Likelihood of recession in the next six months

shalab
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• 1 month later...

Time for a bump.

Suddenly you see multiple topics popping up about the economic malaise. Also before, there were some topics about people questioning the us dollar, others looking to hedge against a us default, etc. Sentiment seems to change but I don't know exactly what has changed in the last week and month?

Are others changing their view as well?  ???

I thought a lot of people on this board held FFH shares? Anyone realize they are prepped for a major economic contraction throughout the western world? Long long dated treasuries, 85% hedged equity book, $50 billion notional exposure in protection against deflation which cost them half a billion dollars? What do people on this board see that suggests we are not going to have a recession?

I think the economy contracted during the month of July in the USA, some of it was  consumers sitting on their wallets during the protracted debt ceiling debate a recession is 2 quarters of consecutive negative GDP, a banking crises in Europe will pretty much tip us over into negative territory as far as the US economy is concerned. I think a European banking crises is at least a 50 50 proposition therefor a recession certainly is not a faint chance it is smelling more and more like 1937. While I make those bearish statements I removed 2/3 of my hedges in the last 24 hours cuz it appears that the mkt is the very short term oversold and a lot of people have jumped into the bear camp in the last week.