Prem vs. Warren

Guest Bronco

Guest Bronco

It's about time these two giants squared off.  They have been avoiding each other for years, but that needs to end.

Buffett has held the title belt - has he been ducking the challenger?

I dunno - but you decide - what company is a better investment right now?  Which is the better value (same question I guess)?  For what reasons?

We spend our time on the corner of Berk and Fairfax - time to see who owns the corner and who is running scared.

Personally, I have been buying BRK at these levels.  What about you?

I bought BRK last week and will buy more under 75-80$ if possible.

I am holding FFH since a couple of months and added recently, over time I will pick up more around BV.

You can't really compare BRK and FFH btw... Both are cheap compared to the market.

It's about time these two giants squared off.  They have been avoiding each other for years, but that needs to end.

Buffett has held the title belt - has he been ducking the challenger?

We spend our time on the corner of Berk and Fairfax - time to see who owns the corner and who is running scared.

nice one bronco :)

you should have been a pro wrestling announcer. you missed your true calling.

I've been picking BRK over FFH at recent prices, so far not even l'affaire Sokol has allowed the purchase of BRK shares at below 200 Billion market cap.  With the annual meeting around the corner, which includes pre-release of first quarter earnings, and most of Berkshire's Japan exposure coming through their Swiss Re quota share agreement - folks might actually start to focus on the business again.

Gotta love that the 1.64 Billion Goldman windfall this quarter will be taxed as a preferred dividend due to the clever structuring of the product.

Guest Bronco

Just trying to spark some interest.

I gag everytime I see the LVLT thread pop up.

Its ok to take a side by the way - I won't tell either one that we like the other one better.

I like BRK b/c of its diversity, b/c of its crappy home "building" businesses that will someday produce some nice $$$, and b/c of the railroad.

What I like more than anything is all the cash Warren will have to play with, and the FCF that is going up and up and up.  

Every time I think about looking at Coke or PG - I end up at BRK instead b/c he owns some in the company plus a whole lot more.  

Still hoping Warren spins off Dairy Queen - I hate that business.

Just trying to spark some interest.

I gag everytime I see the LVLT thread pop up.

Its ok to take a side by the way - I won't tell either one that we like the other one better.

I like BRK b/c of its diversity, b/c of its crappy home "building" businesses that will someday produce some nice $$$, and b/c of the railroad.

What I like more than anything is all the cash Warren will have to play with, and the FCF that is going up and up and up.  

Every time I think about looking at Coke or PG - I end up at BRK instead b/c he owns some in the company plus a whole lot more.  

Still hoping Warren spins off Dairy Queen - I hate that business.

What do you hate about Dairy Queen International?  I'm sure you know it's a licensing / Franchise business...  Expanding into China, Egypt, Macau, Saudi Arabia, etc...  Very little capital employed in the business and the dough keeps flowing up to Omaha with little need to reinvest a cent.  Plus it's minuscule inside Berkshire.  

31.7% return on capital employed when we purchased it.  Year after year...

Ah Bronco, you notice that the board's name is the "Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax"?  There is no need to pick one over the other.  Fairfax would not have existed if Berkshire didn't exist first.  Boardmembers hold a special spot for each...do you pick between your mother and your wife?   ;D

Now if you want to get down to brass taxes and put a wager on how long before the Flyer's get knocked out of the playoffs, then by all means do so!  I'm guessing they win the first round and get knocked out of the second.  Doesn't really matter, since the parade runs through Vancouver this year!  Cheers!

Guest Bronco

Globalfinance - I think I get you every time with that.  I have nothing against Dairy Queen.

Parsad - if you follow Philadelphia sports (with some of the best talk radio globally and home of the Wing Bowl) - you know controversy is a good thing. 

Of course Prem and Warren (and company) are both respected - but it is more fun to throw those bad asses into the ring and see who comes out on top.

if both started with 1 million right now, or 100mil for that matter which would you invest with

Again, these are all or nothing propositions.  I would just throw half with Buffett and half with Prem.  Why choose?  Both have advantages over the other, as well as disadvantages.  Cheers!