Which Browser is everyone using?

Smazz

Well, I'm full on Chrome now. 

I've got ad blocker plus on, like I had with firefox, but have noticed that Chrome bypasses splash pages.  That's awesome.

I used to have to click "Go directly to Morningstar" since they use a splash page for ads (of course with ad block all I had was a blank page).  Now it goes right to the home page for MS. 

I switched to Chrome because I was having a problem with FF hanging on me and not responding for about 30 seconds.  Even after disabling all the extension and addons, it still happened. 

I uninstalled FF, downloaded and re-installed FF version 6.  I have to say it's pretty fast.  I didn't realize the UI was a bit different with a new, clean install.  When I updated to version 6, it was identical to V5, but the new install is different.  Might be different enough for me to use FF full time again. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok Chrome Gurus, I have a few more Questions I hope you can help me with:

1. The Bookmarks bar (under the web address) I really love that however I used to have the bookmarks all along there with the last bookmark on the right just before the ">>" was the link to my local newspaper.

Somehow in my fabulous genius i replaced that link with  the folder "other bookmarks" but in this last bookmark i previously had was before (to the left of) the ">>"

I cant for the life of me figure out how to get this back the way it was. The first Favorite on that bookmark page is a favorite folder then I have 7 links then the ">>" then to the right of that I have a "other bookmarks" folder.

Im guessing there is a max of how many bookmarks you can have on this bar running under the web address before the  ">>" (favorites list)?

I hope my question is somewhat clear and if anyone can help me to add another fav or just get rid of the "other bookmarks" to the right of the ">>"?

Ok, the 2nd (what you thought i was finished? :P) question is - what are you guys running, if anything, for a Virus protection. I am not running anything - with IE I was running AVG but it really seemed to slow my comp even more.

Any info is appreciated..

thanks

ok Chrome Gurus, I have a few more Questions I hope you can help me with:

1. The Bookmarks bar (under the web address) I really love that however I used to have the bookmarks all along there with the last bookmark on the right just before the ">>" was the link to my local newspaper.

Somehow in my fabulous genius i replaced that link with  the folder "other bookmarks" but in this last bookmark i previously had was before (to the left of) the ">>"

I cant for the life of me figure out how to get this back the way it was. The first Favorite on that bookmark page is a favorite folder then I have 7 links then the ">>" then to the right of that I have a "other bookmarks" folder.

Im guessing there is a max of how many bookmarks you can have on this bar running under the web address before the  ">>" (favorites list)?

I hope my question is somewhat clear and if anyone can help me to add another fav or just get rid of the "other bookmarks" to the right of the ">>"?

Ok, the 2nd (what you thought i was finished? :P) question is - what are you guys running, if anything, for a Virus protection. I am not running anything - with IE I was running AVG but it really seemed to slow my comp even more.

Any info is appreciated..

thanks

Certainly no GURU here, but I will see if I can help you out.  I don't know that one can move (or hide) the 'other bookmarks' folder that is to the right of >> (it might be possible but I don't know how to do it - at least with the version I am using).  For the links and folders to the left of >> .... you are only limited by your screen width.  When you hit your max screen width -- links and folders get shoved into the >>.  On my lap top more of this gets shoved down than when I connect (through HDMI) to my monitor.  A trick you can use to fit more links/folders under the address bar is to shorten up the description ... by right clicking on the link or folder.  For example, my Weather folder is labelled 'W', my Read Later folder is labelled 'RL' (although I am using Instapaper more now for this purpose.... since it syncs so well with my cheap little android smart phone).     

To add another favorite, just drag the link you want from the icon at the very left of the address bar down to the link bar ... careful where you put it but you can always drag it around after too.  If you cannot see it -- make sure it isn't hiding in the >> due to the link real estate being full (maybe this is where your news link might have disappeared also?).  Alternatively if you want a folder in the link section -- just right click and add folder.  One other really great thing is you can add a folder inside a folder!

As for antivirus protection -- I am using the free version of Avast.  It's good for a year and thus far I just renew it every year for free.  Certainly no Fort Knox -- but I like it and it works adequately - and does not slow the processor down.  Best place to get it is from a reputable download site such as Download.com (it will be the one with a 4.5/5 user rating with 150 million+ downloads!).

Holy Crap!

I just did those changes and yes, i am getting so much more room now my other favorites are fitting in. Especially with the fact of most if not all have ICONS so I really dont need much if any text.

Dang I feel guilty pleasure about having so many up there now..lol...

To quote my 8 yr old Nephew,

"SICK"

thanks UCP :)

I'm running a Mac, so that takes care of that :)

Guest misterstockwell

I'm running a Mac, so that takes care of that :)

Good luck with that

P.S.  Don't forget viruses now attack Mac's

They've existed for a long time, and made a bit more headlines recently so people are getting more excited, but if you use common sense (don't run software if you don't know where it's from, backup your data in at least 2 places, etc), have a secure browser (like Chrome), and install patches, you're chances of getting a Mac virus are so low that the assured inconveniences that come from an anti-virus are MASSIVELY bigger than any inconvenience you could get from a virus. Not worth it (maybe some day it will, but the UNIX foundations of OS X make it pretty secure by default).

have a secure browser (like Chrome),

Honest question here - what makes one browser more secure than another.

Obviously i am now running chrome as my default but am interested to know.... I hope I havent already asked that question haha..

Honest question here - what makes one browser more secure than another.

Obviously i am now running chrome as my default but am interested to know.... I hope I havent already asked that question haha..

The short answer is: The same thing that makes any piece of software more or less secure. Was it designed with security in mind, or is it old legacy spaghetti code that has been patched over time? How fast vulnerability are patched (and automatic patches are more secured than counting on all your users to do it themselves).. Are third-part plug-ins sequestered? Is each tab sandboxed? Is the code open-source or closed (often having more eyes on the code can help find problems)? Does the software maker pay external consultants (former black hat hackers, etc) and sponsor prizes/reward bug submissions to test its defenses? Etc.

That kind of stuff. Don't ask me for the long answer, please..

I have recently switched Chrome on my Mac and it is in general way faster than my previous browser firefox. However, I have noticed that some sites seem to load more slowly in Chrome. www.businessinsider.com is one site that loads very slowly. Have others seen this problem with some web sites?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who see's slower load times from some websites. 

Updated browser speed test at Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/web-browser-performance-standard-html5,3013.html#t70059

For Win7, they crown Chrome 13 the winner, but the summary placing tables show how close the competition really is.  Chrome, Firefox, and IE all place pretty well, and I'd guess from a performance perspective, they're all about the same. 

I have recently switched Chrome on my Mac and it is in general way faster than my previous browser firefox. However, I have noticed that some sites seem to load more slowly in Chrome. www.businessinsider.com is one site that loads very slowly. Have others seen this problem with some web sites?

I found my problem.  If you have "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" checked it can slow down your browser.  I unchecked mine and have noticed a big improvement in speed.

I found my problem.  If you have "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" checked it can slow down your browser.  I unchecked mine and have noticed a big improvement in speed.

holy crap, from the description its supposed to be faster no?

BTW, I dont see where that option is on Chrome...

augustabound,

I tried your setting, but it did nothing for me interms of speed with www.businessinsider.com. By the way, schwab.com is also very slow with Chrome.

Hm.  I was just frustrated with the slow speed in Chrome and I googled something like, "why is Chrome slow?"  One of the hits was the Chrome forum where the suggestion was to disable that command.  It worked for me. 

I didn't really find any suggestions that were helpful, this just happened to help me.

A common problem in Firefox is an addon or extension slowing down the browser.  Maybe try the same with Chrome, disable all addons or extension and bring them back on one at a time to see if one of them is the problem.

I know for me with Firefox, I had to uninstall it then download the newest version rather than just updating the current one.  A new, clean install worked wonders over an update.  The speed was huge in comparison.  Just remember to backup your bookmarks if you do it with either Firefox or Chrome.

Thanks Sreenr

BTW, do you know how to add on a one touch history button on toolbar somewhere? without having to go into the wrench each time?

TIA

Right click on the back arrow on the top left.  The last option is history.

Which wouldn't be any faster. Still two clicks.  :D

For a "one touch history button" you can go to history (chrome://history/) and then add the page to your 'bookmarks bar'.  :)

Thanks Sreenr

BTW, do you know how to add on a one touch history button on toolbar somewhere? without having to go into the wrench each time?

TIA

Right click on the back arrow on the top left.  The last option is history.

Which wouldn't be any faster. Still two clicks.  :D

For a "one touch history button" you can go to history (chrome://history/) and then add the page to your 'bookmarks bar'.  :)

Still 2 clicks, one for the bookmark menu and another for history.  ;)