Book on valuing companies in different sectors

alwaysinvert

Sorry, this doesn't conform to the usual form of posts in this section but I thought it fitted best here anyway.

I'm looking for a book that takes on companies in different sectors, the obstacles in valuing them vs other companies, accounting peculiarites etc. Some real depth would be preferrable and not only "look at DSO" or "software companies have high R&D". Is there something like that out there?

If not, members on this board should get together and write one :)

It's one of the best investment books out there, IMO.  I should clarify that he doesn't necessarily going into a ton of detail about valuations within each sector, but explains things like moats, hallmarks of success and risks within each industry and gives a lot of great examples.

Sorry, this doesn't conform to the usual form of posts in this section but I thought it fitted best here anyway.

I'm looking for a book that takes on companies in different sectors, the obstacles in valuing them vs other companies, accounting peculiarites etc. Some real depth would be preferrable and not only "look at DSO" or "software companies have high R&D". Is there something like that out there?

If not, members on this board should get together and write one :)

I have a book, brought to my attention some time ago by a friend, that is a bit dated

http://www.amazon.com/Financial-Analysts-Handbook-II-Analysis/dp/087094083X

Security Analysis and Business Valuation on WallStreet - Hooke. This is a pretty good book that lays out the valuation for stocks in general and then specifically covers a few industries that differ from the general technique like banks, P&C, Oil and Gas. I bought the 1st edition but recently a second edition has been released. This book can be considered as the next level after Pat Dorsey's book.

Vinod

S&P Industry Surveys are regularly published for over 50 industries.  Each survey goes into depth and is usually 30+ pages long.

Each of the industry surveys includes about a five page tutorial for analyzing companies in that particular industry. 

My public library, and alma mater's library provide free electronic access via a product called "S&P NetAdvantage".  Your library may offer free access too.