Boomerang - Michael Lewis

alpha231616967560

[amazonsearch]Boomerang[/amazonsearch]

This is mostly Michael Lewis' take on the events in Europe, but includes Iceland. It is a rehash of several of Lewis' published Vanity Fair articles. Having read widely on the Europe situation myself, and even having read a couple of the Vanity Fair articles previously, I still found this book hard to put down. Lewis has the knack for allowing his insight to guide the narrative to the place that is most revealing of the situation at hand. And it is fairly hilarious in spots despite the grim subject matter.

There is a chapter for each of Greece, Ireland and Germany. The author does well at getting at the pithy core of each country's woes / current situation and the crucial elements of the path that led them.

A quote that occurs to me (on the Greek citizenry): "It behaves as a collection of atomized particles, each of which has grown accustomed to pursuing its own interests at the expense of the common good".

[amazonsearch]Boomerang[/amazonsearch]

A quote that occurs to me (on the Greek citizenry): "It behaves as a collection of atomized particles, each of which has grown accustomed to pursuing its own interests at the expense of the common good".

Sounds like the US these days...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...