Prem letter to Dakshana scholars

I was going to order that one for a while now, thanks for the reminder!

Dispatch estimate for these items: 25 May 2011

1 "Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic"

Napoleon Hill; Hardcover; £6.24

In stock

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

;D

I recently bought it thru amazon...only $0.78.

I am about 1/4 thru it.

Good book especially for young adult... I am thinking about buying a cop for all my kids(though I don t know if they will read it), as I wish I would have read it when I was 20.

Pff..

Just read both introductions and some passages and it feels ... cheap, very commercial and even a bit fake.

All the repetitions, the promises, ... I feel I have read the word "secret" 50 times already.   :-\

Maybe it is just the classic version of "The Secret", which in my opinion was commercial b******* sold by a slick salesman. Here too failure probably only comes from not trying hard enough or because "you are not ready"..?  ::)

Of course there is truth in the strength of desire, auto-suggestion, ... but I don't need to read a book with 400 pages including a lot of tales and maybe even nonsense.

I am 21 biaggio and maybe I am judging this book too soon, time will tell as I read more. Maybe I should trust in Prem's wisdom and/or just seek the value of specific parts in the book that are likable.

IIT is the best technology school in India. This is a text of a Dakshana email that was sent out just a few minutes back:

Dear Friend,

Hope all is well.  I thought you’d appreciate the great news.  We prepared and supported 50 scholars for the  IIT-JEE 2011 and 37 qualified.  A stunning 74% of our Dakshana Scholars cracked the IIT-JEE!  Last year 31% of scholars made it. And the year before was 21%. We’re getting better at this.

Bhrugupati Hansda is our IIT-JEE topper with an All-India ST rank of 15.  His mother is illiterate and his father is retired with a monthly pension of Rs. 3000. You can get more details via our recent Press Release. And the detailed 2011 results are posted on our website as well. The Times of India did a nice article yesterday on our 2011 scholars.

I hope that you can grace our recognition ceremony on June 19 at 4:00 PM at USI, New Delhi (same location as last year). Details will be posted on our website in a few days. My family and I will be there, as will Colonel Sharma, our CEO and our full India-based team.

Links:

2011 Results Press release:                               

2011 IIT-JEE Results Summary:             

Times of India article on 2011 Dakshana Scholars   

Warmly, 

Mohnish Pabrai

Founder & Catalyst

The Dakshana Foundation

Tel. +1949.453.0609

mpabrai@dakshana.org

www.dakshana.org

Tom,

you can read it for free here.  it's in public domain now.   Yes, it seems a lot of the stuff in "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne was copied from Napolean Hill.

http://www.archive.org/details/Think_and_Grow_Rich

Hey,

I already bought the book this week (I blindly buy books that are recommended by Buffett, Watsa & others and almost always find great value in them.) but thanks for the link anyway.

What did you personally think of it?

Tom,

you can read it for free here.  it's in public domain now.   Yes, it seems a lot of the stuff in "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne was copied from Napolean Hill.

http://www.archive.org/details/Think_and_Grow_Rich

Hey,

I already bought the book this week (I blindly buy books that are recommended by Buffett, Watsa & others and almost always find great value in them.) but thanks for the link anyway.

What did you personally think of it?

Tom,

It was about 7 years ago that I looked at it.  I don't think I read the entire book so I may not have gotten the full benefit. I had a hard time reading some of it. I felt a little like I was being force-fed in some of the sections.

I think that some people will learn from the book and improve their life or relationships, or achieve great things. Others will be take the ideas too far in the wrong directions and end up wasting their life pursuing something they thought they wanted. To the outsider, those people might still be viewed as successful.  Teachings like this are kind of like religion. It can be a force for good or bad depending how it is used.

It makes me reflect on this quote:

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is liking what you get." -- H Jackson Brown

Tom,

I think you are way ahead of most 21 year olds. You are way ahead of most people I deal with. You are certainly way further than I was at 21.

It s funny, I have everything I have ever wanted , dreamed and envisioned. I like what I have . I am happy. I will be turning 49. Sometimes I wish I would have wanted more or dreamed of more...not that I want more things, but sometimes I feel like I could have achieved more/done more. I certainly had no type of mental model or approach as described in the book.

I think most people underachieve (not anyone on this board, I am talking in society). They do not have any belief in themselves, have quit dreaming long ago or are just floating around trying to get something for nothing. It's sad for them. Its more fun trying to achieve,to contribute.

I never read the book The Secret.

I bought the electronic version of "Think and grow rich" + it certainly is not 400 pages, I wonder if it is the original version (I bought the cheapest one, not knowing there was a free version). I have not had time to do much reading so I am still only 30% thru the book.

74% ?! This just made my day. Way to go Mohnish and Prem !!

IIT is the best technology school in India. This is a text of a Dakshana email that was sent out just a few minutes back:

Dear Friend,

Hope all is well.  I thought you’d appreciate the great news.  We prepared and supported 50 scholars for the  IIT-JEE 2011 and 37 qualified.  A stunning 74% of our Dakshana Scholars cracked the IIT-JEE!  Last year 31% of scholars made it. And the year before was 21%. We’re getting better at this.

Bhrugupati Hansda is our IIT-JEE topper with an All-India ST rank of 15.  His mother is illiterate and his father is retired with a monthly pension of Rs. 3000. You can get more details via our recent Press Release. And the detailed 2011 results are posted on our website as well. The Times of India did a nice article yesterday on our 2011 scholars.

I hope that you can grace our recognition ceremony on June 19 at 4:00 PM at USI, New Delhi (same location as last year). Details will be posted on our website in a few days. My family and I will be there, as will Colonel Sharma, our CEO and our full India-based team.

Links:

2011 Results Press release:                                 

2011 IIT-JEE Results Summary:             

Times of India article on 2011 Dakshana Scholars   

Warmly, 

Mohnish Pabrai

Founder & Catalyst

The Dakshana Foundation

Tel. +1949.453.0609

mpabrai@dakshana.org

www.dakshana.org

There is a quotation that someone gave me about 30 years ago, in a seminar, which impressed me so much that it became the front cover of my personal "ops binder" when I started my business.  The idea is somewhat along the lines of Napoleon Hill's book:

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.  Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:

"That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred.  A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way."

That is from W. H. Murray, "The Scottish Himilayan Expedition"

Boiled down...  Specific and stated objectives elicit support from others.  And evident sustained commitment.  People can trust you to make good use of their help, for the goals for which they gave their support to you.

Great thoughtful comments all.

I have a question--I have been thinking about taking the non-copyrighted version the 1937 Think and grow rich and updating it.

What do people think about a more relevant update?

Parts really do seem totally outmoded. (Now obviously The Secret is a different take on the genre, but yet I like the Hill book so much, but my own kids would not take it seriously, given how stilted it is!

Thanks woodstove for sharing.

Woodstove, your "ops file" is that for operations? I was wondering what you put in that? I have been thinking of starting an "oops file", a file looking at the mistakes/errors I have made. I think my biggest errors have been in hesitating, and procrastinating. I have copied your quote + will read it from time to time.

" I read it or listened to it at 21 and now get so much more out of it. Interesting..."

-someone once said that when you are young one has all the answers. As you get older you have all the questions. Or something like that.

" I read it or listened to it at 21 and now get so much more out of it. Interesting..."

-someone once said that when you are young one has all the answers. As you get older you have all the questions. Or something like that.

Lol so true.

Thanks woodstove for sharing.

Woodstove, your "ops file" is that for operations? I was wondering what you put in that? I have been thinking of starting an "oops file", a file looking at the mistakes/errors I have made. I think my biggest errors have been in hesitating, and procrastinating. I have copied your quote + will read it from time to time.

Biaggio - OOPS file!!!  I love that name.  In fact, I have something like it - sort of a trade diary of big decisions.  I revisit it when I am in a contemplative mood.  Sad part is I find wondering about how well structured my past decision processes were against the present and end up wondering "I was that smart".  And I am not that old!!!!