Shameless plug alert: Looking for two equity analysts to hire

I have enjoyed Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax for quite some time.  There is no job board on here so I thought I would just post here.  I hope that is ok.

I am looking to hire a senior and junior analyst for my NYC-based hedge fund, Fertilemind Capital.

I have decided to do away with the usual resume game and I have launched a website to host a stock-picking contest @ http://www.capitalistcollective.com.  The four best stock pickers will be flown to New York where I will have the grand finale -- Apprentice style.

So if you would like a shot at the job just give your best stock pick at Capitalist Collective.  If you know of someone who might be interested I am giving away two copies of Margin of Safety for the top two referrals.

Thanks for your time.

• 3 weeks later...

You probably want to define Junior and Senior Analyst somewhere on the website, besides the difference in pay.  How will you decide what bucket the applicants go in?  I'm guessing it has to do with years experience but could be wrong. 

CapitalistCollective,

Can you please tell us a little more about your fund and your investment philosophy?

Also what about a little bit more about yourself, how long you have been in the industry and what you have done prior to the fund?

I hope I am not being intrusive, this is just an unorthodox method of finding analysts and I'd like more information.

Fertilemind Capital is a value investing shop based in New York.  We invest in North American microcaps in technology, media and telecoms as well as companies in consumer products, retail and business services.

Junior Analyst is for someone with an undergrad degree and 0-3 years professional experience and a Senior Analyst is for someone with 5-7 years professional experience.

The idea should be well-thought out and rigorously researched.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

To the extent a position requires a specific competency, I never understood the merit of a resume.  You are a very wise individual to adopt this approach and I expect you will be rewarded handsomely (given you are capable of weeding out know-nothings).

Thanks Mpauls -- I believe you are particularly correct in something like value investing as it needs such an eclectic knowledge and skill base.

In order to be a successful value investor you have to be able to crunch numbers of course but you also have to have an ability to understand the correlation of those numbers to reality.  You also have to have a social scientist's love for qualitative research as well as a  gambling's man understanding of a calculated risk.

Can you find that in a resume?  My calculated riskmeter says no.  You can find it in a stock pick though.

Valuecfa, I am not sure what you mean when you say, "why a particular stock is their best idea for your contest (in addition to just picking a stock)"?

I think the best stock for the contest would be the best stock for any analyst to recommend to a portfolio manager -- one, according to the best research and calculations, provides the most reward with the least risk.

Valuecfa, I am not sure what you mean when you say, "why a particular stock is their best idea for your contest (in addition to just picking a stock)"?

I think the best stock for the contest would be the best stock for any analyst to recommend to a portfolio manager -- one, according to the best research and calculations, provides the most reward with the least risk.

Sorry,I wasn't very clear. I meant that it might be better for the job candidate to submit a research report on the company explaining why the stock they pick is their best idea. (or even better have them pick several stocks, and submit reports on each of them). This way you can judge their analytical skill in addition to how well their investment thesis played out.

Just picking a stock and getting lucky might get you several candidates at the end (for the final interview) that did just that...get lucky. I'm sure you are aware of various stock picking contests where the winner knows little to nothing about picking stocks, and he/she just got lucky.

My younger brother, while in business graduate school, came in first or second place (i can't recall exactly, but he was at the top) in a class stock picking competition that lasted one year. He randomly chose 3 companies that he could not change throughout the year. He happened to, by chance, pick 3 defensive companies (if i recall Playboy co. and several beer companies were what he picked--i know real mature  :P) and then the market fell quite abruptly at the time and his defensive picks put him at the top of his class for this competition, even though he knows relatively little about stock analysis. He just randomly picked 3 companies and they all happened to work out ....Good thing he decided to go to law school after getting his graduate degree...he is a much better immigration lawyer then stock picker.  -By the way this was a finance class with very bright students, and he just got lucky and happened to beat them in this stock picking contest. It's not the best method in my opinion, just having a stock picking contest. You might have group of final candidates in the end that know little about stock picking, but happened to win a stock picking contest. That's why i was suggesting adding a few other parameters that will help you judge a job candidate's skill vs. luck.

He randomly chose 3 companies that he could not change throughout the year. He happened to, by chance, pick 3 defensive companies (if i recall Playboy co. and several beer companies were what he picked--i know real mature  :P)

By the way, reminds me of the Playboy stock picking contest, where Playboy bunnies were picking stocks. The winner bunny completely killed most of the mutual funds and hedge funds.

http://dealbreaker.com/playboy-stock-picking-contest/

Oh I see -- no, it's not just pick a stock symbol and whichever performs the best gets the job.  You have to write a research brief as well as give constructive criticism to other contestants and then defend the research brief from the constructive criticism.

You are obviously welcome to join the site and just see what is going on.