Poll: Ignore user feature

omagh
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seems to me that respectful disagreement is the cornerstone of any valuable debate, and that ignoring someone is the opposite of respectful. If you think that a certain poster is full of it, why not just say so? An ignore function creates a web of hidden possibility in that you're not really sure if someone is reading a message or not because they may have had the ignore function set.

Just my $.02...

Alpha 23 posted while I was writing this and I pertty well echo what he says.

I say no, at least at this point.

I very much value everyone's opinion. Particularly when there are discussions about a particular company and some members like the company and state their reasons, then the detractors raise their own points and questions. I don't know about everyone else, but this is what I value most about this board. It is a balance that I have trouble finding in the press or other boards. If there are members or comments I want to ignore I am capable of doing that myself. As the saying goes ' Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one'. I like to see both sides of the coin and even the dumbest person can sometimes come up with a view I haven't considered.

Also, some may consider some of the humour or wit that is displayed by certain members to be frivolous, but personally I quite enjoy most of it.

"Why subject me to your views on whether I have to read other's views?"

If you are not interested in other views why would you read this thread or the board for that matter? Isn't that the whole idea behind a message board - to exchange views?

I think the biggest problem may be, and I'm sure we are all guilty here, is not moving over to a new thread when the original subject is veered off. All though it is hard to know at what point that is, because most subjects do not involve only one thing that effects them. IE a lot of investment decisions are affected by political decisions, so I guess once it moves off actual policy it may be time to abandon that thread.

I personally  haven't came across any one poster on this board that I would want to block all their posts. I may disagree with some of their ideas but agree with others, live and let live. Although I'm somewhat jealous of the very eloquent writers on here, that can take many paragraphs for a one sentence point.  ;D

The discussions on the board have taught me a lot. I wouldn't want to ignore anyone. An ignore button is just a step toward a yahoo message board.

Eric, I really like your approach to risk. All your chatter has helped me!

Guest VAL9000

how does it effect you if i ignore someone? 

Well for one thing, if you chose to ignore HarryLong then we'd all miss the Battle Royale you two are having over MNTG!

It's easy enough to not read things you don't want to read, I don't feel this feature is particularly needed. In fact, I feel like it could make some threads degenerate into high-school fights about who's ignoring who and people constantly saying in public who they're ignoring as a challenge/public diss, etc. It feels like it wouldn't help at all... My 2 cents.

It's easy enough to not read things you don't want to read, I don't feel this feature is particularly needed. In fact, I feel like it could make some threads degenerate into high-school fights about who's ignoring who and people constantly saying in public who they're ignoring as a challenge/public diss, etc. It feels like it wouldn't help at all... My 2 cents.

Couldn't we be saying that now?  What's to stop people from bashing other posters and telling them how much they suck and how they aren't paying attention to their posts?  Nothing.

All an "ignore" function does is allow people to literally ignore someone that they view as a nuisance to the board. 

For the record, I wouldn't put anyone on ignore here.  I'm just saying it's a good function to have on a message board.  And it's not really controversial.  That's why I find the thread funny.

Bah, forget the "Ignore User" option and just give me an "Ignore Canadians Talking About Hockey or U.S. Politics" feature.   :)

I think the more appropriate thread is "should there be an ignore LVLT option"

That DriveTime commercial is singing in the back of my head... Approved! Approved!

;D

If someone was a true nuisance, Sanj would just boot them off, hopefully. I thnk he would give a warning and then, goodbye.

Lol on the lvlt thread ignore. 

I couldn't imagine needing it here but i understand wanting options.  I would prefer to keep the board self policed with a reasonable moderator like Sanj.  It is quite surprising that more Yahoo type posters haven't tried to participate.

Off topic a bit...does anyone understand how the yahoo message boards got the way they are?  How can so many idiots post so frequently in one spot?  Do people who write such non-sense actually invest in the stock market?  Is it all just pump and dump or short and distort?  It is a shame really that those boards are so useless and i hope that the way Sanj has set this board up, that it can't happen here.

You can ignore by simply not reading and moving to the next post.  Why add a layer of complexity to a great board.

+1

It's helpful if people are rigourous about confining discussions to particular threads so that it's easy to skim over the areas that are not of interest.  In that context, I am a little surprised about the comments about LVLT from some users.  Whether you believe that the LVLT discussion is fabulous or inane, it is nicely confined to a particular area which makes it either easy to find or easy to avoid.

It is also easy to simply ignore a particular user if that's what you deem to be appropriate.  I do not tend to do that because it's helpful to use the behaviour of even the worst ignoramus as a reminder of how not to conduct myself and how personality flaws can be harmful to making sound investment decisions.

IMO, Sanj has generally done a very good job of turfing the few incorrigibly disruptive personalities and ensuring that discussions do not deteriorate in a counterproductive manner.

SJ