How Warren Buffett Protégé David Sokol Lost His Way

saumil

"On CNBC, Sokol framed this chronology as beginning with his own investment interests and extending only as an afterthought to Berkshire's. "I'm trying to invest my family's capital," he said, "and if I see a company that I think is interesting and potentially undervalued, to not mention it to Warren, to me, seems inappropriate." As for his own conduct, Sokol said it was blameless. "

Trying to invest his family's capital BUT Berkshire stock at $200billion cannot possibly result in a reasonable return, so the 'little' companies Berkshire acquires can offer higher returns. I take this incident as further evidence that Berkshire is a turtle, only slightly beating the S&P over time going forward.

. I take this incident as further evidence that Berkshire is a turtle, only slightly beating the S&P over time going forward.

But has confirmed this in the past. He has stated that Berkshire will probably only beat the S&P 500 by a couple points over the long term annually. However, let's look at this from a different perspective.

Assume that over the next 20 years, Berkshire beats the S&P 500 by 2% a year, which isn't bad.

Studies have shown that only about 20% of large cap funds will beat the S&P 500 over a 20 year period. After taxes, it's not unreasonable to think that Berkshire will be in the 10% of large cap investments of a 20 year period. So, you can do virtually no work and probably be in the top 10%. All with probably less volatility.