Which Browser is everyone using?

Smazz

Ok, I dont know how but i am now able to auto log in to the site thanks to those who tried to help me.

When i asked the same question to people outside this forum I was chastised because i was still using IE7 haha...  Problem is i switched to IE8 but my banks site wouldnt recognise/work with IE8. It wouldnt remember my username, i would have to continually answer all the security questions again etc etc.

With the smart techys on this board maybe you can steer this non techy the right way ;)

So, seeing as banking/trading is prob the most critical issue for people here also, which browsers are you usiing?  If anyone else banks RBC direct would appreciate hearing from you also.

Does anyone use 2 or more browsers?

what would be the benefits to browser A vs B vs C? ( IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc)

Thanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys,

I mainly use Chrome. Safari sometimes as well. Not sure why anyone would use IE other than being forced to use it at work.

lol, thats what everyone was saying to me.

So, do I just download one or the other and go? Do I keep IE 7 installed but not used?  Do I have to reset anything else so IE7/8 doesnt run?  Sorry for the elementary questions.

Thanks guys,

I mainly use Chrome. Safari sometimes as well. Not sure why anyone would use IE other than being forced to use it at work.

lol, thats what everyone was saying to me.

So, do I just download one or the other and go? Do I keep IE 7 installed but not used?  Do I have to reset anything else so IE7/8 doesnt run?  Sorry for the elementary questions.

Download anything and set it as your default browser. You don't need to to uninstall IE. IE7/8 are not going to run unless you open the browser so you can keep it but don't have to use it.

I use everything :-)  Mac Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and on windows IE 8/9, Chrome, Firefox.  IE9 is ok, definitely better than the other IEs.  I haven't had trouble with any of my broker sites really, and if I do I just open up another browser.  The only one I've had mixed experiences with is Opera on Mac (haven't tried it much on windows).  

Thanks all,

Ive chosen Chrome, basically the easiest as it was one of the sites ads up top ;D

So, what comes up now is basically just the google search window--- does anyone know how or if i can transport my "favorites" to the Chrome browser?

I had to go back into IE to get this sites address as i dont know it by heart lol

thanks again

Edit: no need- i found it - thanks

Guest misterstockwell

I use IE9 and it works perfectly. I never have to ask anyone what browser should I download to get such-and-such to work---everything works. I generally have 20 or so tabs open at all times, and I have no problems. Chrome had big brother google looking over my shoulder and reporting back everything I did--no thanks. Firefox has just enough glitches to piss me off. Apple products out of the question. IE9 FTW!

Problem is i switched to IE8 but my banks site wouldnt recognise/work with IE8. It wouldnt remember my username, i would have to continually answer all the security questions again etc etc.

I'm with TD and the site won't let me remember my user name.  If I try to click on the "remember me" box, it fails to log me in.  It's a security feature I'm told.

Firefox 5 is my main with Chrome as my other browser.  The only reason I haven't completely moved to Chrome is they don't have a drop down address bar for my 10 most visited sites like Firefox has.  Their developers have said users don't find that function important in spite of the outcry from die hard Chrome users in the Google forums.

As for IE, always keep it installed.  There are still some Microsoft/Windows downloads that need IE.

The only reason I haven't completely moved to Chrome is they don't have a drop down address bar for my 10 most visited sites like Firefox has.  Their developers have said users don't find that function important in spite of the outcry from die hard Chrome users in the Google forums.

At first i was  having troubles with the Favourites bar but i went to the "wrench" thing on the top right and i was some how able to have my favourites kind of scrolled along the top of the menu (in addition to where the favourites reside). I also notice when you click on the "+" beside the tab at the top, a new tab opens up with a number of the most recently visited sites. I find this satisfactory compared to how I felt about an hour ago.

Its different but its faster...

...and can anyone tell me where (hopefully there is one) is the function to send/email someone the link I am viewing, while in Chrome?

In IE you just go to File i think, select "send link" and my email address book would open up.

Thanks

edit: I just did some searching and found that there is no such function in Chrome. Why would they do (or not do) that?

Currently I'm using Chrome, it's seems to be the fastest option and integrates well with other Google services.

If you want to see fast, go in preferences and enable the checkbox that says "Enable Instant for faster searching and browsing". It takes a few minutes to get used to it, but it's pretty neat and makes it hard to go back to other browsers once you get used to it.

Currently I'm using Chrome, it's seems to be the fastest option and integrates well with other Google services.

If you want to see fast, go in preferences and enable the checkbox that says "Enable Instant for faster searching and browsing". It takes a few minutes to get used to it, but it's pretty neat and makes it hard to go back to other browsers once you get used to it.

oo. will give it a try.

"The Instant feature can help you search and browse faster on the web by showing search results and webpages in the browser window as you type in the address bar, even before you press Enter. If you don't see the results you want, just keep typing and the results dynamically update."

oo. will give it a try.

"The Instant feature can help you search and browse faster on the web by showing search results and webpages in the browser window as you type in the address bar, even before you press Enter. If you don't see the results you want, just keep typing and the results dynamically update."

It also works on Google.com

When you do a search, it preloads the results that it predicts you have the most chances of clicking on, so that when you click, it loads up instantly.

...and can anyone tell me where (hopefully there is one) is the function to send/email someone the link I am viewing, while in Chrome?

In IE you just go to File i think, select "send link" and my email address book would open up.

Thanks

edit: I just did some searching and found that there is no such function in Chrome. Why would they do (or not do) that?

Go to the Chrome Extensions site. There are tons of great extensions you can add to chrome to customize it and add features.

As far as a Favorites pulldown, Chrome let's you add folders to the bookmarks bar, so youn can always create a new folder and the pn drag sites into it.

Also, the start page shows your most frequently visited sites.

I've actually never used IE.  I've used NCSA Mosaic, then I switched to Netscape Navigator until Netscape version 6, then to Mozilla, then finally to Firefox which I still use.

I've experimented with Chrome a few times, but I always go back to Firefox.  I'm using 5.0 right now. I just upgrade to the latest version whenever it is available.

I've never liked Microsoft products and try to avoid them whenever I can.  I've been running Linux at home for about 10 years now. And at work they give me two computers a Linux workstation and a Windows 7 laptop.  I'd love to install Linux on the laptop, but I'm not supposed to, so I don't.  I do have to admit Windows 7 isn't half bad though, it is the first Windows version that I actually don't mind using.  I still have never tried any version of IE and don't plan on starting now.

--Eric