjusted)! And, in 08/09 at $9.00 split adjusted, or half of today's price, he was fearful of restructuring much like Eastman Kodak this morning. BTW, did O'Mason dump that one in advance of the train wreck? 

Some men are precluded from entering the FOREST because of the TREES blocking their views. The great resources are contained in the FOREST. Go to the FOREST!  ;D 

I wouldn't worry too much about Parsad's LVLT timing comments considering up until now, he's 1:3, or wrong 66 percent of the time.

Circa 2006, he was certain Level 3 would PAY OUT in 2011 for cost basis' nearly ten times today's price($165 pps split adjusted)! And, in 08/09 at $9.00 split adjusted, or half of today's price, he was fearful of restructuring much like Eastman Kodak this morning. BTW, did O'Mason dump that one in advance of the train wreck? 

Some men are precluded from entering the FOREST because of the TREES blocking their views. The great resources are contained in the FOREST. Go to the FOREST!  ;D

I don't remember the quotes you referred to Carl, but I have on numerous occasions adjusted my views on LVLT primarily to ease the burden on a friend who has an ungodly sum tied up in LVLT...whenever emailed.  ;D  We've never owned LVLT in our personal, corporate or fund accounts other than some call options we owned briefly in 2008, lost money on, and sold.  Batting 0% in actuality!  My friend is batting 0% too!  Cheers!

Guest ValueCarl

Batting negative is more realistic tied to my personal plight, but it's the retrospective compounding which turns positive that will matter in the end. See Cardboard's back of the envelope math for expectations surrounding that, i.e. six percent per year and perfectly Buffett implied for mere mortals to earn on a tax deferred basis from Mr. Manipulator. Cardboard's numbers are round and can't fathom individual cost basis' from buying into HELL.

However, to not envision 30, 50 and 100 billion dollar market caps for such mammoth capital investments over decades, assuming this enterprise is not snatched up by a more opportunistic player before then, is absolutely silly by all naysayers considering the state of broadband according to its evolutionary trends happening in real time today.

To assume a respected Buffett management team doesn't know what they're doing, or what outcomes are in front of them for working so hard, takes a lot of hubris on your part also. 

Go to the FOREST and leave the TREES behind. Follow Buffett's California Redwoods example.     

I have seen nothing but good news since I have actually become a LVLT shareholder.  In fact, I've made out like a bandit on my LVLT exposure, in large part because I have timed my purchases and sales pretty darn well. 

It all depends on the price you pay for your ownership stake versus what you believe the IV is, and I have a pretty conservative estimate of what IV is for LVLT. 

Long LVLT.

Sanjeev,

I am surprised that you have now join the LVLT debate. So, welcome to the 21st Century, my new LVLT brother.  :D ;)  The future is very bright for LVLT this year and beyond.  I am not saying that because I have made money off LVLT's notes and common a few times the past 10 years.  Most of it was luck than skills, but I am gladly taking any luck I can get these days.  Thank you for continuing the LVLT chatter on a different thread.  However, the theme is still the same. Betting on LVLT is a bet into the future. 

However, the future is all IP, and it's NOW and HERE already.  Look around you.  Every device you pick up has an IP address now.  Just because AT&T build a crapola wireline and wireless network using pinch pennies approach and running their network hot, the only people who suffers are their customers.  Now, the wireless industry is moving to LTE, and AT&T is late to the game.  Moreover, they just burned $4BIL on T-Mobile for not getting the deal done.  So, who is going to pay?  AT&T customers!(I am so glad that I am not one of those A&T customers)...  So, let's say that AT&T does get its LTE network in place, will they have enough capacity and enough "backhaul" capacity to handle the traffic.

A few weeks ago, Randall Stephenson of AT&T talked openly their needs for "fiber to the tower" and "spectrum" in order for them to grow.  Well, look who has the answers to the first problem:  LVLT.  Not only can LVLT can provide AT&T with fiber to their tower, LVLT can also handled AT&T's wireless backhaul traffic using their 39GHz spectrum.  This is the very reason why VZ chose to partner with LVLT for their LTE services.

So, while AT&T is figuring every which way possible to gouge its customers and piss them away to VZ and S by raising prices and capping data usage, they are not investing in their own network to grow.  In due time, this is going to come back to haunt them.

Oh, BTW, I had the great pleasure of turning away a AT&T salesperson this past weekend when he came knocking on my doors selling bundled U-Verse services by suckering me into a deal that I know would harm me in the long-run. 

On the consumers side, LVLT is doing everything it can to get IP traffic to your TVs, your desktop and your mobile devices by working with content owners because they finally got the Sumner Redstone religion now, "Content is King".  So that is why they have landed the APTN CDN deals yesterday and the Bollywood CDN deal last week.  This year so far, LVLT has booked for very nice size contract that has reach and scale.

So, you might think yourself, "Oh, look it.  A new year and hope is eternal".  Well, you might think that, but the world of IP is here and now, and THE ONLY NETWORK that can handle those IP traffic worldwide is LVLT.

This time around, Sanjeev, I am LONG & STRONG with LVLT...

Guest ValueCarl

<"but I have on numerous occasions adjusted my views on LVLT primarily to ease the burden on a friend who has an ungodly sum tied up in LVLT...">  Sanjeev Parsad

Last Friday, on an options expiration date, one where volatility sometimes reigns in the favor of he with the most Wall Street connected money that doesn't want to be lost, I was able to glean what ungodly really means as respects Wall Street criminal thugs who continue to act with impunity while attacking this century's most important communications company across the globe. Yup, you better believe it. 

One of Big (3)'s baby competitors, Cogent Communications' own customer, Megaupload, was entangled in an FBI raid and sweep which extended all the way to New Zealand surrounding internet related content copyright infringement laws as well as piracy. During market hours, Level 3 was quoted as saying "no comment" but the article was later updated to include the following, which I am sure came after market when they were able to absorb all the data coming in:

Travis Wachter, Cogent’s marketing communications manager, didn’t respond to calls and an e-mail seeking comment.

“MegaUpload is not a customer of Level 3. Online file- sharing customers represent a very small part of Level 3’s diverse global customer base,” said Mark Taylor, vice president of Content and Media for Level 3 Communications. Level 3 acquired Global Crossing in October.

When one refers to the indictment charges, one realizes the involvement of Cogent Communications including but not limited to aiding and abetting such fraud, might end up finding their executives in very serious trouble before this is over.

Anyway, here's where I stand in how I would expect my management team to respond to these Den of Thieves, especially this FBR short side analyst who dared to include LVLT's name as well as Global Crossing's during a stock market OPTIONS EXPIRATION DAY, one where someone or entities were looking to capitalize ILLEGALLY from such news.

<For how much longer are our management team going to tolerate these SMEAR CAMPAIGNS against us? I have done everything that I can do as a passive owner, in order to counter negatively written articles including The Motley Fool and Seeking Alpha overtime. 

This comes out on another OPTIONS EXPIRATION DATE, not less! I want to see these perpetrators brought to JUSTICE! The authorities should be looking for the proper connections here!

He was very careful to include Global Crossing's name even though Global is a derivative landing underneath the umbrella of Level 3 at this hour. There are no others in the marketplace that he cares to mention, however. 

There must be some legal remedy against these criminals. The irony surrounding today's stock price attack remains threefold at least:

1) The FBI is a LVLT customer including CDN services

2) LVLT's CDN offers services to protect against copyright laws, pirating, etc.

3) Cogent's losses in the marketplace including but not limited to the perception surrounding their business woes today, remains Level 3's gain going forward

Please don't let owners down by allowing this to go unnoticed or not adressed in some aggressive manner! Make these people stand down, once and for all!  Carl

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-20/cogent-slumps-after-megaupload-com-is-shut-washington-mover.html

The FBI searched Cogent’s headquarters, according to a note by David Dixon, an analyst at FBR Capital Markets, who cited a Wall Street Journal report and talks with Cogent. The company may lose revenue and the same might be true for Cogent competitors such as Level 3 Communications Inc. (LVLT) and its Global Crossing unit, according to the analyst.

“It remains unclear how many other similar file sharing sites may be at risk and the additional bandwidth related revenue exposure for companies such as Cogent, Level 3 and Global Crossing,” Dixon wrote in the note today. >

[move]The Trend is Level 3"s friend.[/move]

* The rising demand for bandwidth on next-generation networks is certainly what will take Level 3 into a new age of profitability.

* The need for bandwidth is higher than even water or air.

* Bandwidth demand is becoming global and it is driven by people’s need to interact more visually, rather than with their ears as has been the case historically

Interview with Sunit Patel, CFO and EVP, Level 3 Communications

11 January 2012

http://www.capacitymagazine.com/Article/2959616/Search/Interview-with-Sunit-Patel-CFO-and-EVP-Level-3.html?Keywords=Consolidating+Big+Business

It is not a question of "if" but "when" Level 3 will generate huge huge free cash flow streams with no taxes.

http://www.longleafpartners.com/media%20files/050510-10.wma

The end users demand for live HD streaming video over the Internet will become insatiable with the ability to have content available any time, any where, on any screen. The trick is to accommodate all this demand. For Level 3 it is no problem, we are waiting, twiddling our thumbs, while the wireless guys are trying to figure out how to best use their radio frequencies to handle the bandwidth that Level 3 hands over to them from their fiber optic network to then be transmitted wirelessly via radio frequencies, to any screen.

So, the owners and producers/creators of HD video content are all waiting for the last mile to do it's job. Verizon is getting it. So much so, that they spent 69 million dollars on hooking up the super bowl for the wireless hand over to Level 3's backbone to be delivered flawlessly to any screen around the globe!

I have seen nothing but good news since I have actually become a LVLT shareholder.  In fact, I've made out like a bandit on my LVLT exposure, in large part because I have timed my purchases and sales pretty darn well. 

It all depends on the price you pay for your ownership stake versus what you believe the IV is, and I have a pretty conservative estimate of what IV is for LVLT. 

Long LVLT.

First and foremost, as a value investor, one must ascertain the actual value of a company - the intrinsic value.

txlaw, I value your ability to analyze the worth of a business - the true value including all aspects of the business, in terms of both tangible and intangible factors, and potential future earnings.

If you would be so kind as to reveal your determined conservative estimate of what the IV is for LVLT, I would truly appreciate it, and any information on your valuation of the business of Level 3 that you could easily just copy & paste. I want this to be an easy one to answer.

If you are reluctant to disclose that information publicly, would you maybe do so in a private message?

Also, this message applies to anyone else who would like to volunteer what their IV price per share of LVLT is.

The Level 3 Communications Network: With the acquisition of Global Crossing, Level 3 now has 100,000 fiber miles, more than 450 core network markets in North America, EMEA, Latin America and Asia, and more than 45 core network countries. In addition, Level 3 serves 170 metro markets with 30,000 metro miles. The company operates a global services platform and owns fiber networks on three continents.

txlaw, I value your ability to analyze the worth of a business - the true value including all aspects of the business, in terms of both tangible and intangible factors, and potential future earnings.

If you would be so kind as to reveal your determined conservative estimate of what the IV is for LVLT, I would truly appreciate it, and any information on your valuation of the business of Level 3 that you could easily just copy & paste. I want this to be an easy one to answer.

If you are reluctant to disclose that information publicly, would you maybe do so in a private message?

Ben Graham, I don't generally like to disclose such information -- not just publicly, but to anyone. 

I feel that doing so invites push back from people in way that pollutes my own thoughts about IV, particularly because I tend to think of IV within a range of values based on certain key variables and my own assessment of the risks associated with ownership. 

Also, for me, IV is a moving target that changes when I get new information, so it doesn't make sense for me to say it out loud and face the risk of anchoring myself to my declared IV.

Ben Graham, I don't generally like to disclose such information -- not just publicly, but to anyone. 

I feel that doing so invites push back from people in way that pollutes my own thoughts about IV, particularly because I tend to think of IV within a range of values based on certain key variables and my own assessment of the risks associated with ownership. 

Also, for me, IV is a moving target that changes when I get new information, so it doesn't make sense for me to say it out loud and face the risk of anchoring myself to my declared IV.

[move]* GREAT post! *[/move]

[move]* GREAT post! *[/move]

Thanks txlaw, I know you don't want to be found guilty of polluting the web  8)  :

http://kevin.lexblog.com/2008/04/articles/law-firm-marketing/lawyer-marketing-polluting-the-web/