Portfolio Overall Return

cmattporter

Just wondering where everyone else is in regards to their yearly return. My "A" portfolio is up 12% since January 1st and my "B" portfolio, which was mostly completed in early September 2011, is up 18 1/2%. Personally I took a big hit during the whole debt ceiling and euro crisis. If anyone cares to share their info I'm curious to see where fellow Value Investors stand.

CMP

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one?  :P

I'm up 7-8%. Annualized almost 10%. Very low volatility because I've got all in US stocks now and dollar hedges positions both ways.

The 18th of June I was down 3% and almost fully invested with the S&P500 at the same level and European indices much higher so I'm  happy so far.

Relatively happy that is, because I'll be doubling and tripling my portfolio over the coming years just by saving.

If you plan to eat hamburgers throughout your life and are not a cattle producer, should you wish for higher or lower prices for beef? Likewise, if you are going to buy a car from time to time but are not an auto manufacturer, should you prefer higher or lower car prices? These questions, of course, answer themselves.

But now for the final exam: If you expect to be a net saver during the next five years, should you hope for a higher or lower stock market during that period? Many investors get this one wrong. Even though they are going to be net buyers of stocks for many years to come, they are elated when stock prices rise and depressed when they fall. In effect, they rejoice because prices have risen for the "hamburgers" they will soon be buying. This reaction makes no sense. Only those who will be sellers of equities in the near future should be happy at seeing stocks rise. Prospective purchasers should much prefer sinking prices.

+40% year-to-date after trading and FX fees; made some money in precious metals in first half of year - silver mainly; my handful of large cap value blue chips also outperformed my equity market hedge; but now long only Berkshire in terms of stocks and still hedged with puts on the Russell (not unlike HWIC's portfolio positioning) but also still long precious metals and miners in a material way (not unlike Sprott); don't see changing anything any time soon other that tweaks here and there around this positioning; the debt needs to be reduced relative to the economy to achieve long-term economic stability - that will either happen via deflation/default or very significant inflation, or the former followed by the latter.

I am up YTD around 15-17% (using leverage) with my two core positions CN Rail and Philip Morris International leading the charge! My portfolio continues to beat the market and I have no doubt long term it will continue to do so...

During the whole debt ceiling issue, I was able to start/add to the following positions: Berkshire, Inter Pipeline, Sandridge and Frontier Communications.

Thanks,

S

dead even as of friday - hit pretty hard during crisis - largest postions in SD, MFC, PD, TDG and RY - Nov 3rd might be able to say up double digits - go SD

Interesting I am thinking the same. Was up a whooping 60% in Feb. Now up just 10%....

I was up 60% through July, now just up 20%.  Hurt.  Bad. 

Was up about 80% heading into this crazy summer. Got slowly but surely killed during the correction but I bought a lot, now trying to replenish my cash as I deployed a lot of it. Now up about 25% and hoping that the cash deployed this summer will payoff big long term.

dead even as of friday - hit pretty hard during crisis - largest postions in SD, MFC, PD, TDG and RY - Nov 3rd might be able to say up double digits - go SD

LOL - IF SD backs to 13 bucks. I will break even and then some. :)

"IF"?? You mean WHEN SD goes back to 13 bucks.  ;D

When it does I'll be posting saying that I doubled or tripled my money lol

I am surprised to see so many of you were so much ahead of the market. I absolutely get killed with the swings because I tried to manage too much this year. Better off just letting it rides.

And that freaking Sino puts caused me dearly.  :'(

SD: I think we are couple news away from a run on it.

Up a little over 8% YTD. My longs have actually slightly underperformed the market, especially recently, but my shorts have drastically underperformed the market (thus they've outperformed for my portfolio) so my performance has been decent enough.

In any case I like my portfolio right now more than I did in January, so I'm happy to just be positive and have that fact.

I am surprised to see so many of you were so much ahead of the market. I absolutely get killed with the swings because I tried to manage too much this year. Better off just letting it rides.

The people ahead of the market are much more likely to respond to this thread than the people lagging...

Down 4.35% as of today and that's because of the rally over the past week or so. I was down about 35% early Oct and was fully invested, so all I could do was grin and bear it.

Markets are still volatile, so I dunno where its going to end up on Dec 31st.  But I *think* I am positioned well over the long term :)

up approx. 10%, bought brk and ffh during downturn, still keeping very high cash levels

regards

rijk

Interestingly, that's what we did.  We put our large cash pile some into FFH and mostly into TRH about the start of the downturn and then sold TRH for a small loss when the possible acquisition by NICO fell through.  Then, we put most of the proceeds into BRK when Warren gave us the free put on the stock.  Also, added some to LRE and a speculative situation.

All in all, we are about where we were when the market peaked a few months ago, up > 20%.  More importantly, our portfolio has inherent resistance on the downside to market volatility and plenty of upside.  :)

I probably hold the record this year:

Down about 25% ytd.  Things are starting to turn up rapidly.  Leaps on bac, ge, rimm, jpm, wfc, and virtually ever common position I held got hammered this year (ssw, rbs.pr.p).  Sold several weaker positions to buy better companies dirt cheap through the whole downswing.  Took enough tax losses to shield me for a year or two of gains.  Extremely happy with my portfolio now.  I was buying 2014 january bac 10 leaps at barey above a $1 before the Eurozone announcement for petes sake.  Should bac rise back to 17 I will make 10 x my investment - 180000. 

Three bright spots so far: bby leaps, ffh, fmd - small canadian co. That just got taken out. 

Also took relatively small losses on my Lifecos when operation twist was being contemplated.  Got out of them completely. 

8 yr. Returns circa 22% rigth now.