A lesson in never trusting PR

ValueSlant

Guest Hester

An interesting lesson in the past few days with the yellow pages company DEXO and their "big" partnership with Google that is something that literally hundreds of small marketing companies also have. With corporate PR motto should be Don't Trust, Only Verify

More on it here:

http://valueslant.com/2011/06/21/dexo-dont-trust-hype/

Very good article on the matter.

DEXO is surely a long term zero. The business model makes newspapers look like it's on the cutting edge of technology. I still get a yellow pages occasionally delivered to me. What a waste of trees/paper.

Hopefully DEXO and Supermedia will emerge from chapter 11 2.0 with enough debt that makes the equity a good short again.

Back in the day when I was interested in smaller tech stocks, I would get frequent laughs from companies announcing "partnerships" with IBM, MSFT, etc. when all they had done was sign up to participate in some kind of developer network. You would also see small companies list some giant company as a client when the client was really some regional office that had purchased one or two licenses of the small company's product. Always take these kinds of announcements with a big grain of salt.

An interesting lesson in the past few days with the yellow pages company DEXO and their "big" partnership with Google that is something that literally hundreds of small marketing companies also have. With corporate PR motto should be Don't Trust, Only Verify

More on it here:

http://valueslant.com/2011/06/21/dexo-dont-trust-hype/

Very good article on the matter.

DEXO is surely a long term zero. The business model makes newspapers look like it's on the cutting edge of technology. I still get a yellow pages occasionally delivered to me. What a waste of trees/paper.

Hopefully DEXO and Supermedia will emerge from chapter 11 2.0 with enough debt that makes the equity a good short again.

Agree on all fronts.  This has been a perennial value trap.