Biglari - A Buffett Devotee Riles His Targets (WSJ)

ExpectedValue

As for Berkshire. Mr. Biglari has never said he is trying to mimic Mr. Buffett. At Biglari Holdings' 2010 shareholders meeting, which went on for nearly five hours, he said "any comparison is a disservice to Berkshire," according to a person familiar with his comments.

Never a truer word spoken

I'm not exactly fan of this guy.  I sat next to him and his cartel at the Berkshire Meeting a few years ago.  Not to say he isn't smart, but I see several red flags with him.

please elaborate

I stood next to him at a cocktail type party for a while at the BRK meeting weekend this year. He definitely has an entourage.

Spend 5 minutes with the guy and you'll see what Mpauls means. I would not invest a dime with him, even if Biglari Holdings was trading at a ridiculously low multiple.

I do not trust the guy. I think he is truly a sneaky snake-like person. If he lost 60 IQ points he'd probably act like this:

I don't know why, but it always amazes me when I read an article like that.  The greed/envy/ego trilogy is so toxic.

I'd have no problem if Warren Buffet or Bill Gates drove one of those cars (or a fleet of them), but paragraphs like this make me steam.

"In Equatorial Guinea, 35 percent of the population (average income, $1.60 a day) die before the age of 40, and 58 percent have no safe drinking water. But Teodorin Nguema, the strongman’s son, apparently makes enough as a government minister to spend $1.2 million on Champagne in just one weekend, and import no less than 26 supercars from the U.S. in 2009."

These are the looters and tax farmers he's talking about, not the productive spending what they've earned.

--Eric

Speaking of Biglari, he sure knows how to Say all the right things in his letters

Yes, he cut the 401k for SnS employees and bought a fancy car for himself. How is this different from a third world strongman?

Last time I checked, he saved a company along with the jobs of it's thousands of associates, whereas a third world strongman generally runs his country into the ground... Plus, strongmen generally kill people. Last time I checked, Biglari wasn't on trial for murder.

I thought his latest letter was very well done. He states a compelling case and is actually starting to build a pretty impressive investment track record. Compared to existing management my guess he is going to win his seat. At that point I'll be interested intaking a look a cbrl.