Using ignore feature

rranjan

Parsad - I just noticed that we have ignore feature in the forum now. I was just playing around with the setting under profile if I ever want to use it in future. Putting anyone in ignore list still shows the user post but text get hidden. Is there any setting where ignore makes it really ignore( I meant invisible to me).

Just curious at this moment because we don't have many people here who can potentially become a candidate for my ignore list in future.

I don't think anyone should use ignore feature for ignoring an opposite view point. But after seeing some one's post in many different threads, you might simply want to make that person dissapear.

Not having this feature is not a big issue because you can easily chose not to read some one's posts. Still having such feature will come handy when based on historical posts, you can be absolutely sure about not missing anything by making someone invisible.

Just curious at this moment because we don't have many people here who can potentially become a candidate for my ignore list in future.

This is the only forum I've ever been a part of that doesn't have someone that I may potentially want to ignore.  It's a great group here.

Awe -- you don't want to be hard on people.  Everyone makes mistakes.

Let's say for example...oh I don't know...how about someone is given a list of cheap tech stocks such as DELL, HPQ, CSCO, IMB, and MSFT.  And let's say this person recommended HPQ over the other stocks, confidently extolling on the virtues of HPQ vs the others just before HPQ experiences an unprecedented implosion. (I can't resist mentioning that I did warn to stay away from HPQ at the same time).  And let's say this same person has been recommending BAC since $11-12/share.  Most would rightly want to ignore this person's stock recommendations because they have been so disastrous but that wouldn't be fair...gotta give the guy a chance to redeem himself.

Even more, let's suppose this same person likes to pontificate on his subjective personal views about the role of luck in the world and how luck should be incorporated into the tax code.  Some may not be as eager as he thinks to hear his subjective personal views on a topic completely unrelated to stocks but I still don't think it would be right for everyone to ignore the poor guy.

After all, the value of an investment board is in part related to the diversity of opinion no matter how foolish at times.  I personally believe rranjan can redeem himself...no doubt in my mind.

Suppose you were following a thread where a poster was on Ignore.

So now you are only getting a portion of the conversation.

Therefore you may make redundant or out of context posts.

Perhaps that might cause someone to put you on Ignore because of your posts.

I think the feature might be counterproductive to discussions as a whole and if someone is truly making a nuisance of themselves, our moderator has the power to caution them, delete posts and threads, or ban them from the board. All of which have been done at one time or another.

I might not agree with some here on some subjects, but that does not mean that we might not concur on others. As Munger says... “After all, the value of an investment board is in part related to the diversity of opinion no matter how foolish at times.”

I have too much respect for members of this board to put anyone on Ignore.

Suppose you were following a thread where a poster was on Ignore.

So now you are only getting a portion of the conversation.

Therefore you may make redundant or out of context posts.

You have a good point here but in certain cases you can be almost sure of content of post without even reading it. Some one might make an statement "Apple starts with A and thats why you should not like orages" and then keep reapeating it no matter how illogical statement might sound.

Though I agree that it's rare to find such characters here so you won't have too much of a use for the ignore feature.

That feature is there for those that want to use it.  Personally, I would not use it (even not as admin), simply because I get a kick out of rolling in the mud with Munger and Harry, as they periodically decide to participate when events are briefly in their favor. 

Call me a masochist, but I enjoy it and love to hear them bat around my ideas or ideologies.  It gives my beliefs and analysis more credence...especially when I'm regularly proven right against them!  ;D  Cheers!

That feature is there for those that want to use it.  Personally, I would not use it (even not as admin), simply because I get a kick out of rolling in the mud with Munger and Harry, as they periodically decide to participate when events are briefly in their favor. 

Call me a masochist, but I enjoy it and love to hear them bat around my ideas or ideologies.  It gives my beliefs and analysis more credence...especially when I'm regularly proven right against them!  ;D  Cheers!

I can understand enjoying someone bashing your ideas or idealogies and thats the biggest advantage anyone can have in any forum. Problem comes when predictable but lame logic gets recycled time after time. I think after some time it loses any purpose and you can't really gain anything by continuing some discussions. I do admit that you might gain some in start though.

Huh, How come we did not see you posting in Bank capital thread?  :)  I had actually forgot about that before engaging in certain discussion otherwise I would not have dared.

Also in my honest opinion, you can't really put Harry in this bracket. I do admit that he brags sometime when events are in his favor. Some time he might come off as knowing everything and lecturing others but I have not heard him repeating illogical stuff time after time. Just my opinion. 

Name calling or throwing abuse is bit different than repeating illogical stuff time after time and then keep shifting the goal post when you get called on it. And when you combine all of this then it might get interesting for a short while but you can't enjoy it for long. I might not like all aspect of Harry's posting but he does bring lots of rational view points.

Anyway, let me not stop you from enjoying whenever you can :P