The Fight of Richard Rainwater's Life

Parsad

Thanks Sanjeev.

I have been looking for Richard Rainwater for sometime. For the board members if they do not know...Rainwater blew up investments when he started with Sid Bass. He decided to study all of the great investors and pick the best way to proceed. He sought the advise of who else.. "Warren Buffett" . Rainwater was then a nobody. Mr. Buffett's finger prints are all over all of us that have had success.

What a terrible ending to a truly great American story. You have to like Richard Rainwater....I would encourage anyone who hasn't to read up on him to do so.

Dazel.

• 3 years later...

Reading the Fortune article just brought back bitter memories of my grandmother's long and difficult fight against PSP. I saw her valiantly fight the disease for 3.5 years before she lost the battle in 2013. Given the lack of understanding/awareness - even in the medical community - her condition was initially misdiagnosed as Parkinson's. Physical pain aside, what makes PSP one of the worst diseases of our lifetime is the fact that patients' awareness, memory and thoughts are largely intact but they can't express them --- it's almost like your mind is fine but you've become a prisoner jailed inside your own body. And the unfortunate part is that there isn't enough private funding that goes towards Research since it is so difficult to make progress when you're dealing with such rare brain diseases.

Nevertheless, I sincerely hope that Rainwater's dream team "the Tau consortium" can ultimately find a cure for PSP.

Rainwater was nice enough to meet with me one time so I could learn from him.  He was generous with his time.  Seemed like a very independent smart investor.  It was sad to read about his disease and death.

Dazel - where did you read about Rainwater losing money when he first started with the Bass'?

I saw it on Wikipedia but would love to read the original source.

He was a great investor, deal maker and business builder. RIP

Rainwater was nice enough to meet with me one time so I could learn from him.  He was generous with his time.  Seemed like a very independent smart investor.  It was sad to read about his disease and death.

Dazel - where did you read about Rainwater losing money when he first started with the Bass'?

I saw it on Wikipedia but would love to read the original source.

I'm sure you can find it somewhere.  Basically, when he started out with the Bass family, he lost a bunch of money (I think it may have been more than half) and then went on to be a more methodical investor (talked to Buffett, read Graham, etc. funny how an MBA from Stanford is not enough!).  I pretty sure that John Train featured him in one of his books, so you could look there or comb through the NY Times or the WSJ.