Mind blowing peek into future of 3D printing

onyx1

There are a few companies out there that does this.  I remember Jay Leno doing a segment on it a few years back for a part on one of his collectible cars.

Wal Mart uses this technology when working with focus groups.  Think the shampoo bottle would be more appealing with a different curve in the bottle?  Let's print it up and see how you would like it while holding what you described.  Very cool technology. ;D

• 1 year later...

UCSD is "Printing" Blood Vessels in Seconds

http://www.dailytech.com/UCSD+is+Printing+Blood+Vessels+in+Seconds/article27686.htm

"But researchers at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) -- a top player in the field of tissue engineering --have used a new method called dynamic optical projection stereolithography (DOPsL) to grow a fractal network of 3D blood vessels out of soft biocompatible gel.

"

UCSD is "Printing" Blood Vessels in Seconds

http://www.dailytech.com/UCSD+is+Printing+Blood+Vessels+in+Seconds/article27686.htm

"But researchers at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) -- a top player in the field of tissue engineering --have used a new method called dynamic optical projection stereolithography (DOPsL) to grow a fractal network of 3D blood vessels out of soft biocompatible gel.

"

Yeah, I'm particularly interested in 3D printing as a way to make the extracellular matrix for replacement organs that can then be seeded with your own stem cells. Then you've got an organ perfectly matched to you, no chances of it being rejected, like new!

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/19/makerbot-releases-the-2199-replicator-2-0-a-leap-forward-in-home-3d-printing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29

"Replicator 2.0, A Leap Forward In Home 3D Printing"

I think 3D printing is going to be one of the main forces behind the globalization trend reversal that we will see in the coming decades. Fascinating stuff.

Now, how to make money off it...

I use a 3d System rapid prototyping at work, and it's a great tool. But I'm very sceptical when I hear that it's going to be as big as the Internet.

First, I don't see a rapid prototyping machine printing any electronic device. An IC mask is precise to the nano-meter, I can't think of any non-high tech lab equipment precise to the nano meter.

Second, there are varieties of materials in all products. Take a look at the amount of polymers on the market, each has it's speciality. No consumer could afford to have 50 cartridges to build stuff.

Finally, it might seem efficient but it's not. It's a very long process to 3D print and it requires that the machine does not stop in the middle of the printing.

It might make it's path in some specialities, for example handyman work, artists and such. But not at the levels the Internet did.

BeerBaron

Well this technology is only at its infancy and it will take awhile for it to become useful for mass production yet the direction is clear. See above link for printing blood vessels, and there are already ways to print IC and nano scale objects.  It has a huge technological and economic benefit which is giving it a very strong tail wind for faster development.  Compare what's now available and what was available five years ago or even just three years ago. It's amazing...  In addition lets keep in mind that items are constructed now because of various limitation of the construction or assembly itself.  You might have five different materials as different objects due to assembly limitation yet if you were to 3D print it you might only require one material.

I use a 3d System rapid prototyping at work, and it's a great tool. But I'm very sceptical when I hear that it's going to be as big as the Internet.

First, I don't see a rapid prototyping machine printing any electronic device. An IC mask is precise to the nano-meter, I can't think of any non-high tech lab equipment precise to the nano meter.

Second, there are varieties of materials in all products. Take a look at the amount of polymers on the market, each has it's speciality. No consumer could afford to have 50 cartridges to build stuff.

Finally, it might seem efficient but it's not. It's a very long process to 3D print and it requires that the machine does not stop in the middle of the printing.

It might make it's path in some specialities, for example handyman work, artists and such. But not at the levels the Internet did.

BeerBaron

BeerBaron... Stop being so critical. This is what is going to save (or rather, replace) your liver someday! ;)

Yeah, I'm sure he'll turn around when he gets his brand new 3D Beer Printing Machine.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57493377-76/3d-printed-meat-its-whats-for-dinner/

"Peter Thiel's philanthropic foundation gives up to $350,000 to a company named Modern Meadow, which plans to use 3D bioprinting to create an "edible prototype" that's a meat replacement."