The American Consumer

moore_capital54

one of the many classic video's i saw in the last few days.

The typical american consumer is like the typical smoker.  They try to quit or cutback when they're running low on funds or the price of tobacco goes up. 

In the end, though, Great Recession or not, they cannot stop themselves from buying anything and everything.  And, if it's on "sale" they'll buy it -- even if they haven't made a waffle in their entire lives.  Looking at me like, you know, "Stupid...I can always sell it on EBAY."

The best thing about this otherwise tragic addiction is that I (we) (even they) can set up our affairs so that we can, at least, profit from this addiction and we aren't even considered dealers.

That's the only way I can cope with it...knowing that these profligate addicts will be bitching at the prudent among them 2 score years from now that we need to kick in a bit more to fund their retirement (so they can continue to feed the final years of the addiction).

one of the many classic video's i saw in the last few days.

The typical american consumer is like the typical smoker.  They try to quit or cutback when they're running low on funds or the price of tobacco goes up. 

In the end, though, Great Recession or not, they cannot stop themselves from buying anything and everything.  And, if it's on "sale" they'll buy it -- even if they haven't made a waffle in their entire lives.  Looking at me like, you know, "Stupid...I can always sell it on EBAY."

The best thing about this otherwise tragic addiction is that I (we) (even they) can set up our affairs so that we can, at least, profit from this addiction and we aren't even considered dealers.

That's the only way I can cope with it...knowing that these profligate addicts will be bitching at the prudent among them 2 score years from now that we need to kick in a bit more to fund their retirement (so they can continue to feed the final years of the addiction).

I enjoyed this post.

The thing we all need to remember about money is that it doesn't disappear it merely transfers around with the most productive and prudent citizens retaining the lions share and turning it into capital for investment purposes.

Household debt in the July-to-September period fell by 0.6% from the previous quarter to $11.66 trillion, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York said Monday. The driving factor was a drop in mortgage balances, as foreclosures, depressed home sales and lower housing prices reduced the amount outstanding on home loans. Excluding real estate-related debt, consumer debt rose a slight 1.3% from the previous quarter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204753404577066682927300346.html?mod=WSJ_PersonalFinance_RightMostPopular