Vote On New Board Feature

Parsad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I received a request to add a "recommendation" feature.  The board has one that isn't activated, but it operates more in line with how the Yahoo recommendation feature works.  If you like a post then you click it, and if you dislike it you can click it and it subtracts from the recommendations.  This poll just checks to see if there is demand for the feature.  Cheers!

This is terrific... while surely not perfect, it would be very helpful to me (particularly on very busy days).

To me it seems comparable to position weightings with investing.... what is your conviction in a specific investment?

Although this would be a voting machine, not a weighing machine situation. :>) Something to keep in mind!

The members of this board are of a higher standard than other places. But have seen it degenerate into a petty personal rating as opposed to a content rating on other sites. Would be pity to allow that possibility, even if remote, here. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan

Sanj,

IMO, the volume of messages on this board is quite manageable so far.  For that reason, I personally don't feel the need for a recommendation system to help me sort the wheat from the chaff.  If the volume picks up drastically, then it could be helpful.

FWIW, the MSN board had a recommendation feature, and it was rarely used by members....and certainly there were a great many posts that merited a rec.

SJ

The members of this board are of a higher standard than other places. But have seen it degenerate into a petty personal rating as opposed to a content rating on other sites. Would be pity to allow that possibility, even if remote, here. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan

I agree with the above.

Dan

I agree with the above.

I concur with both of you, but would add that in the unlikely event that this did happen, the feature could always be deactivated if things got a little "chippy". I see the worst-case scenario in activating this as being pretty much non-existant.

-Crip

Yeah, I think we can kill this feature if we decide to later.  Personally I like to get feedback on my comments and posts, so I appreciate these kinds of rating features.

It also is a helpful behavioral psychology tool to see what others think.

Ben

Votes have been tallied, and it looks like people want some sort of recommendation system.  I will activate the "karma" feature that the board has.  Then I'll do a vote a month from now and see if people want it to stay or not.  Cheers!

So the feature is activated.  On the left hand side of user posts, it will say "applaud" or "smite".  I'm not sure exactly what it will look like until people have started recommending.  If you don't see it, check your settings on your personal profile to activate "karma".  Cheers!

Sanj,

I just did "smite" on your post just above, and the count of "Karma" went down from 3 to 2.  No offense intended obviously, I just just testing the functionality.  Perhaps I should just applaud you to even it out?  ;D

Oh, now something that's not so good I guess:  by "applauding" your post, I notice your other posts also benefit from the karma - much like the number of posts updates automatically when you write a new one.  Was this intended?

It looks like you rate the person overall rather than rate the specific post. I'm not sure I'm confortable with that. I might well like a post, but if it's from someone that I don't know enough, it would be more difficult to recommand the post (like we used to do on MSN board). It was a great tool to gather feedback and to track interesting threads. This new feature is very different from the old one. I'll probably vote against it next time you post the poll.

Cheers!

Another note about applaud/smite . . . you can do each repeatedly to the same poster; it simply tracks the net +/- for the poster. 

Overall, I'm ambivalent about a rating system, but this particular one seems to have some issues. 

Yeah, it seems to be working that way, so I'm going to turn the feature off.  I want only something that would recommend a single post.  They have regular update packages, so over time someone will probably add that function at which point I will update the software and incorporate it.  Cheers!