Pabrai's Call to Arms!

Parsad

I had dinner with Mohnish the night before the AGM.  Just us and mutual friends.  I did ask him one question that I thought I would share with the board.  The question was, would he ever consider working for Berkshire or Fairfax?

His answer:  "Before I started Pabrai Funds, I sent a letter to Buffett, asking if I could work for him.  He turned me down.  That was the one place I really wanted to work, but it didn't happen.  So if the call ever came, it would be like a call to arms and it would be my duty to serve.  But other than Berkshire, I would probably not work anywhere else."

Cheers! 

I had dinner with Mohnish the night before the AGM.  Just us and mutual friends.  I did ask him one question that I thought I would share with the board.  The question was, would he ever consider working for Berkshire or Fairfax?

His answer:  "Before I started Pabrai Funds, I sent a letter to Buffett, asking if I could work for him.  He turned me down.  That was the one place I really wanted to work, but it didn't happen.  So if the call ever came, it would be like a call to arms and it would be my duty to serve.  But other than Berkshire, I would probably not work anywhere else."

Cheers!

I suspect there are a lot of folks on this board who feel the same way about Berkshire and Fairfax.

Good to hear that Pabrai can be drafted if need be.

Interestingly though, the one who got the call is not Monish but Weschler... Nobody knew him while Monish is quite known in the value investing community. And his returns are quite better...

>>>  No, Weschler returns appear much better and this on top of a larger (at least currently) capital base.  Plus Mohnish has had his share of serious losses on various issues, something that more than likely would bother Buffett.

That was my point. I learned value investing primarily through the writings of Buffett, Tilson and Pabrai. They are good at marketing themselves but are not necessarily among the very best investors (excluding Buffett who is in a league of his own...). That's irony of it.

Having said that, I think it's great to have people like Tilson or Pabrai who share their ideas and principles quite openly. They bring a lot to the community.

Having said that, I think it's great to have people like Tilson or Pabrai who share their ideas and principles quite openly. They bring a lot to the community.

I second that. People who are generous with their ideas - like many of the people on this forum - usually get more in return than what they give away anyways, so it makes a lot of sense.