America, the world's sweatshop

Hoodlum

I am sure there are varying opinions on this.  But do you think this is the direction certain parts of the US are headed in.  And will we eventually see social unrest.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/994354--olive-america-the-world-s-sweatshop

U.S. and a few Canadian manufacturers have long been relocating in the low-wage U.S. South. They’ve now been joined by European multinationals, most of which also operate in Canada. The Euros leave behind the social-justice practices of their homelands, as keen to squeeze blood from a stone as the most avaricious business operator.

A stunning Human Rights Watch report from last September describes systematic exploitation of U.S. workers by such familiar European names as Ikea, Sodexo, BMW, Siemens, Daimler and Volkswagen.

But China is no longer the “off-shoring” jurisdiction of choice. With annual wage gains now averaging 15 per cent to 20 per cent, combined with stagnant wages in North America, China will lose its labour-cost advantage over North America in just four years time, according to a report this month by the Boston Consulting Group.

Very poorly written and biased article IMO. Filled with cherry picked examples. For some reason it cites Deutsche Bank as an example even though that example has nothing to do with labor. And in case the author of the article didn't notice, the South has a bit of an unemployment problem right now. Unions are anathema to employment. I could have just as easily written an article lauding the free market for allowing firms the opportunity to provide employment to the south due to its low labor costs and right to work laws.

Very poorly written and biased article IMO. Filled with cherry picked examples. For some reason it cites Deutsche Bank as an example even though that example has nothing to do with labor. And in case the author of the article didn't notice, the South has a bit of an unemployment problem right now. Unions are anathema to employment. I could have just as easily written an article lauding the free market for allowing firms the opportunity to provide employment to the south due to its low labor costs and right to work laws.

Give me a break assembly workers in China making 7 dollars a day in the south 7 dollars and hour.