Audio books and podcasts

alwaysinvert

I've become quite an audio book junkie since I got my Iphone last summer. The problem is I'm running out of interesting audio books, and sadly many of the books I would want to listen to is not available in audio format, so I'm kind of running out of ideas. The genres of interest are pop science/social sciences/anything investing or business related. Pretty broad, in other words.

Podcast recommendations are also appreciated. At the moment I regularly listen to WNYC, Freakonomics and 60 minutes, among others, but would like some more suggestions.

The most recent audio books I listened to were The Greatest Trade Ever and Michael Lewis' book on the same subject (the name escapes me now lol) and I found them very well-fitted to the format with the narrative style, so I will start out by warmly recommending them. Also Guns, Germs and Steel was a great listen.

Hit me!

I am listening to Money Ball right now, its pretty good.

I recommend

Any Roger Lowenstien, Malcolm Gladwell (I would start with Outliers and What the Dog Saw), and any and every Michael Lewis book. Greenblatts the little book is also in audio format.

I am listening to Money Ball right now, its pretty good.

I recommend

Any Roger Lowenstien, Malcolm Gladwell (I would start with Outliers and What the Dog Saw), and any and every Michael Lewis book. Greenblatts the little book is also in audio format.

Those are all good recommendations. I've read most of it but will check out Greenblatt's new book, although his last one wasn't that great in comparison to his first. Thanks.

For Podcasts: If you interested in technology, there are the TWIT network podcasts. They have podcasts in different topics of the technology field. Their flagship podcast This week in Tech. It is a roundtable with people who have worked in the business for quite sometime. Their discussions, insights, and experiences are interesting.

If you want to hear another interesting podcast there is one called grammar girl. The only investing podcast that is amazing to listen to is Geoff Gannon's investor questions podcast. He is always insightful.

Thanks for all the input.

I haven't read that many business story books and found most of them to be glorifying and not very nuanced at all (written sloppily to sell only by name association), but of course there must be some golden nuggets in that lot too. Will dig through and see if something stands out. I listened to an interview with one of the authors of the Goldman Sachs book and found it very interesting, so maybe I will start with that one. Can you pick out 5 favourites, hpmst3?

Will check out the podcasts mentioned as well.

No wonder Apple makes heaps of money, btw. Most of these books are almost impossible to come by in a less legal way and I have spent several hundreds of dollars in Itunes Store the last few months...

I live in Portland, OR and get these kinds of books (including the Steve jobs biography) from our library system all the time. I can request interlibrary loans online from their website, which means I can get pretty much any book in publication at no cost. The only book I've ever requested and not received is klarman's margin of safety. . I can also access value line and morningstar paid sites through the library website, as well as a very good selection of audio titles.

I don't know if this is an amazing exception to most library systems in north America or not. Maybe worth a look at your local library system?

No wonder Apple makes heaps of money, btw. Most of these books are almost impossible to come by in a less legal way and I have spent several hundreds of dollars in Itunes Store the last few months...

I live in Portland, OR and get these kinds of books (including the Steve jobs biography) from our library system all the time. I can request interlibrary loans online from their website, which means I can get pretty much any book in publication at no cost. The only book I've ever requested and not received is klarman's margin of safety. . I can also access value line and morningstar paid sites through the library website, as well as a very good selection of audio titles.

I don't know if this is an amazing exception to most library systems in north America or not. Maybe worth a look at your local library system?

I don't live in the US, so sadly that option is not there for me. Guess I can console myself with the fact that the eventual knowledge I gain is cumulative and hopefully will prove to be a good investment. If not, then I at least had a good time for the money I handed Apple :)

Thank you very much for that list, hpmst3. I think I will start by downloading the quant book right away, seems right up my alley.

"The State We're In" is my favorite podcast--excellent interviews and global stories. It's produced by Radio Netherlands.

http://www.rnw.nl/english/dossier/thestatewerein

Recent episodes and segments...

William Browder managed the biggest investment fund in Russian history and it was stolen from him by corrupt government officials. The lawyer for his firm, Sergei Magnitsky, was imprisoned, tortured, and died after one year in custody. Now William is taking up the fight in honour of Sergei’s belief that justice will eventually prevail.

http://www.rnw.nl/english/radioshow/seeking-justice

When Gary Aguirre took on insider trading in Heller Financial stock shortly after he joined the Securities and Exchange Commission, his investigation was shut down and he was fired. http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/keeping-watch-wall-street

There's a group out of the DC area with the cheesy name of "The Wise Investor Group".  Despite the bad name, they have had a radio show for something like 15-20 years.  I think it is semi-national at this point, but I'm not sure in how many markets.  For a show intended for a "mass" audience, they are pretty good value guys.  The managing partner, Randy Beeman, just put out a book called something like Value Returns.  I haven't read it as it's supposed to be pretty basic, but I think people who need an introduction generally like it.  On their show they generally go over investments they are looking at and for a radio show give some pretty good detail.  They generally stick with large cap value names, none of which are going to be a surprise for the people on this board.  They like things like INTC, ADP, MSFT, BBY, etc.  Once in a while they will mention "edgier" type stuff like SVU, DF, etc.  Sometimes they do some financial planning type discussions, but mostly keep to the investments.  They do a weekly Sunday show and a mid week podcast which are all on ITunes.  It's enjoyable enough if you are killing some time and better than most of the crap you hear on the radio.

• 4 years later...
Guest notorious546

here's an few that might be of interest to you guys.

Wealthtrack, star talk, tim ferriss, bloomberg masters in business and we study billionaires

the following is a list of podcast that I listen to and find useful.

The knowledge project by Farnamstreet

the Big trade Series

Masters in business

Wealth Track podcast

Value investing podcast by MOI

CFA institute Audio Podcast

CFA institute take 15 Series

Optimize with Brain Johnson

MTA association podcast

Freaknomics Radio

Guest notorious546

I'm also a fan of Tim Ferris' podcast.

the more i listen to him the more i feel he's an arrogant bastard who thinks he's an expert on everything. Can't seem to stop listening though.

I'm also a fan of Tim Ferris' podcast.

the more i listen to him the more i feel he's an arrogant bastard who thinks he's an expert on everything. Can't seem to stop listening though.

LOL.  An entertaining arrogant bastard then.  I like his show as well.

Surprised there's been no mention of Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcast. The production value, quality, length, and passion for subject matter is unmatched by any other podcast out right now.

If you're not really a fan of history then you're in for a treat. If you are a fan of history you're in for a hell of a ride and you can thank me later.

There's about 100+ hours of content you wont be able to get through fast enough, and when you're done you'll keep going back to relisten.

Surprised there's been no mention of Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcast. The production value, quality, length, and passion for subject matter is unmatched by any other podcast out right now.

If you're not really a fan of history then you're in for a treat. If you are a fan of history you're in for a hell of a ride and you can thank me later.

There's about 100+ hours of content you wont be able to get through fast enough, and when you're done you'll keep going back to relisten.

I've mentioned and recommended it before here.  It is by far the best podcast out there and one of the only ones I listen to whenever there is a new episode.  The other podcasts I listen to occasionally and intermittently, some are Tim Ferris, Bulletproof Executive (mostly health related, I still drink bulletproof coffee every morning), School Sucks (only the first 50-100 episodes or so are really good, downhill after that), Freetalk Live (some good, some boring),  Freedomain Radio (listen to the first few thousand shows, his recent psychological craptrap is unlistenable).  And lately I've been listening to audiobooks almost exclusively.  I find myself listening to books that I've read and remember enjoying.  The audio production is a whole different experience and some of them are very well done.  I'm listening to Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle now, it is something like 70 hours of audio, but very well performed.  The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were also very well done audio books.

• 2 years later...

This list hasn't been updated in a while, so I'll throw a couple of logs onto the fire.  Here are some that I listen to on my commute when I don't get on the metro can't read a book.

1. HOW I BUILT THIS. Really Interest podcast interviewing founders of businesses (Atari, Dell, Lululemon, Linkedin)

2. WE STUDY BILLIONAIRES: this is lumpy.  The roundtable and interviews are good, the rest is just okay.

3. BOSS FILES: This is a podcast by a professional journalist and has a surprising number of big name CEOs (Howard Schultz, Sara Blakely, Jamie Dimon)

4. THE PITCH:  Basically it's Shark Tank.