Tom Stanley

frog03

Web site was interesting to read. Thanks for posting.

Interesting thing was that his funds have only owned 24 different (total) companies since inception.

He has had great success. Obviously his circle of competence is very well defined.

I looked back + counted all the different securities I have owned over the last 20 years it sums up to 40+. He is a pro, with more $$$ to manage.

A reminder that it is wise to be concentrated + focused on a few great opportunities over a lifetime i.e. the 20 hole punch card that WEB advocates...I am way over.

• 1 year later...

Interesting thing was that his funds have only owned 24 different (total) companies since inception.

He has had great success. Obviously his circle of competence is very well defined.

I looked back + counted all the different securities I have owned over the last 20 years it sums up to 40+. He is a pro, with more $$$ to manage.

A reminder that it is wise to be concentrated + focused on a few great opportunities over a lifetime i.e. the 20 hole punch card that WEB advocates...I am way over.

were did you get that 24 companies stat ?

were did you get that 24 companies stat ?

Sorry Green, I couldn t remember where I saw that stat.

I think I saw it here: http://www.resolutefunds.com/rgf_story.html

"In 2005 it became increasingly concerning to us that the Ontario government’s new regulations, first National Instruments 81-106 and then 81-107, would severely impair our ability to make investors money. The reasons were extensive but the reduction in the confidentiality of what we were buying and selling was one example. As we never held 25 stocks during the entire life of the Fund, provisions requiring us to report our top 25 holdings would effectively force us to disclose our entire portfolio every three months."

That passage was in reference to disclosing a funds top 25 holdings at a point in time (ie. quarterly).  I believe he is saying that his funds has never held 25 holdings at any one point in time.  Cumulatively, who knows but it is a lot less than the Templeton Growth Fund and others