Dr. Michael Burry Will Give a Lecture...

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2011/03/michael-burry-chancellors-lecture-april-5-vanderbilt/

Michael Burry, a Vanderbilt University School of Medicine alumnus profiled in author Michael Lewis’ bestselling book The Big Short, is best-known as the first financial analyst to predict America’s financial crisis. Burry will present a lecture about the causes of the meltdown as part of the 2010-2011 Chancellor’s Lecture Series.

If you attend it would be greatly appreciated if you could provide detailed notes and post them on the CoB&F board.  ;D

Will it be streamed online?

I think so. The other lecture this year was. I sent them an email. I'll let you guys know what I found out. It's a few hour drive and I would need to take off work, so if it's online I may or may not go. It would be awesome to see Burry though. I've went through the Big Short and I'm going through The Greatest Trade Ever. He's brilliant.

alright, guys. here is the response.

"Dear Paul,

Thank you for your email and comments about the Chancellor's Lecture Series.  I do not anticipate a lack of seating but to ensure getting a seat, you may want to arrive early for the reception at 4:30 p.m.  The lecture hall will be open, and you can put a jacket in a chair to make sure you get a seat and then enjoy the reception.

At present, Dr. Burry has not granted permission for a live stream or recording of the lecture.

I hope that you are able to join us for the lecture."

If anyone goes, would be immensely grateful if you ask the following questions during the Q & A.

1.What are mistakes he has made in investing?

2.What checklist he uses when screening for ideas? What does he try to look out for in "special situations"?

Wouldnt mind paying for any costs involved here. Just drop me an email ageofprophet@gmail.com

Cheers

Did anyone but me notice the edit in this video it appears that he made some unflattering comments about some participants and it appears that this was deleted.

I noticed at the end of the video when it got to Q/A. There was only one question that was shown. I wanted to hear the other questions that was asked.

The most interesting part of his interview was captured by zero hedge:

Michael Burry's ironic plight against pervasive lemming groupthink (such as the one gripping the nation currently) has been well documented in Michael Lewis' "The Big Short." It is thus not surprising that the topic of his speech to the Vanderbilt University (of which he is an alum) Chancellor's Lecture series is the current flawed conventional thought paradigm: that of central planning, of quantitative easing and of dollar debasement by the Fed, which are far more dangerous than anything experienced during the credit bubble as when the current regime finally fails, and it will fail, there will be nobody to bail out the US. From Burry's speech: "I am worried about a future of a nation that refuses to acknowledge the true causes for the crisis. A historic opportunity was lost. America has instead chosen its poison as its cure... Today I expect the US government to attempt to continue easy money policies into the next presidential term, past the foreclosure crisis, and past the corporate and public refinancing humps that are forthcoming. Junk bonds incredibly are again at all time highs. Quantitative Easing seems to be working for now. Buit this is an invalid validation of what America is doing. This is in fact a Pyrrhic gamble. As we continue to debase our currency, Bernanke says he is not printing money, again I disagree. As it stands I get an email from the Fed saying we bought another X billion in Treasurys. I don't know - that's pretty clear to me. In fact this program QE2 its scope and breadth raises the severe question of the Treasury's needs. The government's borrowing of money for the purposes of injecting cash into society, bailing out banks, brokers and consumers, is a short-sighted easy decoision for a population that has not yet learned that short-sighted, easy strategies are the route to long-term ruin. We never quite achieved the catharsis necessary to stoke the reevaluation of our wants, need, and feers. Importantly, the toxic twins: fiat currency and an activist Fed remain firmly entrenched, even more so with the financial reforms last year."

Burry's practical advice: open a bank account in Canada.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/michael-burry-toxic-twins-fiat-currency-and-activist-fed-set-route-long-term-ruin

Did anyone but me notice the edit in this video it appears that he made some unflattering comments about some participants and it appears that this was deleted.

I noticed at the end of the video when it got to Q/A. There was only one question that was shown. I wanted to hear the other questions that was asked.

I wonder if they'll put that up later.