Munger speaking at Ross School of Business (Video)

Liberty

I know that's from a while ago, and I've seen it a few times by now - but listening again I hadn't caught his comment on predicting coming disappointment among universities that all invested in timberland at the same time ("they all purchased in the same groves").  There was a similar sentiment expressed in one of the Heilbrunn Center for Graham & Dodd Investing newsletters, where the 'short' winner of Ackman's pershing square prize was a timber reit short.  (the long winner was BR)

I know that's from a while ago, and I've seen it a few times by now - but listening again I hadn't caught his comment on predicting coming disappointment among universities that all invested in timberland at the same time ("they all purchased in the same groves").  There was a similar sentiment expressed in one of the Heilbrunn Center for Graham & Dodd Investing newsletters, where the 'short' winner of Ackman's pershing square prize was a timber reit short.  (the long winner was BR)

That's interesting, Grantham seems to be of opposite view. Do you have a link to that newsletter?

I would first recommend searching www.charlierose.com for some of his interviews...  His autobiography "From Third World to First: The Singapore Story" is a much heavier read.   

I recently finished reading FTWtF.  I highly recommend it.  Personally, it clarified the Chinese government and mindset for me more than any other book I have ever read.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this link. It is a nice collection of articles on Mr. Lee Kuan Yew. I have been in Singapore for work related reasons for the past few months, and have been very impressed with the efficient service culture, business friendly, family friendly atmosphere. The locals and non-locals alike credit the creation of this wonderful place mainly to the vision, passion, and execution of ideas by this one person. Singapore has gone from being a 3rd world country in 1965 to a 1st world country today, with a per capita income higher than the US. His platform is small, but his vision is big, and the proof of his success is this country that he has built. Only after I coming here did I realize that the center of gravity for business and jobs has indeed shifted east and one senses that the Asian economies seem robust enough to decouple their long standing attachment to Western Europe and North America. Enjoy!

http://www.lee-kuan-yew.com/

That's interesting, Grantham seems to be of opposite view. Do you have a link to that newsletter?

Here's the entire archives of the newsletters, they are usually interesting:

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/valueinvesting/resources/newsletter

The issue I was referencing is the Spring 2010 issue, PCL discussed page 18.  The entire Spring '10 issue is good.