What Would You Folks Like To See?

Parsad

Ok, since you all propagated the "tip jar" idea, tell me some of the things you would like to see added to the board.  Throw out the ideas, as wild and crazy as they may seem.  We won't be able to implement all of them, and the more costly ideas may take some time, but we can at least start upgrading and making the board even more user friendly.

A couple of the changes I plan to do are below:

- Redesigned home page with a proper complete link back and forth between the message board and homepage

- Homepage would have different member service/discount links, as well as member events, current news, updates, etc.

- Mobile app to make the board easier to read especially on smartphones

Initially, we are just migrating the board over, and then Paul will slowly develop things we want on a prototype site before going live.  But let me know what you would like, and over time we'll make some of those things happen. 

The one thing I don't want the board to ever change is the community concept and feeling it has.  You would never get the type of cult following and support we have...not just on any site...and that's because of all of the members who are here.  I'm humbled to just be a part of this, and I consider you all lifetime members of this weird fraternity we've developed!  Cheers and thanks!

Actually, I'll get this going because I've come up with one that may intrigue all of you.  An incubator program/page, that existing members of the board could join separately.  We've got nearly a thousand members, so say 250 want to participate.  We set up a page not unlike those micro-finance sites and have young, entrepreneurial investors pitch ideas to the group, and we vote on a handful to seed. 

The members pay say $500 a year or some number, and that raises an intial amount of $125,000 that could be distributed.  More of a psychological experiment for all of us, as well as one that may pay some dividends.  Anyway, it's just a weird wacky idea that I'm sure some of you could expand on.  Like I said, throw them out there!  Cheers!

Is there any other yealry event that a good number of members attend outside the FFH or BRK annual meeting?  It would be nice if there was a mid-year type of event we could also meet at.

Packer

I second this -- FFH and BRK are always April/May so it'd be nice to have a Oct/Nov event.

Actually, I'll get this going because I've come up with one that may intrigue all of you.  An incubator program/page, that existing members of the board could join separately.  We've got nearly a thousand members, so say 250 want to participate.  We set up a page not unlike those micro-finance sites and have young, entrepreneurial investors pitch ideas to the group, and we vote on a handful to seed.  

The members pay say $500 a year or some number, and that raises an intial amount of $125,000 that could be distributed.  More of a psychological experiment for all of us, as well as one that may pay some dividends.  Anyway, it's just a weird wacky idea that I'm sure some of you could expand on.  Like I said, throw them out there!  Cheers!

Sort of like the community's version of Dragon's Den! I don't have a clue of how this would work in practice, but I think it's a good idea.  It would also be nice to have a charity/non-profit component to it. If a target return is hit, then a certain portion gets donated. A self-sustaining charity fund.

Small point. How about a button at the bottom of each page to return to the top of the page?

What I'd like to see is a preference setting somewhere that allows you to change how many topics threads you see per page, and how many comments you see per page once you are into a thread.

It would be particularly useful on the investment sub-forum so you don't have to drill down 5 pages to find something.

Small point. How about a button at the bottom of each page to return to the top of the page?

cwericb,

You may find the Home key on your keyboard useful. Pressing it will immediately take you to the top of webpage.  (unless you are in an text edit box (composing a message or something), in which case it moves the cursor to the beginning of the current line of writing.

You may find the Home key on your keyboard useful. Pressing it will immediately take you to the top of webpage.  (unless you are in an text edit box (composing a message or something), in which case it moves the cursor to the beginning of the current line of writing.

Shift-Spacebar also can also help you navigate around. Spacebar in a browser is the equivalent of page-down, and shift-spacebar is page-up.

Is there any other yealry event that a good number of members attend outside the FFH or BRK annual meeting?  It would be nice if there was a mid-year type of event we could also meet at.

Packer

I second this -- FFH and BRK are always April/May so it'd be nice to have a Oct/Nov event.

Yes, the updated homepage will have a place where members can set up a specific meet for a specific city, and allow you to coordinate everything.  I have to figure out how I want it to work, but basically it will just make the process easier for those already doing this in some cities.  Cheers!

Dont do it Sanj. Functionality creep is dangerous to stability of site.

I have a strong techy background. Investorvillage is a site used by many here and is a classic example of what can go wrong. The site has gone from bad to terrible as the owner started adding functionality and now they are in the midst of rewriting code and the site performance is exceptionally bad.

Stability and Performance are paramount. ADD ONLY SMALL FUNCTIONALITY THAT IS UNLIKELY TO SCREW UP STABILITY OR PERFORMACE.

I have a strong techy background. Investorvillage is a site used by many here and is a classic example of what can go wrong. The site has gone from bad to terrible as the owner started adding functionality and now they are in the midst of rewriting code and the site performance is exceptionally bad.

Stability and Performance are paramount. ADD ONLY SMALL FUNCTIONALITY THAT IS UNLIKELY TO SCREW UP STABILITY OR PERFORMACE.

Agree to some extent. Keeping it simple and effective is best way to go. Adding some fundtions will be a good idea but it should provide biggest bang for buck in terms of utility else it better to not add many things just because we want to add.

As long as the other functions are separate from the forums and optional to members here, they shouldn't clutter things too much or overload servers. But if everything and the kitchen sink is thrown at a single page, it could get bad.

Agree to some extent. Keeping it simple and effective is best way to go. Adding some fundtions will be a good idea but it should provide biggest bang for buck in terms of utility else it better to not add many things just because we want to add.

"Where's the home key on my iPad?  LOL. Apple is causing me finagle-flicking carpel-tunnel-digit syndrom"

Haha, that's why I thought a Top of Page button might be helpful since there are so many variables with so many different divices. Hope you recover soon....

Where's the home key on my iPad?  LOL. Apple is causing me finagle-flicking carpel-tunnel-digit syndrom

You realize you can just tap the top of the browser window in Safari (and most other iPad browsers) to automatically go to the top of any page, right?

No DCG I didn't - tried it and it works great thanks for the tip

Probably a number of other shortcuts I haven't found.

My finger-flicking will be significantly reduced. You probably saved apple from a nasty lawsuit.  LOL

Ha..glad I could help.