Locked Topics

Parsad

Ok Folks, the noise on the board has decreased significantly in the last week, and I think we are getting back to normal here.  So certain topics, such as the post related to the IMF President's transgressions, will be locked once I think the thread has worn out its welcome.  This is a value investing board, so let's try to keep it somewhat investment related...for example IMF thread is locked...whereas the Ireland post that has some real resonance to the macro-environment is fair game and won't be locked.  Make sense?  Cheers!

Guest ValueCarl

Only because you say so!  ;D

However, that IMF leadership crisis has the potential to cause shock waves that roil all global markets beyond Europe into China, India as well as Brazil considering his influences and involvement during the prior implosion in 08/09. Ignoring it doesn't seem wise, but it's your board.   

Couple of diverse comments that might fit here

1) I see that Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of Canada is being mentioned as a possible replacement for SK.

2) Yesterday I saw where an individual on a Stockhouse thread that I was following was apparently forced to write a retraction for comments he made. In the past others have been sued for comments made on that board. I only mention this because sometimes we have to remember to be a little careful what we write here or elsewhere because there can be ramifications if we get to little carried away. This is especially true when we comment on matters that are before the courts such as this or the Fairfax lawsuit. However, Sanjeev keeps close tabs on things but he can't read everything all the time. I am not referring to any particular posts or individuals, but I have seen comments that run pretty close to the line. So I just wanted to remind everyone that there are some vultures out there who would like to take a shot at people who made negative comments about them.

Cwericb, that's exactly the reason.  I'm not interested in being sued, or seeing any boardmembers sued because we can't control our emotions or comments.  If any boardmembers slander or libel someone, they could sue me to release a member's IP address and any other info I have on them.  I'm not interested in seeing anyone go to court by posting on a message board. 

So everyone has to be careful about what they say, especially conspiracies, name-calling, etc.  Steve Cohen may not be everyone's favorite hedge fund manager, nor the President of the IMF, but the litigious nature of the United States court system says that someone can sue us if they feel they've been slandered.  I will boot people off permanently if they can't follow that rule...plain and simple!  Cheers!

Guest ValueCarl

There is U.S. court precedent protecting the same miscreants who use their lies-free speech-to disparage companies and management teams on message boards. One needn't go further than Yahoo Finance's message boards for consistent libel based upon innuendo, ignorance even, which occurs there daily and incessantly by example. Not that one would want to use that zoo as the standard, however. 

On the other hand, I do appreciate your cautious nature. Besides, Steven Cohen is a bad example. He is a trading God who stands toe to toe with Warren Buffett if you haven't been reading the headlines. 

There is U.S. court precedent protecting the same miscreants who use their lies-free speech-to disparage companies and management teams on message boards. One needn't go further than Yahoo Finance's message boards for consistent libel based upon innuendo, ignorance even, which occurs there daily and incessantly by example. Not that one would want to use that zoo as the standard, however.

Yahoo has unlimited resources to foot their legal bill when utilizing that precedent.  They can have 1,000 people sue them every year, and they can go to court and fight every one of them.  Carl, are you going to foot my legal bill, since I do not have unlimited resources?  

It's easy to say that there is a precedent set...you still have to hire a lawyer to stipulate that your freedoms are protected under a previous case, as well as all court filing fees, administrative costs and support staff if required.  It's either members control their comments, I boot them off when they don't, or we shut down the message board.  You have a choice!  Cheers!

Guest ValueCarl

You're doing the prudent thing with the exception that indifference through censorship for speaking out against the blatant moral corruption taking place across the global financial markets by a host of participants, is akin to "high blood pressure" being the "silent killer" for people and their nations.

For example, when I heard Donald Trump curse China as he did, basically inciting trade wars which would end in WW3, I could not stand idle with the thought of my countrymen embracing that type of dictator inclusive of "The Trump Doctrine" he had the gall to cite in public like that. This is a man who describes himself as a business mogul, nonetheless.

Imagine of you had a son in the US military complex potentially being exposed to the kind of harm Donald Trump was endorsing for his People? Forty years after Richard Nixon opened up trading doors to Donald Trump closing them!

I will apologize for being the third triumvirate of your three misfit toys who remained undeterred from moving ahead with what has to be perceived as controversial. Thank you for your warning, fair play, and openness to discuss your position intelligently. I agree with you, even though I don't like it!           

I agree with everything you said Carl, but there are other resources for specific issues such as politics.  Another idea as Myth suggested is starting a blog specifically to tackle subjects that would be deemed inappropriate for an investment message board.  Your desire to confront certain issues comes at the expense of someone else. 

And before you go on charging about how Patrick Byrne has tackled these miscreants head-on, you should remember that Patrick has 100 times the resources I have, and his blog is partially paid for by the shareholders of Overstock.com.  There is always a cost!  Unfortunately in the United States, freedom of expression isn't always free.  Cheers!

Some of our members need to keep a couple of things in mind.

1) This board is moderated in Canada.

2) I believe Canadian libel laws differ somewhat from those in the U.S.

3) You may call a crook a crook. However that crook can haul you into court and make you prove that he is actually a crook and this can be very difficult and very expensive. If that crook is far wealthier than you he can cost you an enormous amount before (if you are very, very lucky) you get a judgement in your favour. Then he can apeal it until the cows come home. Just look at some of the far fetched things SAC is throwing at Fairfax to delay and drag things out.

Now, no one wants to see anyone on this board get into that kind of trouble. But we all have to keep in mind that it could be Sanjeev who could end up having to protect himself from a libel suit for something that I wrote because he missed it and allowed it to be posted on the board. This is of no little concern as several Stockhouse board members have been sued, so that should serve as a warning to us all. And I don't for a minute exempt myself from this as I have written more than my share of venomous letters in my time, however there are ways of telling someone to go to hell in such a way as he cannot wait to get there.

So the bottom line here is that if you want to call a guy a crook, just be careful to do it in a nice ambiguous way so that no one gets in trouble.

Guest ValueCarl

Another blogger, Myth? Good God, with so much supply, is there any demand left?  ;)

What would you call my blog? Confirming Conspiracy Theory(CCT)  ;D