I've switched to bing?

Guest davidwoo

Guest davidwoo

I recently switched to bing as my search engine on all my devices. Other than maps, I find bing to be more relevant.

DW

I'm not sure about the microsoft making things better comment, but Bing has passed Google in search relevance in my opinion

I think making better meant: integration and milking.

Dos, Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook, IE, SQLServer, XBbox, Sharepoint and many many other products are examples of that.

One last note:  Why Balmer should go.

Over the past 5 years Balmer has had a habit of introducing a product and then trying to sell it to you by mentioning how much his kid loves it.  First, that's lame, but more important, what evidence is there that his kid has a good track record of predicting hot selling products.  When a CEO does this, especially in consumer tech, it means he is clueless.

Frankly I would stay away from that kind of thinking (even though he may be replaced tomorrow which I doubt). I know everybody says Balmer is a dumb ass, Einhorn included and by the way I heard the same about Bill Gates from lots people in the past too. I have heard Balmer talk on other occasions and it was obvious he was thinking long term in many areas of his business. For now MSFT earnings have tripled in 10 years and the strongest pipeline ever is coming to market. Lots of investments and moves will get much clearer within the next 2 to 3 years at Microsoft. Convergence possibilities are very impressive if you really thing about it.

XBOX is probably right, though that's partly because SONY has been going downhill for a long time and there's no competitor of the caliber of GOOG of AAPL in that field.

But to me Bing is a distant second and my experience has been that the quality of results is poorer than with Google (not to mention that it's slower and has fewer features). I also think it looks bad that they've been caught copying results from Google (despite denying it):

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/microsofts-bing-uses-google-search.html

Guest misterstockwell

bing sucks big time

I've tried putting the same search word in both bing and google and got better results in google

I prefer Bing as well. Google is getting to be more and more a conduit for spoofers to sell you products. You can get pages of fake websites that funnel you to Amazon or elsewhere. It's a waste of time.

Guest misterstockwell

XBOX is probably right, though that's partly because SONY has been going downhill for a long time and there's no competitor of the caliber of GOOG of AAPL in that field.

Hahahaha. Yes, there is nothing good about Xbox/Kinect. It is only winning by default since AAPL isn't in the game. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's a perfect example of the bias out there.

Hahahaha. Yes, there is nothing good about Xbox/Kinect. It is only winning by default since AAPL isn't in the game. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's a perfect example of the bias out there.

That's not what I said. XBOX is quite good, but SONY also dropped the ball somewhat in the same period, so the comparison between XBOX and Playstation isn't the same as Google Search and Bing, because Google isn't going the way of Sony right now. When your competitors shoot themselves in the foot, that has to be taken into account in the calculations...

That's not what I said. XBOX is quite good, but SONY also dropped the ball somewhat in the same period, so the comparison between XBOX and Playstation isn't the same as Google Search and Bing, because Google isn't going the way of Sony right now. When your competitors shoot themselves in the foot, that has to be taken into account in the calculations...

20/20 hindsight and all, not many people were calling out Sony for "dropping the ball" or "shooting themselves in the foot" until the first details of the personal information leak surfaced a month or two ago... And XBox's market share gain had started years prior. By the time the hacking scandal occurred, XBox 360 already outsold PS3 in the US by almost 50%.

As for the Q on a Microsoft's buy-and-build success over the last 10 years... Microsoft Dynamics. Or you can just take a glance over the Short Salesforce thread Sanjeev started a few weeks ago.

:o  AAPL is, at very best, ok for casual gamers (a growing and big market to be sure).  Been that way for, well, probably a couple of decades.  I don't see it changing much soon. 

I find the AAPL worship thing a little odd.  It wasn't that long ago that the stock was trading at cash and they could do nothing right.  (I made good money on it too. :) )  Speaking of which, why the frack does AAPL need $30B of cash?  It's dividend time ... 

To the point of the thread, I use both bing & google.  Google more often tho.  Bing has improved, from a low level, and google seems to have declined a bit.  I do notice that google is trying really hard to drum up business.  It seems that I get a gazzilion offers to advertise via google in the mail/magazines/etc.  It's almost as bad as the old AOL days with their CDs.  Not a good sign. 

20/20 hindsight and all, not many people were calling out Sony for "dropping the ball" or "shooting themselves in the foot" until the first details of the personal information leak surfaced a month or two ago... And XBox's market share gain had started years prior. By the time the hacking scandal occurred, XBox 360 already outsold PS3 in the US by almost 50%.

People most certainly called Sony out for the PS3 launch.  Despite great technical specs, the game selection was awful and the price-point was way too high.  The Xbox360 and wii capitalized with better games and much more affordable systems.

XBox is where Microsoft intends to conquer the home entertainment business and more (Web TV is not being used by people who bought it). Beyond the Skype + Comcast deal, they are now talking of introducing interactive advertising in games and other programs running on XBox (and Microsoft doesn't know how to innovate)!

Kinect is the fastest selling device in history. People who own other consoles (PS3, Wii) are buying XBox. Young people learn about Microsoft through the XBox and they do not come with former generations' hatred for this company.

Kinect UI concepts are going to be made available in SDKs and subsequent versions of Windows OS. That along with the PC's natural design evolutions (tablet like, ultra thin, ultra powerful, access to all common devices, etc...) will make Windows machines super competitive especially with advanced COMM services on them.

Bing, Speech Recognition and other technologies of that type are aggregated horizontally to increase the offering.

ETC... Microsoft is competing hard these days and there will be more clarity when the current pipeline is deployed.

Guest valueInv

I switched to Bing a while back. I find it a bit better than Google. There are some areas where Google still has the

lead such as when searching for technical stuff.

XBox is where Microsoft intends to conquer the home entertainment business and more (Web TV is not being used by people who bought it). Beyond the Skype + Comcast deal, they are now talking of introducing interactive advertising in games and other programs running on XBox (and Microsoft doesn't know how to innovate)!

Kinect is the fastest selling device in history. People who own other consoles (PS3, Wii) are buying XBox. Young people learn about Microsoft through the XBox and they do not come with former generations' hatred for this company.

Kinect UI concepts are going to be made available in SDKs and subsequent versions of Windows OS. That along with the PC's natural design evolutions (tablet like, ultra thin, ultra powerful, access to all common devices, etc...) will make Windows machines super competitive especially with advanced COMM services on them.

Bing, Speech Recognition and other technologies of that type are aggregated horizontally to increase the offering.

ETC... Microsoft is competing hard these days and there will be more clarity when the current pipeline is deployed.

Hmm..  Here is a thought, this seems to be the only major area other than Windows where MSFT is winning the consumer arena.  It also seems to be the only place where they control the ecosystem from software to hardware no?  How tight are their marketplace standards, does anyone know?  Is it a closed system the way most consoles are?