Your annual expenditure poll

shalab
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also depends on what exactly you are measuring. Should one include their household's maintenance capex, or just pure opex? For example, should depreciation on your car count as household expense? What about the principal portion of your mortgage payments? Home improvements or renovations?

2 people, renting a 1.2k sq/feet apartment, no kids, late 20s. $40k last year, but we got married. In the $30k range this year, but we moved and bought a bunch of appliances and furniture. As long as I have books and a computer I'm happy, and my wife doesn't spend much either, so we're living pretty frugally. I'd rather save what I earn now and invest it since I'm pretty young and time will help with the compounding.

I think my "all in" total expenses are around $6.000-$9,000 a year. That is for food, housing, gas, insurance, everything.

And I thought I was frugal,  ;D , where do you live?

Without a girlfriend or wife, I can tell you that.

I'm without wife/girlfriend and own my home and at least think I'm pretty frugal. I probably run about $12-14 thousand a year, but I could easily do under $10k if I needed to.

I think my "all in" total expenses are around $6.000-$9,000 a year. That is for food, housing, gas, insurance, everything.

And I thought I was frugal,  ;D , where do you live?

Cincinnati. I run a tight ship!  ;)

yeah, no gf or wife living with me. haha

Stanley you are my new role model.

BeerBaron

hahaha. thanks, man!  8)

BeerBaron

hahaha. thanks, man!  8)

Wow!  $6-9k a year?!  That's impressive.  Are you currently incarcerated?  That's the only way I could see expenses being that low.

BeerBaron

hahaha. thanks, man!  8)

Wow!  $6-9k a year?!  That's impressive.  Are you currently incarcerated?  That's the only way I could see expenses being that low.

Pretty much!

Well, my electricity is about $50-$100 a month. My food is $100 or less (i would guess probably closer to $50). Gas is about $100. My insurance (car, home, health) is around $200 or so a month. My property taxes are around $2000 per year. My internet is about $35 or so.  Hmmm...if we say $80 for misc stuff (gifts, dates, etc)....that's about $9,000 or so a year.

No way. You are saying you spend less than $2/day for food? That's impossible.

I eat at my mom and dad's and take home leftovers a couple times a week. ;)

No way. You are saying you spend less than $2/day for food? That's impossible.

I eat at my mom and dad's and take home leftovers a couple times a week. ;)

Mooching!  ;)

I figured food either came from parents or the taxpayers.  Nothing wrong with that though (the parents anyway).  If you are out of your 20s and getting food from your parents, perhaps that's not such a good thing any more.  I assume that isn't the case though. 

What is wrong in getting food from parents in your thirties and forties? May be the parents are wealthy or need company for dinner.

There would seem to be a difference between dining with your folks and taking home some leftovers, however often that might be, and a strategy of saving money on food by doing so.  Food shouldn't go to waste of course.  Maybe if someone is doing this they can bring their laundry over too.  While mooching on the food maybe Mom can iron the socks and underwear and pack a sack lunch for the next day.

What is wrong in getting food from parents in your thirties and forties? May be the parents are wealthy or need company for dinner.

There would seem to be a difference between dining with your folks and taking home some leftovers, however often that might be, and a strategy of saving money on food by doing so.  Food shouldn't go to waste of course.  Maybe if someone is doing this they can bring their laundry over too.  While mooching on the food maybe Mom can iron the socks and underwear and pack a sack lunch for the next day.

Lol... Guys let's not start judging people here. Please. All he did was share his situation and he didn't do it to be judged.

I'll second the rest and say that someone running a tight ship like that is also my hero.

I, for one, will tell you that I have the type of mother who, if I was living in the same city as my folks, would definitely want me home to eat almost on a daily basis for as long as I'm a bachelor at least, to make sure I'm correctly fed (or whatever reasons moms have) and she wouldn't take no for an answer.

You guys can judge all you want! I save up a ton and should be able to semi-retire in the next 5 years or so. I just turned the big 3-0 this year. Ended a long term relationship earlier this year and I am enjoying the single life! 8)

You guys can judge all you want! I save up a ton and should be able to semi-retire in the next 5 years or so. I just turned the big 3-0 this year. Ended a long term relationship earlier this year and I am enjoying the single life! 8)

Then I take it back! You're my double hero  ;D

Stahleyp you are on the right track and don't listen to anyone that says otherwise, you remind me of myself in University, I was probably burning less than $100 a week as well, but when I graduated I had a 6 figure brokerage account fully invested in equities. Now a good week at this household amounts to your annual expenditures, but thats part of life and I enjoy spending my hard earned money, you can't take it with you!

Here is a great quote from Confucious:

He who does not economize will have to agonize.