Shorts

Guest HarryLong

Guest HarryLong

Here are some things I'm short and/or some potential shorts I'm thinking about. From a probabalistic point of view, they're interesting. We'll see what happens.

AVII

BTX

BVN

DLB

GERN

GOOG

HALO

INFY

ISIS

WAVX

NVAX

HDB

NABI

CNQR

CYTX

TRGT

NG

HTWR

MITI

MSFT

PHI

QLGC

RMBS

SCCO

SID

SLAB

TAT

UNIS

WHX

GNI

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HarryLong

Hi Harry,

Just curious what is your rationale for shorting ISIS?  Their deteriorating cash position?  Declining potential of a buyout?

There seems to be some potential catalysts later this year and solid IP to back them up. 

KP

I'll be right on some and wrong on others. We'll see what happens. I should say that some of these (which I will decline to sort out, I've been short for a while, however that's defined).

Guest HarryLong

Of course, some of them, I haven't yet shorted and maybe never will. But I'm watching them  ;D

Interesting list Harry.  I'm with you (maybe) on htwr. I couldn't find shrs to short, so used jun 80 put which should be profitable. I follow several others and not sure I share your view on ng, phi and the large techs. Thanks for sharing

Guest HarryLong

Mr. Harry Long

Can you speak more to what you mean by "probabilistic Point of view?"

Also, do you drive a car with an unusually small gas tank?  I only ask because I might want to buy it from you.

TIA

David Woo

Good question David. There's a technical definition I want to share with you which is highly quantitative and correlated with an advanced knowledge of theoretical statistics:

As an example, if I wasn't right about being long SURW at $7, I must be brain dead.

If I'm wrong about shorting some of the list above, I must be human.

As I said, highly technical  ;D

Welcome back Harry, always a good conversation / debate when you are around. I would like to understand your short thesis on MSFT and GOOG. I have no stake.

I do however own TAT and would be curious to know why you are short. For the most part for me its a play on Management which could work out well or end badly. What do you see.

The Davidwoo schtick is amusing generally.  The car with the small gas tank is funny.  But please refrain from speaking about children like this.  I don't want to be a hardass but it's very odd and frankly quite sketchy. 

There's no holier than thou attitude or delicate sensibilities.  Say whatever the hell you want.  I can see how you misinterpreted the symbol SURW for Suri Cruise.  Common mistake.  As I said, say whatever you want.  Don't talk about children though in a manner that suggests than being sold.  I will speak for myself only.  I don't find it funny.  The rest of your schtick is just fine.  Stay with jokes about saving money by making your gas tank smaller and you will keep an audience. 

Guest Hester

Not a bad day so far with SCCO and BVN  ;D

BTX is shaping up nicely as well  ;D

I trust you'll be back with a humble frowny face if one of the stocks on your list is up 10% at some point in time.

Guest HarryLong

Here are some things I'm short and/or some potential shorts I'm thinking about. From a probabalistic point of view, they're interesting. We'll see what happens.

AVII

BTX

BVN

DLB

GERN

GOOG

HALO

INFY

ISIS

WAVX

NVAX

HDB

NABI

CNQR

CYTX

TRGT

NG

HTWR

MITI

MSFT

PHI

QLGC

RMBS

SCCO

SID

SLAB

TAT

UNIS

WHX

GNI

Did anyone actually end up shorting a boatload of things?  ;D

Guest VAL9000

Nope, but I'm buying from that list.  MSFT and GOOG.

AVII

BTX

BVN

DLB

GERN

GOOG

HALO

INFY

ISIS

WAVX

NVAX

HDB

NABI

CNQR

CYTX

TRGT

NG

HTWR

MITI

MSFT

PHI

QLGC

RMBS

SCCO

SID

SLAB

TAT

UNIS

WHX

GNI

Harry, do you always measure performance on a minute to minute or daily basis?  :)  Can you tell me how you've done since 10:53 am this morning?  Because based on that I will decide whether your picks were good ones or not.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone end up shorting GOOG?  :'(

Why the sad face? Did you short it?

I bought GOOG 3 weeks ago. Up 24% since then.

That's too short a time period for me to pat myself on the back and have an opinion either way on the correctness of my analysis, but I'm happy with Mr. Market;s mood right now and glad I didn't dither for a few days more...

Guest Hester

Why the sad face? Did you short it?

I bought GOOG 3 weeks ago. Up 24% since then.

That's too short a time period for me to pat myself on the back and have an opinion either way on the correctness of my analysis, but I'm happy with Mr. Market;s mood right now and glad I didn't dither for a few days more...

No, I actually bought GOOG a few weeks ago too. Made it a smaller position though. Up about 25%, has been a nice surprise.

Harry Long loves to come out and brag and push back on anyone who was skeptical of his idea, when his pick is up 10 or 15% in some short period of time. He of course is no where to be seen when one of his picks is down.

Follow this thread, when anyone of his shorts was off 15 or 20%, he'd come back with a proud smiley face, letting us all know about it. I'm just letting him know that not all of his picks are going down.  ;D