Drop In U.S. Jobless Rate Is Early Sign Of Demographic Shift

Parsad

Article discussing how going forward, there will actually be less slack in the economy as Boomers retire and there simply aren't enough people to replace them.  Cheers!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-06/drop-in-u-s-unemployment-rate-early-sign-of-coming-labor-shift-economy.html

Unemployment goes down, but then we get to deal with a population that will likely be declining... That doesn't seem like a good swap to me. It really makes me worry about the Social Security Administration and Medicare/Medicade.

Unemployment goes down, but then we get to deal with a population that will likely be declining... That doesn't seem like a good swap to me. It really makes me worry about the Social Security Administration and Medicare/Medicade.

Only solution, and one that Japan would not entertain under the same demographic shift over the last 20 years, is to increase and maintain a strong immigration policy that increases the taxpayer base.  Hardline on illegals, but increase the legal immigration levels...especially business and entrepreneurial class.  That's your only solution, as growth in GDP and taxes alone will not be able to keep up with rising costs.  It has worked very well in Canada.  Cheers!

As long as US takes immigrants, pop shouldn't decline.

update: In fact, a great policy would be to give more visa to entrepreneurs who want to start businesses in the US and invest X amount of capital.

They actually do this already.  Except that the rules are so broadly written that you can just invest X dollars in bonds which are used for a project which creates jobs and get the visa.