First Half Proves "Humbling" For Paulson, Einhorn & Ackman

Parsad

All three are average investors.

I don't like Einhorn, and I'm not particularly fond of Ackman, but the last thing I would describe all three as is as "average investors."  They are anything but and their records show that.  Cheers!

I don't like Einhorn, and I'm not particularly fond of Ackman, but the last thing I would describe all three as is as "average investors."  They are anything but and their records show that.  Cheers!

Why no love for Einhorn or Ackman? I love those guys.

I don't like Einhorn, and I'm not particularly fond of Ackman, but the last thing I would describe all three as is as "average investors."  They are anything but and their records show that.  Cheers!

Activist investing makes you say and do things that are not .... how to say this ... Buffett/Munger style. And I understand the situations these guys are in. Successful activism depends a lot on public perception and shorting too.

For example, I personally have learned a lot from Ackman (reading his deposition on MBIA was really fun) but I know something about retail/financial services/real estate and many of the things he was saying and proposing for Target were ... debatable. And I like more Ackman than Einhorn on this regard..

Do not push Parsad to say more on this, he has nothing to gain and there is always the possibility that he has something to lose.

Smart guys, good investors, but they associate with some unsavory friends and their conduct is sometimes a bit unethical. 

Do not push Parsad to say more on this, he has nothing to gain and there is always the possibility that he has something to lose.

Nope.  I never hold back.  My views on both have been the same since day one. 

If I had to pick the lesser of two evils, then it would be Ackman.  Neither should be called "average investors" though, as both have excellent results.  Cheers!

Smart guys, good investors, but they associate with some unsavory friends and their conduct is sometimes a bit unethical. 

If I had to pick the lesser of two evils, then it would be Ackman.  Neither should be called "average investors" though, as both have excellent results.  Cheers!

I think there is a snow balls chance in heck that Mr Einhorn will ever have the adjective humble attached to his name I find at least the public personna of Ackman and Paulson a little closer that description.

You think Einhorn is less humble than Ackman?  I remember reading an article about Ackman and one of his kids even said "he doesn't suffer from low self-esteem"! 

But then again, to be an activist I think one has to be VERY confident.

You think Einhorn is less humble than Ackman?  I remember reading an article about Ackman and one of his kids even said "he doesn't suffer from low self-esteem"! 

But then again, to be an activist I think one has to be VERY confident.

Ya I read the same article I think being wildly successful as all of these individuals are makes for a pretty hightened sense of self esteem.

Good to know that there are still people of principle.

Broadly speaking there are none but corn-pone opinions. And . . . Corn-Pone stands for Self-Approval . . . from the approval of other people. The result is Conformity. Sometimes Conformity has a sordid business interest - a bread-and-butter interest - but not in most cases, I think. I think in the majority of cases it is unconscious and not calculated . . . Mark Twain