Vancouver vs Boston

ubuy2wron

Not worried.  Against Chicago, Luongo and the team had some psychological hurdles to get over from past defeats, and they were hammered in game 5 after the embarrasing 7-2 loss in game 4.  This time, they have no issues like that, and usually Luongo comes out the next game and plays out of his mind...should be a goal-tending duel next game.  I would guess that Ballard and Tanev will also come in if Hamhuis can't play, with Rome and Alberts out.  That would give them much more mobility on the back-end and a little more offense.  Should be one heck of game on Wednesday!  Cheers! 

Enjoying this series.. I’m hoping that it’ll go 7 games though as on Wednesday I’ll be on my way to La Crosse Wisconsin as chaperone for 13 teens in an international Future problem solvers competition.. I’m guessing they won’t leave me any time to watch the game 5 either…

So please get this into next week…

Hockey isn’t my number one sport by any means and I came late to the game so I don’t have too much experience watching it so a couple of questions for the hockey nuts here..

1) Are Vancouver always that dirty/snide? Seems to be a lot going on – I know that Boston are a big team (and the farm team they have only seems to recruit big players) so is it a case of not being able to match Boston physically so play dirty to wind them up?

2) Chara – obviously highly rated but to me he’s not agile enough in tight turns and even a bit slow. Seems to always be around when the puck gets turned over and its normally because someone has out witted him on the ice.. Does his size outweigh the deficiencies in his game?

Is there any professional study in sports or hockey showing a home-game effect, that is a psychological advantage to the home team? Similar to the home-bias in investing?

Yeah, the home game advantage is pretty well documented across a variety of sports. Psychology is a big part of it (I read somewhere that pro hockey players actually have higher testosterone levels when playing on home ice), but familiarity with the stadium or conditions can also give the home team an advantage.

1)  Are Vancouver always that dirty/snide? Seems to be a lot going on – I know that Boston are a big team (and the farm team they have only seems to recruit big players) so is it a case of not being able to match Boston physically so play dirty to wind them up?

Nope.  But they will get dirty with the dirty teams.  Don't let Boston's soft exterior fool you.  They are probably one of the dirtiest teams in the league.  The Vancouver-Nashville series was one of the cleanest and most respectful series you will see.  Nashville plays clean. 

2) Chara – obviously highly rated but to me he’s not agile enough in tight turns and even a bit slow. Seems to always be around when the puck gets turned over and its normally because someone has out witted him on the ice.. Does his size outweigh the deficiencies in his game?

Correct.  Great reach and sees the game well, but as slow as he is strong.  Canucks played down to Boston's level by playing a rough and tumble game.  They won't beat them that way.  They have to use their speed and offensive skills.  With Rome suspended four games, Tanev and Ballard should come in and you will see how good Vancouver's defense is.  Luongo is also pissed that his teammates hung him out to dry with 8 goals...he'll find his groove the next game, and shut the door.  If the Canuck forwards use their speed and skill, Boston won't be able to stop them.  Cheers! 

.  Don't let Boston's soft exterior fool you.  They are probably one of the dirtiest teams in the league. 

Correct.  Great reach and sees the game well, but as slow as he is strong. 

I've seen the Providence Bruins play a few times... they all seem to be 6foot + and play a very physical game - seems to be the Bruins culture.. and dirty too. The nice exterior to the media doesn't fool me..

and for Chara - thanks for confirming that.. I get the feeling that they should stick to having him on the ice for Penalty situations only - for and against the Bruins.. normal play seems to slip by him..