Was David Sokol Ethically and Morally Bankrupt Over His Lubrizol Trade?

Guest ValueCarl
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would opine that "bankrupt" is a bit harsh as that has the connotation of being completely and utterly without ethics/morals. I do not think that Sokol acted in a manor completely and utterly voice of ethics/morals. I do think that he was wrong, that he pushed the envelope too far, but "bankrupt" is too stern a term for me, personally, to desribe his actions.

-Crip

Guest ValueCarl

When a man sits at the right hand of God, is taught his covenants while eating his bread and drinking his wine, the standard of conduct he must adhere to is nothing short of divine. In the world of finance where MONEY is GOD, the system has conveniently EVOLVED into GREY MATTER as opposed to BLACK or WHITE for reasons I will refrain from exploring right now. Deep Capture has done a fine job identifying the "cause and effect" reasons for America's current dilemma over the years.

By betraying his Messiah, Mr. Sokol is no different than Judas for having left the LIGHT in favor of DARKNESS. Without a doubt, he makes Martha Stewart appear as the Virgin Martha, while elevating himself on a plane with Mark Cuban.

Human beings understand the difference between right and wrong subliminally and intuitively all the time, and no justification in the pursuit of diluting bad behavior-this wrong is not as bad as that one-is acceptable in a system where "RULES OF LAW" and "CODES OF CONDUCT" are supposed to EXIST to deter all types of BAD BEHAVIOR whenever they appear on the surface, and regardless of whomever is displaying such ugly nature.

Vote with your gut. This was not a trick question! The fact that a disciple of the New Value Messiah wasn't intimately consulting with him all along while acting as his agent in the world, tells us there is and was grave danger appearing inside The House of Buffett. As a matter of fact, this David of great wealth and stored up value, betrayed his Master for as little as $3M SHEKELS.              

Guest FFHfan

@ ValueCarl

What has religion to do with his misbehavior? ::) ??? It was a corporate governance/ethics problem. Plus Sokol was paid in US Dollar not in Shekel. Weird metaphor.

Guest ValueCarl

Money is a religion oftentimes a "GOD" for many on this planet, I am sorry to say, FFHfan. It is a "belief system" not confined nor discouraged by any race, color, or creed. Lest you believe I am alien for creating such an analogy, refer to Mr. Buffett's own comments about wanting to see "The Messiah" whilst referring to "The Father of Value Investing," Mr. Benjamin Graham. It is not a far stretch by any means to attribute society's fixation towards this tool-especially the society who permeate boards like this one-to men in the business world like Mr. Buffett, first and foremost. It's a nice to tool to have versus not have, but not necessarily a complete "GAME CHANGER!"

With "Passover" and "Easter" upon us, as rich men are circling around their tables to celebrate their success amongst their brethren, my analogy is also part of my own strange humor.  ;)

Got money? Get some religion!  ;D   

As for men like Sokol focused on "Building Family Dynasties," his reputation or character has now been tainted rather than continuing to garner the respect of the main stream public like his partial mentor had before him. That's part of the travesty tied to this story besides the fact that he dragged the most gifted man of finance the world will ever know, into the mud along with him. 

In the final analysis, it remains just a tool, so try not to store up too many treasures here on earth thinking it's going to be taken with you or maintained by those you're leaving behind! Life is fragile, and then you're gone without any warning. The things we leave behind us here on earth, can be measured more in the types of characters we leave behind who were affected by our presence before we left them.