Portfolio Tracking Software

Crip1

Hello All:

Can anyone provide insight on a reasonably robust, and reasonably priced, portfolio tracking software package? Years ago I used Quicken for all of my personal finance and their software was decent, though a little less robust than I would have liked. I would like to be able to track buys/sells, total return, dividends reinvested, etc, and have the ability to report on total returns, total yield, etc. I want to say that there was a thread on this subject a few years back on the MSN Board but even if I could find that, the info would be rather dated.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Crip

I just wanted to bump this question up to the top since no one has answered it yet and because I have the same need.  I break out the pencil and calculator all too often and I'm not happy with any software I've tried.  What do people here use/recommend?

I've using Quicken for years, updating about every other release. I'm currently using 2007 Deluxe. The basic investment tracking module has improved over the years as well as their ad hoc reporting capabilities. I'm able to download transactions from the brokerages I use, which is very convenient. They have lots of graphs and things I don't use, but for return data, especially at tax time it works for me.

It takes some time to categorize the stocks, PDFs, funds, etc. to make the reporting more meaningful, but it's not difficult and in some categories you can add custom field names. You can run reports by accounts, retirement, security types, etc. I haven't done much with dividends and yields, but have started looking around and there seems to be adequate reporting.

There's a lot of value for the price!

• 6 years later...

Bumping up this dormant thread - appears that people have a good solution because this question is not being asked as much...

It would be great if you could share what works for you - in terms of a software that can compile more than one account at more than one brokerage, and to assess returns of various holdings, ideally including dividends etc.

I have tried using Fund Manager Software, and while it appears very capable - it is on Windows (requires VM on a Mac). Am open to learning some more if that is the best solution.

Thank you!

But in the end I decided to just use Excel, since I only look at performance once a year on purpose.

How do you account for contributions or withdrawals from the investment corpus during the year?

For Excel, you can use the XIRR function. I use Interactive Brokers as my broker and they have all that custom built into the system. Can't beat it for the price!

Sounds like Interactive Brokers solves the problem... That is great.

In order to use the XIRR function in Excel, every buy and sell and dividends would need to be entered into Excel, isn't it?

I am not hung up about measuring portfolio return daily, but a monthly check with the least amount of additional admin work is what I am hoping to be able to do. And the Excel solution appears to need a lot of manual work...

As God is my witness, I have no recollection of starting this thread.

-Crip

You know they say memory is the first thing to go....  Just kidding, it was 7 years ago.

I've since moved all of my accounts over to Fidelity and use their reporting and performance reports.  Once a month I can see my performance for a number of time periods all the way back to the start of my accounts with Fidelity.  I've never found cheap, easy to use software to do this myself.  And at this point I'm not going to be spending time putting 20 years of transactions with splits, symbol changes, dividends (some reinvested some not), etc, into excel.  Too much work and I only need it for my own curiosity as I don't handle other people's money.

I've since moved all of my accounts over to Fidelity and use their reporting and performance reports.  Once a month I can see my performance for a number of time periods all the way back to the start of my accounts with Fidelity.

Thanks for sharing your solution. Some day I need to do that.