Your YTD performance?

alertmeipp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still up in the low teens due to a concentration of insurance, media, and commodity stocks plus some fortuitous selling. I took a couple of retail hits, particularly with SPLS. In June, I made a big move into large cap financials, so if China weakens precipitously, or the Euro problem is bigger than it appears, this move will not look so good.

haha.. this should probably be the "who bought RIMM ?"thread.

as for YTD, I honestly dont know the exact figure at this moment but i was ahead before my small purchase of RIMM so im thinking still above par in aggreg.

I made some quick moves earlier in the year - i had/have a bad feeling about the economic situation for some time.

Learned from experiences, mine and others that just because the market is going up, doesnt mean you are right.

So I stay to what i think is right and in the long run it almost always works out.

This is my first year and I am down 3% because of the weakening USD (60% of portfolio and I'm European.) and my biggest holding (BRK, averaging in).

Funny thing is it feels like I am up for the year because of the deals I can find.

I was up around 4% before but now my portfolio represents a lot more value. I have confidence in the future.  :)

Guest VAL9000

I'm up..  but it's almost all due to SSW.  Apr, May, and Jun have been difficult months to sit and watch.

It's interesting to look at YTD vs last 12 months. I bet most are up for last 12 months and happy, vs nervous about YTD record. Question is will this be normal type dip which creates good opportunities, or will it be a real big dip like 2008 that really spooks but also creates huge opportunities? 2008 taught me not to put all my cash to work on normal dips because the trend can keep it going down a lot further.

Gone from +20% to about break even in last few months, partly due to thumb sucking on one stock, which I definitely should have sold. Hope I can draw some lessons for the future from that, at least. BRK, in spite of its fall, has been what has held my portfolio steady in the latest downturn due to the strong dollar as of late (denominated in SEK).

I, as much of the rest of the board, feel drawn towards some American large caps at the moment but hesitate due to tax reasons (extra dividend tax). My thinking was to play them with LEAPS because of that, but it seems very hard for me to get to buy them from my geographical base.

Up 20% to 30%.  ( Not precise, cause: "You never count your money while you're sitt'n at the table" ). Most of the gains are LRE and no-collateral, total return derrivatives on LRE that accentuate the movement of the price.  MTM gains on LRE are almost irrelevant because it's a long term hold, and the current 30%+ premium to book takes away one of management's options: repurchasing shares when the price is near BV.  

Other positions are up on average less than half the gains from LRE.  Went to a large cash position a couple months ago after closing out the speculation on Intel and Microsoft related to the unusual, major rebalancing of the QQQ's.  Why?  "Sell in May and go away" seemed prudent after the huge bull run, even though The Fed is still goosing the money supply.  Cash is OK now because the prospective ending of QE2 may be a drag on expectations.  A big pull back would be a great opportunity, but, sadly, that probably won't happen unless The Fed reverses course.  ( Unlikely, in my opinion. )  :)  

Up 5% after being up 15% at the beginning of the month and earlier this year.  I suppose SSW, SURW and SGA have kept me above break-even.  My 401(k) is going to include Fariholme starting next month, so I will get an opportunity to invest in financials.  I plan on investing cash in the large cap tech names we have been talking about MSFT, CSCO and DELL.

Packer.

Up 30%+ on realized seasonal sector rotations & unrealized gains. Unrealized gains are down by about 50% but we see it as being largely temporary. If something doubles in 3 vs 2 years its still a compound ROI of 26% 

SD

What is this in english?  Last I checked, there was only one way to compute ytd returns.  I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here. 

I'm up 25% but that's largely due to one position, CLUB, which is my largest and more than doubled. 

Whether it takes 2 yrs or 3 yrs to double your money, it is still an excellent rate of return (26% ROR).  SD isn't referring to a one year 26% ROR, he is talking about doubling your money.  In 24 or 36 months, either is great.  Don't worry too much on how long it takes. 4 or 5 years is very good too! (I think SD would agree?).  1 yr returns and YTD mean nothing is perhaps a second message he is sending?

Up 30%+ on realized seasonal sector rotations & unrealized gains. Unrealized gains are down by about 50% but we see it as being largely temporary. If something doubles in 3 vs 2 years its still a compound ROI of 26% 

SD

Lol

If you call the tail of a dog a leg. How many legs does a dog have?

BeerBaron

Weekly Portfolio Summary

May 22, 2011 — May 29, 2011

Portfolio's Performance

1w           1m            3m   1y             YTD

YOU               12.67% 28.26% 37.03% 64.18% 66.36%

DOW JONES     -0.56% -2.88%   3.18% 22.74%    7.46%

S&P 500        -0.16% -2.38%   1.90% 22.19%    5.84%

Believe it or not LVLT is the reason for the gain with a cost basis of under $2.00

Getting Rich From Fear

1.  EXPERIENCED INVESTORS USE FEAR TO THEIR ADVANTAGE.  Only in markets where people are scared can you buy stocks cheap.

2.  I own a private company.  If I wanted to buy out my biggest competitor, I would want to pay as little as I could.  Investing in stocks is the same thing.  Why would I be upset if I could buy them cheaper?  Shouldn't I be happy?

3.  You should enjoy declining markets.  Declining stock prices... nervous investors... predictions of impending doom.  It's during times like these that you have to keep your head.

4.  SCARED MARKETS ARE THE ONLY KIND OF MARKETS THAT CAN MAKE SAVVY INVESTORS VERY RICH.

5.  The creeping anxiety most investors feel in a bad market is like a human’s internal "flight or fight" signal.  But if you keep your emotions in check, it could make you a lot of money.  Most people don't know how to interpret the signal correctly.

http://tycoonreport.tycoonresearch.com/past_issues/476117311

Holy, do you manage $?