Leveraged Muni Funds

Packer16

Has anyon elooked at these types of funds?  The PIMCO ones have purchased munis and levered them woith short-term LIBOR based funding.  The current tax-free yields range from 6.7% to 7.9%.  Pretty good in this environment.  I haven't purchased any but was just wondering about folks experience with them.  TIA

Packer

Packer

Pls see my comments at

http://cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/index.php?topic=4713" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" 48208;topicseen#msg48208

The yields were higher when I bought...the biggest potential problem I see (other than a replay of 2008-2009 is the reduction of the CEF premium, which is substantial, but I believe justified because of the yield. The yield on net value is huge. Premium erosion is a risk, but I am not sure what would trigger its decline. 

The current after tax equilivant yield is very good.

• 2 years later...

I opened a small position in PCQ when it traded at a slight discount to NAV.

7% market yield and since I am in Cali, the tax-free yield is even more juicy.

No special insight. I just think some muni investors overreacted and it is rare for these PIMCO closed-end funds to trade at discount so I had to nibble a bit.

I am thinking about buying some for my father in law, who is from Taiwan and a non-resident alien.

I am wondering whether anyone on this board is in similar situation. Do anyone know how the dividend is taxed.  Will the dividend be tax-exempt or taxed at 30%?

I bought Cali munis in general (CMF) and MCA for my levered position. They offered ~ 3% and 7% yields at the time.

I already had several positions in my portfolio that would do well if interest rates rise. This seemed like a good opportunity to add to the other side of that bet.

I am thinking about buying some for my father in law, who is from Taiwan and a non-resident alien.

I am wondering whether anyone on this board is in similar situation. Do anyone know how the dividend is taxed.  Will the dividend be tax-exempt or taxed at 30%?

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc851.html

check out the above to see if he can qualify as "resident" under the IRS test.

sorry, can't help much...but

good luck.

Anyone have any picks for bond funds in general?  I hear Doubleline a lot.  And I know Third Avenue and Fairholme have distressed funds.

I want to do the homework now so when there is another opportunity in the bond markets I can have a play set up.  The opportunities in distress and PL RMBS were amazing from 2009 to 2011.  I want to make sure I can take advantage of it next time.