Online Gamers Crack AIDS Enzyme Puzzle

Parsad

I've played FoldIt, it's nice (and very challenging).

There's also the automated version developed by the same lab at the University of Washington that you can run in the background on your computer (it only uses CPU cycles that would be idle). It's called Rosetta@home and it does very cutting edge science (the computational design of proteins is a holy grail of biology and would totally change medicine):

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/

I've been running it since 2005 (mostly in the winter, since it heats up the apartment with electricty that is actually useful) and have accumulated 3.6 million credits :)

hahaha. Liberty, you are a man after my own heart.  ;D

:)

Do you also run distributed computing stuff? If so, which projects are your favorites?

I have ran one in a long time. I tried the SETI one a long time ago and I looked at one of the cancer ones or something a while back. I liked the part about heating your apartment with it. haha.

I liked the part about heating your apartment with it. haha.

I live somewhere where we have tons of very cheap hydro power, so we have electric heating. I figure I might as well have that electricity do something useful for humankind before it heats the place :)

It would be even better if I had a dozen old PCs that I could use to heat the whole place from one end to the other during the cold months.. Comfort from science, literally!

I have ran one in a long time. I tried the SETI one a long time ago and I looked at one of the cancer ones or something a while back. I liked the part about heating your apartment with it. haha.

I had tried SETI as well.  Haven't had spare computing power/net connectivity since that time to try other projects.  Are there any projects out there like SETI now?