SEDAR.com alternative?

Liberty

Hey. I was wondering if there's a more high-tech alternative to SEDAR.com to get filings from Canadian companies.

SEC.gov has a RSS feed for each company page so that you can easily track new filings. Anything equivalent for Canada, either on SEDAR or on another site?

SEDAR.com looks like it was made in 1996 and never updated...

To my knowledge, Sedar.com and Sedi.ca are the only two sites that companies directly report too.  Any other sites might have some sort of automated data gathering tool that you have to pay for such as CanadianInsider.com

If you think Sedar.com is bad, try sedi.ca.  Very painful.

• 3 years later...

Why don't we all write to the minister of Finance asking for a refresh of SEDI and SEDAR. The company maintaining the servers was awarded the contract in 1996 and never invested a dime since then they just collect random fees since then and invest the proceed in other sectors at very crappy returns. SEDAR and SEDI are just a joke, seriously, look at that old font from the 90's... what do investors from around the world think when they login.

BeerBaron

Why don't we all write to the minister of Finance asking for a refresh of SEDI and SEDAR. The company maintaining the servers was awarded the contract in 1996 and never invested a dime since then they just collect random fees since then and invest the proceed in other sectors at very crappy returns. SEDAR and SEDI are just a joke, seriously, look at that old font from the 90's... what do investors from around the world think when they login.

BeerBaron

Whats the name of the company ?

BeerBaron

The first time I went to the site I thought it was fake. I couldn't believe Canada had such a backwards looking regulatory page.  A 17 year old with Wordpress could make something nicer looking and more functional.

BeerBaron

Whats the name of the company ?

Don't know, I stumbled on it while looking at micro caps in Canada. Needless to say I passed.

BeerBaron

i think SEDAR and SEDI are very easy to use ! 

there's no fancy CSS coding; just the basic html , which makes it very easily searchable and you can quickly scroll through it every morning to see if your company made an announcement - the companies you clicked before will show up in a different link colour.

you can also very quickly search key words like MD&A , circular, statement to quickly find the quarterly , annual, and the voting materials -  i say i am faster in SEDAR than EDGAR !

i also like how new files after around year 2000 are in PDF format - which is formatted nicely for my screen - stuff from EDGAR are in html and i can never get the font size right to read comfortably.

SEDI is also very easy to use -

I hope to see the system stays the way it is :))

Gary

Gary,

The things you listed (PDFs, search function, etc) are not mutually exclusive from an updated version with a better user experience. As Nate said, it really wouldn't be a ton of work for a decent programmer to VASTLY improve SEDAR while keeping the few good things about it the same.

When I say 'search' - i mean it's the simple ctrl+f function in the browser...  it's not a webpage search.  SEDAR by default lists ALL publications of a company from the initial IPO.  And everything is text based, so loads super fast.  All I need is to search the keywords in the browser to find the documents I want to read.... It doesn't even get simpler than that.  I've been to websites like EDGAR where they have fancy boolean , the 'AND' , and quotation marks, etc to make it more searchable - I tell you, i have a hard time finding stuff I am looking for in there... 

the simpler the better - make it like a bulletin board and lets flip through them like how Buffett used to in manuals :))

Another nice feature some may not be aware is sedar is searchable from Google.  If you want to find let's say constellation software on sedar. You just type "constellation sedar" in Google search and usually the first result takes you directly to the sedar page for the company.

I know Edgar can't handle this kind of easy search and the company name had to be exact whereas Google tends to know what you are looking for.