Sears To Sublet Store Space

Parsad

Finally, somebody is brainstorming at Sears.  Lately we've seen a number of ideas implemented that they should have done long ago, including licensing their core brands to other retailers, and now subleasing store space inside their Sears stores.  Cheers!

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2011/09/23/sears-to-sublet-store-space.html?ana=yfcpc

Finally, somebody is brainstorming at Sears.  Lately we've seen a number of ideas implemented that they should have done long ago, including licensing their core brands to other retailers, and now subleasing store space inside their Sears stores.  Cheers!

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2011/09/23/sears-to-sublet-store-space.html?ana=yfcpc

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903791504576587141377384636.html

Through its real-estate arm, Sears, which has been losing business for the past several years, has listed on its website nearly 4,000 of its namesake and Kmart stores that have space for other merchants or retail operations to lease. That is close to the total number of stores Sears and Kmart operate in the U.S.

On Thursday, the retailer said it had struck two lease deals. Western Athletic Clubs Inc. has signed a contract to take over 69,000 square feet of a 273,000-square-foot Sears store in Cupertino, Calif. The health club is expected to open in December 2012.

A Gonzalez Grocery Store will take over 41,000 square feet of a 104,000-square-foot Kmart in San Diego. The specialty grocery store is expected to open in November.

Last year, Sears leased about 15% of the space in its Costa Mesa, Calif., store to women's fashions retailer Forever 21.

When you take the total amount of space available throughout their network of real estate holdings, the geographic locations and the *possibility* that this may be the trough of the cycle (if you take a long term view), this might be a shrewd strategy to extract value for shareholders.

i am still waiting for eddie to buy a stock for shld.

Yah that was the old thesis.

He has been so busy buying back his own stock that I am not sure he is able to buy stock in others i.e. running low on cash that he is starting to finally monetize his assets (real estate, brands) which is maybe a good thing.

Maybe if he gets good cash coming in + his own stock becomes more expensive he will stop buying back his shares and start buying others with the cash coming in or with overvalued stock.

With the way things are macro wise I am not holding my breath.

I haven't followed SHLD very closely, but with the way market noise can move a stock price, I'm surprised an announcement like this hasn't moved SHLD.  A sign that most have given up?

I think you re right.

Cramer doesn t like SHLD anymore, LOL

Still interesting to follow.