25 years of fairfax

shalab

Any more info on this book - where can it be bought or found? I read "there is always something to do" - it is a good book. Surprising that Cundill passed away in his seventies given that he was a fitness fanatic.

Any more info on this book - where can it be bought or found? I read "there is always something to do" - it is a good book. Surprising that Cundill passed away in his seventies given that he was a fitness fanatic.

Peter died from a disease that no amount of clean living could offset ironic yes. The book made me much more aware of how important his big picture as well as the balance sheet was involved in his investment success same certainly could be said for Prem and Warren as well.

I'd suggest calling FFH and leaving word with investor relations that you would like a copy mailed to you. They probably have some leftovers. It is worth every page.

Well, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

This probably doesn't scale to the whole forum, but I just called and spoke to a very nice lady who said she'd put a copy in the mail for me. I'm very excited to finally get my hands on this book!

Cheers!

Hi Folks,

I talked to Fairfax and the best thing to do is call their switchboard number (416)367-4941 and ask for investor relations.  They will do what they can as they have a limited supply of books.  Cheers!

I read it last weekend and thought it was extremely well made. Very high quality, and for a relatively new shareholder like me, it was great to learn about details that don't show up in 99% of articles on FFH that you could find online... Kudos to everybody who put this together!  :)

I sent an email request on May 26, and received this response today:

Thank you very much for your interest in Fairfax and our 25th anniversary book.

The book was provided at the shareholders’ meeting as a thanks for the many years of support and was intended to be distributed to shareholders only on that day.

Understanding that not all of our shareholders can attend every meeting in person for many reasons, we have decided to send copies of the book to shareholders who send us a written letter by regular post. The letter should clearly provide your name, mailing address and the year you became a shareholder.

Our mailing address is:

Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited

95 Wellington Street West, Suite 800,

TORONTO, Ontario Canada  M5J 2N7 

Attention:  25th Anniversary Book.

In lieu of requesting funds to cover postage for delivery of the book, we will be asking that the recipient of each book make a donation to the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto (http://www.sickkidsfoundation.com/donate/).

We thank you again for your interest and we look forward to seeing you in person at our next annual meeting. In the future, we hope to be able to continue provide interesting information and access to management at each of our shareholders’ meetings to make the trip in person worth your time and effort.

Best regards,

Christine

I read it and enjoyed it.  It's really more like a long booklet than a book.  I would have loved for it to be longer with more detail.  That isn't a criticism, I simply found it interesting and would have liked more.  I liked the way they put the clips of the various newspaper articles, but wish they had included the entire article and not just the headline and first paragraph or so.  I found myself reading them and then all of a sudden it is cut off!  For someone who doesn't know a lot about the company I felt it gave me a decent background on them and I came away suitably impressed.  For those who haven't read it though, I will note that as it was prepared by the company it isn't as hard hitting as a third party book might be.  Don't get me wrong, they do point out their mistakes, etc., but with a gentle touch.  No harm in that of course so long as you keep in mind who wrote it.  One thing I could have done without is the constant "fair and friendly" refrain and that Prem is the most wonderful human being to have ever walked the earth.  Sacrilege, I know, but a bit too kool aid like for me.  All in all though I do recommend it as an informative, fast and enjoyable read.