Does anyone subscribe to OID?

Buffetteer

I've been a subscriber for over 2 years and have received maybe 3 issues! I mean what's the point, the last issue was over a year ago.

Anyone else a subscriber or have any insight into the company, I'm considering cancelling my subscription. If you have nothing to write about in these economic times than there's something wrong, IMHO.

I have a subscription. I haven't received an issue since I started (except the most recent one which they send as a freebie).

I like the business itself. They agree they won't publish until they have enough good information. The issue I received had a wealth of good stuff in it. I knew what I was getting into though. So I'll just wait patiently. :)

I like the business itself. They agree they won't publish until they have enough good information. The issue I received had a wealth of good stuff in it. I knew what I was getting into though. So I'll just wait patiently. :)

I haven't cancelled my subscription because I really do like their content, it's great...when they publish it. Problem is they rarely do.

I think the publisher/editor had major health or family related issues that prohibited steady and predictable publication.

He did mention that in the last issue (Aug. 2010), but made it seem that was the reason for the long delay in getting that issue out (prior to that, latest issue was Mar 2009) and that they are now back on track. That was a year ago.

I think the publisher/editor had major health or family related issues that prohibited steady and predictable publication.

He did mention that in the last issue (Aug. 2010), but made it seem that was the reason for the long delay in getting that issue out (prior to that, latest issue was Mar 2009) and that they are now back on track. That was a year ago.

I just posted the same thing in another thread.

It's almost as if Henry, the editor, is serving up ideas for people who take the idea of making 20 investments over the course of a lifetime seriously. Good investment ideas arrive when they arrive. Ditto for the issues.

When Henry started OID, 20 punches was a new idea, and few people had heard of Warren, or Berkshire. In those days, the value community was tiny, and it was hard for one nascent value investor to connect with another.

Henry scouted young value investors and introduced them to the community. He found Bruce Berkowitz when he was still a salesman for Lehman, and Tom Russo when he was entirely unknown.

OID was the house organ for Warren's brand of value investing. Every aspiring value investor subscribed to it, and cribbed from it, and the ideas generally worked.

Today, the value community is large, and it's easy for like-minded investors to connect with each other on boards like this, so OID isn't as relevant as it once was.

I'm a subscriber of OID for over 15 years and I have never bothered with their slow publishing schedule. That's their credo, less is more. They just follow Buffetts words: "We don't get paid for activity, just for being right". You only need 20 punches over a lifetime and they will never follow in the footprints of a Business Week, thus print a weekly magazine only to receive subscription and advertising revenues. I even would be very, very happy, if they would only publish one issue every 5 years. ;D  I love OID, they are probably one of the best investment magazines out there.