Buffett fundraiser for Obama

petey2720

My admiration for Buffett is declining by the day. I liked him so much more when he stayed away from the media and politics. Another thing that Buffett does not impress me with is this lack of leading by the example on the taxation debate. Tough to have credibility when you have spent your life avoiding them.

IMO, Hillary Clinton would have been a much president (call it Bill's 3rd term if you wish) yet he endorsed Obama and he is still today. The guy has done very little for his country so far and is likely to continue. He is totally unable to make deals with his opponents. Negotiation certainly does not appear to be in his skill set. Boehner is no better, but I think that a president needs to put the well being of the country ahead of a party line.

The best thing I have heard lately is a suggestion from Nelson Peltz who suggested that Obama should not seek re-election and use his remaining 2 years to do what is right for the U.S. instead of this constant pissing contest between far right and far left. I won't hold my breath on that one.

Cardboard

My admiration for Buffett is declining by the day. I liked him so much more when he stayed away from the media and politics. Another thing that Buffett does not impress me with is this lack of leading by the example on the taxation debate. Tough to have credibility when you have spent your life avoiding them.

He's playing the game as the rules currently exist.  Why on earth would you handicap yourself to make a point?  That's like people choosing to not eat meat just because of factory farms or something like that--though in that case it might be healthier for you, it effects no change whatsoever.  One person doing something voluntarily isn't going to change anything.

He's playing the game as the rules currently exist.  Why on earth would you handicap yourself to make a point?  That's like people choosing to not eat meat just because of factory farms or something like that--though in that case it might be healthier for you, it effects no change whatsoever.  One person doing something voluntarily isn't going to change anything.

I agree. It's obviously better if one person forces everyone else so it gets done the right way.

He's playing the game as the rules currently exist.  Why on earth would you handicap yourself to make a point?

Why???    Because his campaign for President was based on bringing the country together. Ending partisanship.  Overcoming the rancor.  Compromise.  Doing whats right.  "Change" you can believe in.

In all these things Obama has been an utter failure.

Myth, I would say the same thing if Romney or Perry becomes president and act the same way.

Obama had a huge chance to move the country forward. The stock market and confidence started to move in the right direction just around 3 months after his inauguration. Instead, the energy and momentum was spent on an healthcare bill that does not seem to please the majority, trying to place caps on emissions, chasing the ones to blame on the housing fiasco (ended up being the surviving banks who are needed to help the recovery), an $800 billion stimulus package that went where?

The reality is that the ones who tilted the balance to make him president: young black and hispanic who came in great number to vote, where before showed little interest in elections, are the ones who have suffered the most during his term. Their unemployment numbers have skyrocketed.

Way too little was done on regaining momentum which is done with job creation. Lots of social programs, pleasing Green Peace and helping the unions at GM and Chrysler. Nothing or very little was done for the private sector to create jobs. Nothing or very little was done to make America a leader in some new sector via investment and innovation.

Seeing that, the American people decided to switch to Republicans at the House and now, nothing gets done whatsoever. Gridlock in the midst of a depression with two groups as boneheaded as it gets.

Cardboard

My issue is you guys seem slightly one sided.... Just slightly.....

Yep... Just slightly... Lol

It's Buffett's right to support whomever he thinks is more aligned to his thinking and values.

It's not a new thing for him under the Obama administration.

He fought against those that were trying to eliminate the estate tax

He constantly said that the tax system was unfairly tilted his way throughout the Bush years so all this is not a new thing for him, and I've been happy with what he's done with BRK all along.

I liked him so much more when he stayed away from the media and politics.

I think you'd like him to speak up if he happened to agree with your views.

He's playing the game as the rules currently exist.  Why on earth would you handicap yourself to make a point?

Why???    Because his campaign for President was based on bringing the country together. Ending partisanship.  Overcoming the rancor.  Compromise.  Doing whats right.  "Change" you can believe in.

First and foremost, the handicapping that you quoted, was in regards to Buffett. It is the classic Prisoner's dilemma... I don't blame him a bit for trying to get out of paying taxes to further his investable assets. Even if the money went to the government, it probably wouldn't be allocated as wisely as it is by Bill and Melinda Gates (who he donated to, and, as a result, won't pay virtually anything in estate taxes).

Point 2: Buffett did support Hillary Clinton; he donated money to both her and Obama... once Obama became the nominee, the rest is history.

In regard to President Obama, he has done a great job of compromising... for example: the republicans got 99% of what they wanted in the debt talks. Obamacare was a pathetic excuse of the socialization of medicine (which, is what the guy initially would have wanted). We are still in Iraq. The guy has been a pathetic excuse of a progressive liberal when it has come to getting the agenda that he campaigned on enacted into law...

And why would you think that the country would ever be civil in politics? To actually say (and expect) that one man should be able to change the divide that has been alive for most of human history is either ignorant or simply a way of trying to get your party in office.

And this defense of President Obama is coming from a guy who donated money to Rand Paul... Not that the guy is blameless- he isn't. The guy isn't the christ child that the left would have him painted as and he certainly isn't the devil that the right thinks he is. He is simply mediocre... a good talker, but, in the end, a mediocre president.

The reality is that the ones who tilted the balance to make him president: young black and hispanic who came in great number to vote, where before showed little interest in elections, are the ones who have suffered the most during his term. Their unemployment numbers have skyrocketed.

I don't wear any hat as far as left or right is concerned but higher unemployment has absolutely nothing to do with Obama. Problem was created over several years and Obama or anyone else does not have any magic to fix it quickly. Unimployment will go down only after housing starts improves because that's the biggest contributor. It should happen in next 1-3 years and meanwhile any policy proposed by either parties are not going to do much to make any huge difference in quick time. In my opinion, throwing incentive is not going to push businesses to start hiring. They will hire only when they need to hire.

You just need to get out now before they shut the door on the coming flood of refugees:

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/

I have made good use of this site. Will let you guys know how it works out. I leave on Sat..........

With that said ragnarisapirate is correct, the left is deeply annoyed with Obama. The professional left (Cornell West, Amy Goodman, Bill Maher, and many others have all, but given up) and the amateur members of the base seem demotivated. The right is as well, so is the populous movement, and the banksters / capitalist.

Given all of that he is doing something wrong. Something very wrong. You shouldnt be disliked by all factions, Bush always had his base.

I think you'd like him to speak up if he happened to agree with your views.

Unfortunately I believe this is correct with regard to alot of posters. I still like Munger even though he is on the other side of the aisle.  8)

With that said Cardboard has been one of the most rational members of the board, and has provided great insight for me at least regarding politics. He has inmo adequately articulated what the none crazy ones on the right see in the situation. I will agree Obama is community organizing and not leading, and I hardly know where he stands on anything these days. With that said he is herding cats. Angry, bitter, irresponsible cats whose only real goal is seeing him not get a second term. I also agree with you that I dont see this years batch of election slogans selling well (4 more years, I am the least bad options, it could have been worse) selling so well to those that put him over the top.

Obama has failed and Hilary inmo would have done much better, but ets not pretend the other guys deserve or are even qualified to get on the court.

With that said I highly recommend this article to anyone with 5 minutes to spear. I think the guy is dead on.

http://www.truth-out.org/goodbye-all-reflections-gop-operative-who-left-cult/1314907779

You just need to get out now before they shut the door on the coming flood of refugees:

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/

I have made good use of this site. Will let you guys know how it works out. I leave on Sat..........

I will be 1 - 3 years right behind you.  My wife has thrown in the towel and now she is pushing to go!  She wants our kids to get citizenship there, and the requirement is that we are residents for 3 years before they turn 18.  But it's better to go sooner than later when on that path.  Sounds great to me  :)

Really how did you swing that with family and all. Hopefully its as good as I remember. I am walking into a housing Bubble and likely China slow down but you only live once and its not like things are all peachy over here. Hopefully that lesser dirty shirt fits better....

I wasn't even talking about Obama.  I actually agree that Obama has not been a strong leader, but honestly the Republicans are not interested in ANY sort of compromise.  It's their way or the highway.

Really how did you swing that with family and all. Hopefully its as good as I remember. I am walking into a housing Bubble and likely China slow down but you only live once and its not like things are all peachy over here. Hopefully that lesser dirty shirt fits better....

I visited Sydney and Melbourne last year, and the cost of living was much higher than I expected! On the other hand, the food is wonderful, people are great, and every random coffee shop is like the best coffee shops in Los Angeles. I also love the "hotels" with no guests and a lot of beer. Amazing quality of life.

I agree with everything Cardboard has said so far.

While watching a couple of the Republican debates I think Romney or Huntsman would be the safest picks as Presidential candidates for next year's elections.

I'm not a fan of the American parliamentary system. I much prefer the British parliamentary system for it's stability.

IMO, Hillary Clinton would have been a much president (call it Bill's 3rd term if you wish) yet he endorsed Obama and he is still today. The guy has done very little for his country so far and is likely to continue. He is totally unable to make deals with his opponents. Negotiation certainly does not appear to be in his skill set. Boehner is no better, but I think that a president needs to put the well being of the country ahead of a party line.

The best thing I have heard lately is a suggestion from Nelson Peltz who suggested that Obama should not seek re-election and use his remaining 2 years to do what is right for the U.S. instead of this constant pissing contest between far right and far left. I won't hold my breath on that one.

Cardboard

I totally agree that Hillary would have been a much better president, but remember that WEB endorsed both until Obama won the primary.

Contrary to what people are saying, Obama's approach has not been to tow the party line up until his recent hard line stance on taxes (taxing munis -- wtf?).  He's been very much in the middle, but he hasn't been able to broker any deals.  I seriously doubt it's his fault, though.  The House Republicans are intent on recapturing the White House, and they're willing to throw the country under a bus to do so. 

For this situation, you could modify WEB's quote on what happens to the reputation of a management tackling a business with a reputation for poor fundamentals.  The management's reputation tanks.  Well, here, when you have the folks in Congress acting like a bunch of two-year olds, you're bound to get destroyed by the media for a failure to make those kids behave.

For me, the main problem is this austerity push.  If you had a guy like Romney running for president but that was not pushing for austerity, I would likely vote for him over Obama.  In fact, if Romney gets elected, I won't be too unhappy because I bet he'll flip flop on the whole austerity thing. 

If Rick Perry gets elected, on the other hand, I'm moving to Australia.

Really how did you swing that with family and all.

My mother in law is the only thing keeping her here.  She is 80 yrs old and in rapid decline physically and mentally.  There are three other siblings here locally to check in on her and she is now getting a full time caregiver in the home.  The past 5 years since she had her major cancer surgery my wife has been that full time caregiver.  But she now concedes it's time to think about what's best for the kids.  The quality time with her mother is fading fast -- she loses the plot in conversation these days.  I don't think she'll be with us any more in a year or two, at least mentally.  She really doesn't take care of herself (overweight, eats poorly, drinks, etc...).  Now she has bone spurs in her back that is making it very painful to stand -- so she sits a lot and this only accellerates the physical decline.  Well, how morbid.  Glad this is anonymous.

Taking her to Sydney for a month every year the past 5 years has been a very sound investment for me.  Now she sees how lovely it is there for raising children.  And I have all this extended family there  to help with resettlement planning (two of my cousins are teachers in Sydney).

As for my parents and seeing the grandchhildren -- they spend a few months in Sydney every year anyhow.  And we live 1,000 miles apart here in the US.  So really, it's almost the same.

But I already have my Australian citizenship so all we need to do is get on a plane and go.  The kids will get theirs 3 years later.  Then we can always come back.  But it will be such a fun excursion.

Humm ERICOPOLY looks like your investment has paid great dividends. I am guessing the kids really like it as well. I will be heading to Melbourne for at least a year, but likely longer. Will have to pop by Sydney at some point to check out that great family house you talk about from time to time. Hopefully the lucky country stays lucky for a little bit longer. They have issues, but at least from here it looks like there government actually works.....

I visited Sydney and Melbourne last year, and the cost of living was much higher than I expected! On the other hand, the food is wonderful, people are great, and every random coffee shop is like the best coffee shops in Los Angeles. I also love the "hotels" with no guests and a lot of beer. Amazing quality of life.

Yes I really enjoyed the quality of life, and am quite pleased that the exchange rate has dropped to 99 cents a few days before I go. Sure beats 1.09.

Myth - Thanks for sharing the link

No prob let me know what you think when you get a chance to read it.

I'm not a fan of the American parliamentary system. I much prefer the British parliamentary system for it's stability.

As do I, our system no longer works.....

I wasn't even talking about Obama.  I actually agree that Obama has not been a strong leader, but honestly the Republicans are not interested in ANY sort of compromise.  It's their way or the highway.

I'm not that bright when it comes to politics.  I keep seeing this notion that "the Republicans are not interested in ANY sort of compromise." 

In what sort of compromise are they not interested? 

What proposed compromise have they turned down? 

Wasn't the debt ceiling raised by many trillions of dollars?

I want to try to understand what people mean when they say this.

Guest misterstockwell

As do I, our system no longer works.....

Myth--on this, we can totally agree. If I was your age, I would be fleeing the country as well....

Speaking of....did you see that in NZ, they do a physical on you, blood work, BMI, etc. , and if you don't make the cut, you can't immigrate and become a citizen. That's brilliant! If the government is going to provide your health care, you only get to come in if you are healthy. How much would that save our government if we implemented that here in the USA before you got Medicare/Medicaid.