What do you use to track your portfolio and watchlist?

Liberty

Hey,

I'm curious to know what you guys use to keep track of your portfolios, watchlists, and to check out stocks.

I know we have a wide range of investors here, so some are probably using Google Finance while others have Bloomberg terminals.. Still, I'm curious about the whole spectrum (particularly curious to know how Parsad does it, actually, because I really like the way he thinks :) ).

Let's learn from each others' experience. So what are you using? I'm sure some of you have really polished workflows that others could benefit from. Thanks for sharing!

Me: A pretty simple spreadsheet and some Google Finance portfolio watchlists. My main complaint is that the canadian prices are delayed (in practice it doesn't change much since it's not like I'm trading on short-term moves, but it would still be nice to have real-time without having to log into TD Waterhouse).

I keep my portfolio on google finance this is to help avoid logging into my account and wanting to make an impulse purchases.  My watch list is also a google portfolio that has alerts set up via yahoo finance once it reaches 5% of a buy/sell price.

Also have a piece of paper next to my sceen with everything I'm interested in written out and why, too see if the reasons are still intact when rummaging through the Internet.

Portfolio is set up using Google Spreadsheets importing Yahoo Finance quotes. (only because I have no idea how to get warrant quotes on Google Finance.)

Watchlist is set up using Google Finance.

I jump between Google and Yahoo to check out stocks.

Also have a piece of paper next to my sceen with everything I'm interested in written out and why, too see if the reasons are still intact when rummaging through the Internet.

I like that you have it handy.  I have a list but not as easily accessible, so it's easy to forget sometimes.

Google finance portfolio/watchlist for me also.

I also have the excel addin from Randy Harmelink's yahoo group page.  The only problem with that group is they can't access Canadian stocks. 

For those who haven't seen it, it's pretty powerful stuff they've created in this group, led by Randy.  (the group's name is smf_addin)

Jae Jun creator of Old School Value blog, also uses the same addin for his spreadsheets.

Portfolio is set up using Google Spreadsheets importing Yahoo Finance quotes. (only because I have no idea how to get warrant quotes on Google Finance.)

they use the + sign. for example. aig is aig+. wfc is wfc+. bofa has two. bac+a bac+b. Hope you get the idea.

If I put in aig+ Google finance is not able to recognize the symbol. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Vinod

I keep track of my performance using Smartmoney.com free portfolio tracker. I use yahoo finance and an SMF excel spreadsheet to research companies. Interactive Brokers for trading ($1 trades) and a small Scottrade account for real time quotes (I’m too cheap to pay IB for real time quotes). I only trade a couple times a month so most of my time is spent on smartmoney watching my portfolio and watchlists.

Note on Scottrade vs IB. 2 trades a month in an IRA at Scottrade cost 168/yr. At IB, if I trade 10 or less times per month it costs $120 per yr plus the $30 IRA fee. This allows me to dollar cost average/reinvest dividends without feeling like I’m being eaten alive by fees!

they use the + sign. for example. aig is aig+. wfc is wfc+. bofa has two. bac+a bac+b. Hope you get the idea.

If I put in aig+ Google finance is not able to recognize the symbol. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Vinod

Vinod, it doesn't seem to work through the Google Finance website, but if you're using the =GoogleFinance() function in Google Spreadsheet, it works fine.

Thanks peter_burke_ceo -- the =GoogleFinance() function is so much faster and more reliable than =importData() using Yahoo Finance.

Vinod, it doesn't seem to work through the Google Finance website, but if you're using the =GoogleFinance() function in Google Spreadsheet, it works fine.

Thanks peter_burke_ceo -- the =GoogleFinance() function is so much faster and more reliable than =importData() using Yahoo Finance.

Thank you!

I'm looking for something that can show your annual returns as a %, including dividends, and compare it to different indexes. Can Google Finance do that? I use Google Finance for quotes and as my main 'watch list', but haven't ever tried entering in actual transaction info.

I like how Mint.com imports your info automatically (in theory), but it seems to have issues..doesn't import purchase price..only seems to let you add one purchase price per stock, doesn't look like it takes into account dividends, etc..

I wish my brokerage (scottrade) would just show this info, but they are always about a decade behind on technology. What brokers have great reporting info?

I'm looking for something that can show your annual returns as a %, including dividends, and compare it to different indexes. Can Google Finance do that? I use Google Finance for quotes and as my main 'watch list', but haven't ever tried entering in actual transaction info.

I like how Mint.com imports your info automatically (in theory), but it seems to have issues..doesn't import purchase price..only seems to let you add one purchase price per stock, doesn't look like it takes into account dividends, etc..

I wish my brokerage (scottrade) would just show this info, but they are always about a decade behind on technology. What brokers have great reporting info?

The only way to get the annuanized returns is to use the xIRR function in excel. You need to have the cash flows included in the calculation.

BeerBaron

• 2 months later...

I don't use Google Finance anymore to track my portfolio as it can't take notice of buying a foreign currency without actually directly buying a stock in that currency. It already gives an error of 6-7% over a 1-year time span as I bought dollars fiercely when the euro/us dollar pair was at 1.40-1.45.

I am using the xIRR function to keep track of my real CAGR over time.  I'm thinking of adding a chart of my performance and my benchmark. As I deposit new money on my portfolio regulary, I can't just make a simple chart beginning with my starting capital. I should probably start with a neutral value of 1/100/1000/whatever for both my portfolio and benchmark and then adjust it for achieved CAGR times the numbers of years (and adjusted months and days left). Problem is I would have to keep track of my CAGR on a regular basis, like every month. Am I making this to complicated? Are there better ways to solve this?  :P (I don't want to use 'spikes' on my chart indicating capital was added or subtracted.)