Board Courtesy and Conduct

Parsad

We've had a number of new members join the board in the last year, and I've noticed a signficant deterioration in board courtesy and conduct.  I would appreciate if board members conducted themselves in a manner that encourages intelligent dialogue and debate, without callous dismissal or ridicule of other members. 

No one is forcing any member to read all threads, posts or ideas.  If there is something that is not to your liking, please feel free to ignore...a retort is not required.  Those issues that interest you, please feel free to engage participants.  Thanks! 

Sanjeev

Guest VAL9000

I'm from the "Class of '11" referenced above, so I don't have the historical perspective, but I do have some thoughts on forum behaviour.  There were two things I wanted to add when I read this:

- There's a big difference between questioning an idea and questioning a person.  90% of what members post are their true beliefs and understanding.  When we tear into someone's idea, it's important to frame the response so that the focus is on the abstract idea and not the person presenting it.  I try to stay away from a poster's personal experience, situation, understanding, age, whatever.  If you can't offer a rebuttal that doesn't question someone's experience, for example, then you should think harder or throw in the towel.  The upside is that by working the idea instead of the person, you will avoid cat-fights and you also get to take ownership of the resulting conclusion.

- The other thing I wanted to say was that from time-to-time I come across cheap shots on this board.  That is, posts that are flagrant violations of the above note.  So far, they've never been directly aimed at me, but I have jumped in to let someone know that I think they're being a jerk (usually by being a jerk in return).  I think the social confirmation/rejection of behaviour is important in an evolved and self-regulated society.  Letting someone get away with being a jackass will just result in more jackassery.  Leaving it alone is difficult for me.  In light of Parsad's reminder and my own views, I'll try to curb offending comments with a polite reminder of these guidelines instead of escalating a war of words.

I havent noticed alot of what was in the above posts but then again, i havent been in as many threads as I was back in the day.. especially since i am holding mostly cash trying to get the proper  temp of the current economic landscape.

Some people need to remember the "information" in these threads is free and no one is forcing to read or accept.

Having said that, looks like i missed alot of shenanigans...

oh, and I'm from the class of "its been too long" :)

"There's a big difference between questioning an idea and questioning a person."   Words of wisdom.

Note to all. Check out any discussion on Stockhouse or Yahoo boards and you will see a big difference from this board. Those boards are becoming so cluttered with idiots that they have pretty well lost any value as forums. While discussions here can at times become a little heated we all have to try to keep our discussions gentlemanly (or lady-like as the situation dictates).

When we debate a subject it is important to remember that rarely is any subject black or white. Before I post anything I try to ask myself, will this look foolish when someone reads this two weeks from now and will someone read this in a different way from that which I intend. This is why I often hit the delete button before the post button.

We've had a number of new members join the board in the last year, and I've noticed a signficant deterioration in board courtesy and conduct.  I would appreciate if board members conducted themselves in a manner that encourages intelligent dialogue and debate, without callous dismissal or ridicule of other members. 

No one is forcing any member to read all threads, posts or ideas.  If there is something that is not to your liking, please feel free to ignore...a retort is not required.  Those issues that interest you, please feel free to engage participants.  Thanks! 

Sanjeev

Thanks, Sanjeev, for the timely reminder. Some of us get carried away from to time to time in the heat of the discussion. A gentle reminder is always welcome.

Cheers!