Erin Burnett Has a Brain, Possibly?

Guest ValueCarl

Guest ValueCarl

One of the foxier CNBC hostesses full of youth, vitality and mostly smarts for reporting "facts" as I depicted her to be on Bloomberg prior to coming to CNBC. Sanjeev, you should have carved out a "video channel" for her on this board in a "pay for performance" compensation scheme, i.e., eye balls visiting and participating. If I was reading that hound dog Bronco correctly in the past, he would have subscribed!  I might also assuming the "investment content" remained of "high quality."  ;)

Erin Burnett is ready for a change. Are we?

Commentary: Popular CNBC anchor is moving into uncharted waters      04/29 11:34 AM

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Erin Burnett, you're on.

Burnett, the popular CNBC business-news anchor, is moving to CNN (TWX:$37.82,00$0.5900,1.58%) , underscoring her desire for a change of scene.

She's ready, all right. Is America, though?

Burnett had a niche at CNBC. She could be glib, perky, serious, goofy -- whatever the situation demanded. Though she was noted for traveling widely on stories, critics will argue that she fared best in unserious roles because her natural cheeriness shines through on television.

On CNN (TWX:$37.82,00$0.5900,1.58%) , however, Burnett will have a whole different kind of challenge. She'll have to be quicker, newsier and less reliant on set pieces -- such as stocks go up or earnings decline, ad nauseam.

Burnett must now display an ability to analyze general news and go beyond the data.

For CNBC, it is a serious loss. Burnett, along with veteran Maria Bartiromo, had come to speak for the channel during parts of the day when its audience was biggest. Comcast (CMCSA:$26.10,00$-0.03,00-0.11%) -controlled CNBC will now have to find someone to take Burnett's place and help rejuvenate the network.

CNN (TWX:$37.82,00$0.5900,1.58%) , a Time Warner (TWX:$37.82,00$0.5900,1.58%) unit, will feel like crowing. Burnett is an acknowledged star in cable news, and the network needs more of those, for sure. It looks like a win for CNN (TWX:$37.82,00$0.5900,1.58%) -- as long as Burnett can handle the new job.

-- Jon Friedman

Guest Bronco

No hound dog here - married with 2 monsters that other people would describe as children. 

I'll just say she is super-cute and I doubt she is a dummy.  That being said, I don't have an opportunity to watch her on CNBC but I'm sure she'll do a fine job.

Between her and Joe Kernan, who would you choose?

Guest ValueCarl

Oh, you're like me then!  I'm not into Smerf heads and you're right, she's super cute and damn smart!  ;) I haven't watched cnbc in ions.  Did you get any Fairfax close to $350 yet?  ;D 

Guest Bronco

No fairfax.  But I'm ok with that. 

We got Flyers.  Phillies.  NFL draft.  Even some basketball.

Great weather.

Good weekend to all.

I've never been particularly impressed with Burnett's poise or ability to think on her feet. By far the most impressive host by workload and capacity to integrate information is Melissa Lee.

Once in a while you see reporters who actually appear to be diligent, like Diana Olick, appear on screen for a few seconds before being shuffled behind a flurry of stock symbols and morning radio sound bytes.

Guest ValueCarl

I don't know. I was looking at this pretty princess today live over the internet with a steady stream and no disruptions while thinking, she could be sisters with Erin. I'll bet Erin has some English roots in her too, since that, if I am not mistaken she was educated over the pond. 

God, that "Fast Money" show during Ratigan's tenure used to remind me of, "The Night of the Living Dead!" One guy looked like Dracula, and some participants had dark deep black rings under their eyes from staying up all night worrying about trades! 

Speaking of nights of the living dead, and "Kiss of Deaths," has there been any update on Joe Battipaglia's "cause of death"? Something does not smell right there.  :-\ 

Puhleeezzze bring back Liz Klaman!!!!!! and ditch Joe. I am certain he was the kinda guy that gave the smaller kids a wedgie in gym class.

Joe is growing on me. Hes annoying, but I dont know. Over the 3 years or so I have been watching I am starting to like him. His dumb persona allows him to ask questions I would want to ask, but wouldnt because I dont want to appear dumb. I hope that makes sense. He definitely was a wedgie giver, I am guessing you were the smaller kid? I was the guy watching saying damn thats screwed up, but better him then me....

Puhleeezzze bring back Liz Klaman!!!!!! and ditch Joe. I am certain he was the kinda guy that gave the smaller kids a wedgie in gym class.

Joe is growing on me. Hes annoying, but I dont know. Over the 3 years or so I have been watching I am starting to like him. His dumb persona allows him to ask questions I would want to ask, but wouldnt because I dont want to appear dumb. I hope that makes sense. He definitely was a wedgie giver, I am guessing you were the smaller kid? I was the guy watching saying damn thats screwed up, but better him then me....

I was not on the receiving end of the wedgie's it ALWAYS ticked me off when I saw bullying I usually stood up for the nerds and told the jocks to leave them alone. I find it very interesting how different personality types express their personality through their investing /trading methods.

Joe is NOT stupid but he is a bully and I suspect his golf handicap has more influence on his tenure on CNBC than any skill he has as a interviewer or a journalist.

Guest ValueCarl

I believe that but let's never forget about what happened to Lenny "LARGE" Dykstra, a true sports legend compared to Joe , for crossing over borders into businesses related to Wall Street!  ;D What a disservice for the public at large.

<Joe is NOT stupid but he is a bully and I suspect his golf handicap has more influence on his tenure on CNBC than any skill he has as a interviewer or a journalist.>

Guest ValueCarl

I do really want to know because I can handle the truth! It will set me and my brothers and sisters on the RIGHT PATH! What happened to my Joe for TWENTY YEARS of "KNOW" from THINGS that went on at GRUNTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For you see, the things we think we really know, are many times, like President Soetoro has told us, so DAMN "SILLY!"   >:(

Guest ValueCarl

However, in order to stay on topic and go along with the subject script because Bronco and I believe she is definitely a cutie, here you go!  ;) I have always asked my wife, how does a nice looking woman like this get overlooked or not taken by some man? The answer remains one of those, hmmm questions.  ???

http://www.google.com/search?q=erin+burnett+images&hl=en&rlz=1C1GPCK_enUS388US388&prmd=ivnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rYvBTbWVL4SqsAOZ1tHgBw&ved=0CBoQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=959

However, in order to stay on topic and go along with the subject script because Bronco and I believe she is definitely a cutie, here you go!  ;) I have always asked my wife, how does a nice looking woman like this get overlooked or not taken by some man? The answer remains one of those, hmmm questions.  ???

http://www.google.com/search?q=erin+burnett+images&hl=en&rlz=1C1GPCK_enUS388US388&prmd=ivnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rYvBTbWVL4SqsAOZ1tHgBw&ved=0CBoQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=959

She probably doesnt need a man right now.. in the sense that - she probably has her pick, is having fun, is young bright obviously successful.

I would say its more her not being taken-  im sure she has more than enough suitors.

Guest Bronco

I think she is extremely good looking but I fear she may have something in common with sanford and son (little bit of junk in the trunk)

That being said, I am a fan.

Guest ValueCarl

I hate to be morbid, but with all the gruesome Osama pictures being passed around the media, I see that Joe Battipaglia was buried yet his death on April 14th remains listed without a known cause.   

12:01 a.m. April 22, 2011 - By Howard Gold

A Last Good-bye to Joe B. Joe Battipaglia, the popular market strategist who died suddenly last week at 55, was buried Tuesday. The funeral mass, held in a quietly elegant Roman Catholic church in Bucks County, Pa., was filled with warm tributes to Joe as a devoted husband of 30 years to his wife Mary Ann and a wonderful father to his three children, Matthew, Christen and Jeffrey, who did the Bible readings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_2011

Something just doesn't seem right about this. Bronco, with your PA back ground in Cramer country knowing Joe was hanging his residence hat there despite being a native New Yorker who liked the NJ shore, got any SWAG's beyond Erin hanging out in Fred Sanford's trunk? Maybe we all have a little junk in our trunks, I don't know.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/obituaries/the_intelligencer/joseph-vincent-battipaglia/article_c527df31-d7b9-5bb5-8a0c-82e01f2eb6ec.html 

Guest Bronco

No idea about Joe b.  I did see him at the Trenton train station once but didn't talk to him. 

Guest ValueCarl

Bronco, Joe Battaboom's spirit continues to live on. While due north for entertainment in Ojai, CA today, I meet a 30 year investment adviser veteran, an institutional money manager for, you guessed it, Stifel Nicolaus. He shared a story about a conversation he had with Joe at or just before Greece imploding, one where one of his client's was inquiring about investing in Greek banks. A twenty minute conversation with Joe representing a personal call back, one for which he was extremely grateful for, led to the prescient decision to stay away from that hot potato.

The most interesting part of the communication he shared was, that until this day, nobody in the firm has been told what Joe's "cause of death" was. No heart attack talk to be found, and simply no explanation. The giant, gentle, Joe, just died over nothing!

I keep asking this board knowing the connections to Icahn and Cohen at his prior firm, what did twenty years at Gruntal cause Joe to know that those who should know, now never will? 

The man died like Jay Rockefeller wants to do to our internet; POOF, it's GONE, without an EXPLANATION!     

Bronco, Joe Battaboom's spirit continues to live on. While due north for entertainment in Ojai, CA today, I meet a 30 year investment adviser veteran, an institutional money manager for, you guessed it, Stifel Nicolaus. He shared a story about a conversation he had with Joe at or just before Greece imploding, one where one of his client's was inquiring about investing in Greek banks. A twenty minute conversation with Joe representing a personal call back, one for which he was extremely grateful for, led to the prescient decision to stay away from that hot potato.

The most interesting part of the communication he shared was, that until this day, nobody in the firm has been told what Joe's "cause of death" was. No heart attack talk to be found, and simply no explanation. The giant, gentle, Joe, just died over nothing!

I keep asking this board knowing the connections to Icahn and Cohen at his prior firm, what did twenty years at Gruntal cause Joe to know that those who should know, now never will?   

The man died like Jay Rockefeller wants to do to our internet; POOF, it's GONE, without an EXPLANATION!       

Carl I did not know the man at all. I did google him and it seems that many think he died of a heart attack.

CARL

Guest ValueCarl

The retroactive news being incorporated by the media is indeed beginning to show that, as I search along with you. That wasn't the case prior to today, however. He was buried on the 19th of April, five days after death, it appears. That's a very fast burial ceremony(two days total) including body "showing times" for Catholics, I might add. The autopsy should have left no reason to hold back releasing the "cause of death" during the four day period leading up to the body being viewed on the 18th, rather than reading "heart attack" as we are now, in early May. These references to "heart attack" were not there before, I am sure of that.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/stifel-nicolauss-joe-battipaglia-dead-at-55-2011-04-15

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/04/15/joesph-battipaglia-the-official-obituary/    

I guess the Wiki people can update their "cause of death" data now, too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_April_2011

Guest ValueCarl

Blame it on Erin? I think it's a great deal more, inclusive of the lack of facts folks, just the facts, which her predecessor Bloomberg News mostly focuses on. After that, the internet including all of its sources like bloggers, message boards, social media sites as well as other sub sets of traditional media outlets, are taking mind share away from an ever increasing fractured, broadly diverse, extremely mobile consumer audience. An audience mind you, who can ascertain facts just as quickly while thinking for themselves, if they choose to, sometimes even better than most news journalists over the air.

It looks like I had her "higher" educational back ground being in England wrong earlier, but this link will correct that inclusive of her strengths in finance, Goldman affiliations, CNN earlier treat and a few more facts about a special young lady.  

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/109104-Fifth_Estater_CNBC_s_Erin_Burnett.php

By the way, had anyone noticed that clown Cramer made an appearance next to that Presidential loser, Trump's "Apprentice Show" recently? Donald, I don't like you, and YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Global investors can only hope that Cramer's the next to jump this overbloated Comcast ship! Not because he's not funny, extremely bright or entertaining, but always because he is MOST DANGEROUS to the majority of POCKETBOOKS allowing themselves to be FLEECED by him!    

MEDIA WATCH: With No Explaining, CNBC Has Fallen Into A Rut       05/13 05:01 AM

Have you noticed that CNBC is missing a certain pizzazz?

I have. CNBC has become less interesting to me in the past few years. Maybe I'm alone in this opinion, but it seems to have fallen into a rut.

The problem is likely to get worse now that Erin Burnett has left the financial news network to join CNN, Burnett, an audience favorite, spiced up the broadcasts--without having to bellow. She radiated a sense of optimism and seemed to enjoy doing her job, even when the news was pretty blase. CNBC will have a hard time replacing her.

Part of CNBC's problem is the style of the network's on-air journalists. They seem to have only two gears and neither of them pleasing. The on-air journalists and personalities invariably shout at the viewers--substituting preening for offering context--or they talk in a monosyllabic tone, indicating that they're bored and can't wait to go home.

There are exceptions, of course. Take the stellar work of such CNBC veterans as Bob Pisani and David Faber. They confidently analyze the news and offer crisp, well-thought-out points of view. They also do something that is often lacking in TV news: They explain why I, as an ordinary news consumer, should care about the news. It's refreshing.

Even when Faber briefly interviewed New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan on Thursday, he worked in a key question: How do you motivate the team? Business leaders constantly worry about getting the most out of their employees, so Faber's question had resonance.

The networks' inability to explain the news is a real problem throughout cable news. It shouldn't be, though, considering how much air time the cable outlets have to fill.

Maybe the journalists simply don't understand what they're talking about and feel they can't adequately provide content. Or, the TV producers fret that viewers crave constant adrenaline rushes from the anchors and journalists and will be turned off by something as elementary as an explanation of the stories.

I know, I know. CNBC, now owned by Comcast Corp. (CMCSA:$25.07,00$-0.37,00-1.45%) , has a tough mandate, making the news seem interesting and lively day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute. This is the burden of cable television networks in the 24/7, real-time, digital age.

And yes, financial news, so weighed down with data, can appear to be a little turgid. I recognize that it is a major challenge to make a jobs report sing. It can't be easy to find something compelling to say at 3 p.m. about news that broke before the opening bell sounded at the New York Stock Exchange.

Perhaps CNBC is feeling the effects of a brain drain in its on-air ranks. CNBC has lost some familiar faces and voices in the past few years, such as Dylan Ratigan, Burnett, Margaret Brennan, Dennis Kneale, Trish Regan and Rebecca Jarvis.

And yes, CNBC has retooled by adding, among others, Kate Kelly, Mandy Drury, Brian Sullivan and Herb Greenberg--or, I should put it, re-adding Greenberg, since he had worked at CNBC before (and wrote for MarketWatch as well)

CNBC has the kind of name recognition that broadcasting executives salivate over. What ESPN is to sports and MTV is to music, CNBC is to business news. Bloomberg TV and Fox Business, which like MarketWatch, is owned by News Corp. (NWSA:$17.44,00$-0.08,00-0.46%) , are trying hard to make inroads, but CNBC remains the standard-bearer in the field. (Note: Through its affiliation with Dow Jones, MarketWatch has had a relationship with CNBC, and I have appeared on CNBC occasionally).

I started noticing a change at CNBC two years ago, after Jon Stewart of "The Daily Show" blasted the network for misleading investors before and during the notorious financial meltdown. CNBC should've felt cowed by Stewart's charges.

At the same time, two seismic events occurred within CNBC. Jonathan Wald, who headed its U.S. news coverage, left the network. (He now presides over Piers Morgan's show on CNN.) Ratigan, also departed CNBC--and now hosts an hourlong show on MSNBC.

Wald helped make CNBC more interesting by encouraging its on-air journalists to be entertaining. That's fine--up to a point. I've written in this space that I don't like mindless small talk and preening by TV journalists.

Ratigan was unique. He had a way of making economic news seem interesting, exciting, even. The stakes definitely seemed higher when he was talking, in his rapid-fire, emotional way, about even the most mundane stock-market movement.

Now, when it comes to pizzazz, it looks like we'll have to settle for moments like on Wednesday, when we saw David Faber appear on camera from Las Vegas-- without a necktie.

(Jon Friedman is Media Editor for MarketWatch in New York. He can be reached at 415-439-6400 or via email at AskNewswires@dowjones.com.)

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

05-13-110801ET

Copyright © 2011 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.