Warren and Charlie vs. Alchohol

nodnub
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So Warren has stated that he has never smoked and never drinks alcohol.  Maybe this is the secret formula? --kidding ;D

Does anyone here know if Charlie Munger drinks alcohol at all?  

I could only find the following Munger quote.  "Drugs and alcohol impair judgment without awareness".  but no reference to his personal habits.

It had me wondering: Are value investors more likely to be teetotallers?

Well, I'm the only one who has voted so far.  And no, not all value investors are teetotallers!  I drink a cup of coffee every day, and I usually have at least one glass of wine or some other hard drink every weekend...usually no more than 3-4 a month.  I drink green tea with my dim sum or chinese food, and I usually will have a cup of tea every evening.  I usually have 2 cans of Coke a week as well...usually when I'm watching my Canucks play.  Not a real beer drinker, other than Guiness or the occasional pale ale if I'm out some where.  Cheers!   

Is abstaining from alcohol really something a lot of a value investors do?

If you read the poll results, you could see that the answer is no.  Only 20% of 29 voting boardmembers abstain from alcohol.  

Of course, it is unlikely that any of us will replicate WEB's success in investing regardless of what we pour in our drinking glass.

Is abstaining from alcohol really something a lot of a value investors do?

If you read the poll results, you could see that the answer is no.  Only 20% of 29 voting boardmembers abstain from alcohol.  

Of course, it is unlikely that any of us will replicate WEB's success in investing regardless of what we pour in our drinking glass.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Is that more than average for the population?

Hahaha - I'm not seeing that ad & what is showing on my screen is...

"Hangover Cure Review Hangover Cures Reviewed Drink And Feel Fine The Next Day www.hangovercuresreview.com"

...seems "Sober College" has given up on us and someone else thinks we may need help??

Interesting results. Some of us don't drink because we're nerds and others of us drink because we are! ;)

It would be interesting to see about other lifestyle habits of the board. I wonder if we all eat as much like a kid as Warren... I am guessing Charlie would be a bit more distinguished in his diet. Hell, it'd even be interesting to see if there were any of the investment banker style coke heads on here!

value investors that i know drink are David Einhorn and Peter Cundrill. Hell, Cundrill found out about value investing after a hangover. I wonder if discovering value investing change his lifestyle.

Regarding Cundill. It's interesting that he died so young for a value guy at 72. A lot of these guy live until old age and function quite nicely. I don't think 72 really qualifies as being that old anymore.

Cundill contracted Fragil X, which is why he died "early". I believe that Donald J. Trump has stated several times that he does not drink or smoke. He may be the value exception that proves the value drinkers rule?

I also read that Tom Ward, SandRidge CEO, likes to eat a steak six nights a week for dinner. Buffett eats lots of cheeseburgers, perhaps a carnivore index would be more instructive than an alchohol index? Show me the manager that has outperformed and is also a vegan,

Usually have a few beers or glasses of wine on Friday and Saturday nights, and once in a while during the week. With a 2-month-old baby, the amount of drinking I do is quite a bit less than before. I also home-brew quite a bit, or at least I did before the baby.

I'm with the Leucadia guys:

"Once again, we remind you that wine is food and it fosters both good times and laughter with family and friends, something that is too often missing in the world today. Raise a glass soon with your loved ones."

Cundill contracted Fragil X, which is why he died "early". I believe that Donald J. Trump has stated several times that he does not drink or smoke. He may be the value exception that proves the value drinkers rule?

I also read that Tom Ward, SandRidge CEO, likes to eat a steak six nights a week for dinner. Buffett eats lots of cheeseburgers, perhaps a carnivore index would be more instructive than an alchohol index? Show me the manager that has outperformed and is also a vegan,

Isn't Fragile X congenital?  Please explain.