"25 Years of Fairfax" Auction

Parsad

Hi Folks,

After the Fairfax dinner this year, we had no one claim the autographed books by Prem.  Rather than have them just sit around till next year's dinner, I thought I would auction one of them off on the board and we'll auction the other one at next year's dinner. 

The proceeds from the book at next year's dinner will obviously go to "The Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of Canada" in memory of Prem's executive assistant, and my friend, JoAnn Butler.

The proceeds from the one I'm auctioning off now will go to the Dakshana Foundation which was started by Mohnish Pabrai and his wife Harina.  Prem is on the Advisory Board for Dakshana, and the Watsa Family has made a $5M pledge donating $1M a year for the next five years.  You can read about Dakshana, including Prem's pledge, here:  http://www.dakshana.org/AR10.pdf

I had no idea that Prem had made such a pledge.  I came up with the idea for the auction last week, and got in touch with his executive assistant Pat Hios.  Prem was delighted with the idea, and I emailed Mohnish this morning to confirm it was ok to do so.  He then sent me the link and said I may be interested in reading page 3 of Dakshana's annual report.  Lo' and behold, there was the donation by Prem!  Corner Market Capital will also donate $500 to Dakshana for 2011. 

The auction begins at $200 U.S. for the autographed copy of "25 Years of Fairfax".  For any die-hard shareholder of Fairfax, or any interested value investor, it is a must for your bookshelf.  I don't believe there will be any more of these published, and getting a signed copy is even harder, so here is your chance.  If you want to bid, please email me at cornermarketcapital@gmail.com.  I will post each high bid as I receive them, but with no names or personal information.  The winning bidder will be directed to send the proceeds to Dakshana, so that they can send you a tax receipt, and I will courier the book to you no charge.  Cheers!

Hi Folks,

Don't bid yet.  Actually, Mohnish got in touch with me and we both thought it was a better idea to put it on Ebay.  That way people can see the bids easier.  He's going to be doing a lunch auction on Ebay as well. 

So hold on to the bids until we get it up on Ebay.  Thanks!  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, because it's been so crazy, both with the markets and the website going down, I didn't have time to courier the book to Mohnish's office.  I will send it out tomorrow morning, and hopefully we should have it on eBay in the next week or so.  Cheers!